Author Topic: Ripped ligaments in a cats leg  (Read 1207 times)

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
Re: Ripped ligaments in a cats leg
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 18:39:04 PM »
One of my fosters had this and we had two options, either put him on cage rest for 6 weeks with metacam or surgery. The orthopeadic vet said that suregry meant a faster healing time and less chance of arthritic problems in later life. Either way it had to be cage rest.
Nuneaton and Hinckley Cats in Need

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 21:13:30 PM »
Thanks Ruth. I can't believe the vet didn't mention it to him. Poor lad was worried they'd have to give their cat up as they didn't feel they'd be able to keep the situation under control.

Snarf, when I was younger I broke my little toe and ripped every ligament up to knee as well.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 21:02:49 PM »
ive had ripped ligaments before and they are  :censored: painfull! cat will probably be happy to have everything it needs close by and i think as long as it can still see its family and still be surrounded by familiar smells and sounds its the best thing for it. i certainly didnt want to move if i didnt have to!

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 19:20:33 PM »
Shonagh, think of Lexy. 3 months crated with 3 surgeries. They can do it. It's not cruel, but necessary. Without that, the cat won't heal and it will be worse in the long run. 6 weeks is manageable believe me, I had double that with Lexy and it was a drama as I am sure you will recall.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Ripped ligaments in a cats leg
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 19:15:43 PM »
I got a message off someone telling me their vet has diagnosed a ripped ligament in their cats leg and advised she doesn't do anything strenuous for six weeks. This man is really worried because he works quite a lot and his wife looks after their six month old baby so would literally be confined to the house if she has to watch the cat.

I've advised they invest in a dog crate for their cats convalescence period as this makes sense to me; is that cruel or just practical as long as what she needs is in there? They're concerned they can't nurse her as they're expected to.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Link to CatChat