Author Topic: Clawing and bitting - Kitten  (Read 1219 times)

Offline Tintail

• Kitten
    • My Photography Site
Re: Clawing and bitting - Kitten
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 06:33:40 AM »
Thanks ladies.
I thik I've got the advantage with Beau, our older cat, because he disciplines Merlin really well when he gets out of line (he swats him on the head but with no claws extended).
I use a piece of cloth or a fishing rod toy now to play with him and let's hope it stops.
He is not really hurting me (yet) and he lets go easily...besides all signs point to the fact he was with his mom until 6 weeks (when I found him) which covers the crucial age for teaching (i.e. he knows how to use his litter, he can wash himself and eliminate on his own and drink from a bowl - all these point to him having a mom until the point I found him). The same age I got Beau and he turned out pretty ok ;) (except he is not really the sociable type but that is my fault as it was just me and him for the longest time so he didn't really get used to other people)
Thanks gals!!!
Have a super day!
Tina
Tina, mom to twins John and Cody (4 1/2)
Furmom to Blue Siamese Beau Hugs (almost 6) &
Classic Red Tabby, Merlin Luckycharm (6 weeks - rescued from the mouth of a stray dog!)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 17:10:37 PM »
Its normal for his age, what isnt normal is not having a mum and siblings to teach him manners! Its important you take as much of this role as possible so he gains abit of understanding about when to stop.
Iv got the exact same with my monster, shes nearing 6 months and has little respect for me and my mum who bottle fed her from a week or so old. I dread to think what she would be like if we hadnt tried anything to teach her!  :scared:

First off no finger/hand play, use fishing rod toys or a shoe lace. If he bites and latches on dont squeal, going limp can work (but didnt for my monster). Blowing at their face can also break their attack.

One that was suggested to me was time out, being their substitute cat family means they like your attention so ignoring them isnt good  :evillaugh:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 08:31:31 AM »
sounds about right for a kitten I'd say - I think the conventional wisdom is to not let them bite hands but am sure Julie, Teresa or someone else who wrangles kittens will be able to help

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 08:29:06 AM »
No kitten expert here, but I'd say that's about right. Sounds like he has excess energy and just needs something he really likes instead of fingers. However, the kitten rearers amongst us will offer something more concrete. I have to admit I'd just give in and let him bite me since I turn to mush with kittens.

Offline Tintail

• Kitten
    • My Photography Site
Clawing and bitting - Kitten
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 08:27:12 AM »
Hi gals!
Our new kitten who is about 7 weeks old, really plays with all of us (including our older cat Beau) by clawing and bitting... Is this normal at this age? (he is still missing a few teeth btw).
I try to discourage him by saying "No Merlin" and offer a toy but he REALLY likes the fingers best lol.
Is this an indicator of how he will turn out to be when he is older?
Thanks your insight in advance!
Tina
Tina, mom to twins John and Cody (4 1/2)
Furmom to Blue Siamese Beau Hugs (almost 6) &
Classic Red Tabby, Merlin Luckycharm (6 weeks - rescued from the mouth of a stray dog!)

Link to CatChat