Author Topic: Gentle laxative - what's best?  (Read 1329 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Gentle laxative - what's best?
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 17:34:47 PM »
Thanks for that. There is a herbalist shop across the road. I will ask her. He doesn't usually have a problem, so hopefully it won't be needed as an ongoing thing. The vet said he can't feel any poo so he must be eating so little, he is absorbing most of what he eats. (Well actually, first of, he said that he could feel a massive, cement-like blockage - but then he said it was his spine  :evillaugh: )
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline paddypaws101

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Nellie, Paddy, Murphy ( Now all at the Bridge), Peggy and Mitzy and Milo, Millie and Monty, Woody and Wiggins
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 17:29:50 PM »
Soaked linseeds can be used on an ongoing basis as a gentle preventative in cases of constipation. Simply soak a teaspoon or two of golden linseeds in a little boiled hot water. When cool store in the fridge and add a drizzle to each meal. Tasteless and well tolerated by most cats, this will gently lubricate the stool.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 19:46:29 PM »
I already add water to all of his food. He is a very good drinker though. I think one of the reason Willow went downill so quickly is because she couldn't keep up her water intake. Everything he eats is pretty much hit or miss. I guess I can find out online, but what is the dosage for a cat - I think it said 15ml for a human - so I'm guessing 1ml?

I paid £3.99 for a 300ml bottle (they also had 600ml for £5.99) - I wonder what the vet would have charged?  :shify:

They charged me just short of £24 for an already open pot of Ipakitine which she estimated to be 0.9 of it left. I pay £14.50 for a full one from Vetuk  :evillaugh: - I will have to make sure I don't run out again and am going to make a point of only getting prescription things from them in the future.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 19:51:00 PM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 19:08:24 PM »
Yes, it's exactly the same stuff, just a lot cheaper directly from the chemist. I used to use it for Samantha when her bowel muscles became lazy in old age. I often just popped into the chemist for it.

Maybe the pharmacist thought I was anorexic!  :rofl:

However, it does work by drawing water from the body. Can you add water to his food, or persuade him to drink more some other way, to prevent dehydration?  I don't know much about CRF, although Samantha's kidneys failed in the last few weeks of her life. Can they eat oil? If they can, I'd suggest either adding a little olive oil to food, or giving tinned fish in oil. I do the latter with mine every month or so to prevent furball. I'm not sure whether this is okay for CRF cats.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 19:14:50 PM by Hippykitty »
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Gentle laxative - what's best?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 14:09:29 PM »
I was at the vet this morning picking up some binders for Clapton (forgot to order online in time) - I got there just before closing and she sid lactulose but it is prescription  :shify: - the vet hd gone. She said if he hasn't gone by the morn, they are open 9 - 11am on Sundays. It is a 10 mile round trip. My local chemist sells it - Just wondering if I should get some?

My main reservation is taking water out of the body of a cat with CRF.

Link to CatChat