Author Topic: cat only had 1 kitten  (Read 1217 times)

Offline angel-77

• Senior Cat
  • Tia & Oscar
  • Slave to: Tia (Tee'bo) & Oscar (Oscardoodles)
Re: cat only had 1 kitten
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 12:30:41 PM »
She has been to the vet, no more kittens inside and the vet thinks the kitten is 3 days old so the Mum must have given birth the day before she reveiled it!!

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 07:59:13 AM »
You might also want to tell her that males can produce sperm for up to 6 weeks after being neutered, so she will have to be very careful with them, or she will be risking another pregnancy.
Please spay your cat

Offline angel-77

• Senior Cat
  • Tia & Oscar
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 13:32:09 PM »
Ok, will let her know, she also has a GSD puppy thet the poor female cat hates!!

Thankyou for the advice
Emma :)

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 13:22:04 PM »
It is normal for mother cat to eat stillborns. Your neighbour needs to get the entire tom neutered and well away as he could cause the mother cat to reject/kill her kitten.
Vet check is a good idea but this mother and baby need peace and quiet after that.

Offline angel-77

• Senior Cat
  • Tia & Oscar
cat only had 1 kitten
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 12:27:34 PM »
Hi, was chatting to one of my neighbours last night and she started talking about her cat, she knew she was pregnant and was due in a weeks time, anyway she was woken up 2 nights ago by the cat carrying a kitten into the bedroom.

It was clean and fluffy with its eyes still shut.

The female had been hiding under one of the beds so my neighbour looked to see if there were anymore, nothing, no kittens, blood or any sign the cat had given birth, she has had no more since.

If the cat had given birth to stillborns would she have eaten them? The Dad of the kittens is in the household too and has been acting odd, attacking my neighbour and chasing here away from the bedroom.

I have advised she take the mum & kitten to the vet so she can be checked over, apparently the kitten is huge.

Link to CatChat