Author Topic: Could he have FIV?  (Read 1373 times)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
Re: Could he have FIV?
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 13:22:09 PM »
Hi Katie.  :hug: I deal with kittens from a feral back ground all the time as a volunteer for CP. (Maybe over a 100 in the last five years.  :evillaugh: ) I've come across just about every disease and infection these little darlings can carry.  :innocent:

From what you describe I would be very surprised if it was FIV that is causing these problems. As Gill and Desley say, they sound very similar to cat flu.  ;) Here's a very brief explanation as to why I think this is the culprit...

Cat flu can lay in the system dormant and 'shed' during times of stress or change to environment or lifestyle. Very many feral kittens come from a background were a strain is carried by a whole colony even though no outward signs can be seen. Think of it like the Herpes virus in humans. It might be something simple that brings it to the surface again. A new tom cat bully in the neighbourhood for example. In your case, I suspect the trauma of going to the vets did it.  :doh: The correct way to treat eruptions of cat flu is by antibiotic injection plus maybe eye drops. With careful treatment the symptoms should settle back down very shortly. (Remember, there are many, many different strains of cat flu and even though kitten was vaccinated at a young age, puss may have been born as a flu carrier or been infected later with a strain not covered by the vaccine.)

FIV is a totally different fish... it's root of transmission is largely blood born as opposed to flu which can be passed on by air. Kittens born with FIV face a high mortality rate. Certainly every FIV diagnosed kitten I've had has died in my care. If kitten was clear of FIV at birth, the next likely chance of infection is fight injury with an infected cat, or mating activity. If your knowledge rules that out (i.e. you got the kitten neutered before sexual maturity) the chances of him contracting FIV is virtually nil.

I think you vet been a bit irresponsible worrying you like this. The term 'FIV' should not be thrown around so glibly to explan a case of snuffles. Certainly agree to the tests but my money is on cat flu and I think you need to research into this condition and you'll soon find the best ways to manage it.  ;) :hug: :hug:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 11:48:27 AM »
I do hate vets that jump to such extremes - if he had a virus at such a young age, it could have affected his immune system leaving him prone to these things, as he has cat flu symptoms, so I would suspect that rather than FIV.
Please spay your cat

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 11:39:53 AM »
I'm not sure hun, but if the vet does recommending testing for FIV, as Gill has already said, make sure they send the test to Glasgow, and not rely on the in-house results which can give false readings.

If, and its a big if, he does turn out to have FIV, don't panic!

My boy Max was diagnosed aged about 2, we had him 9 years before losing him to kidney disease, which can happen to any cat!!  Our newly adopted boy Poot is also FIV+, and he's a bundle of mischief  :Luv: :Luv:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 00:51:47 AM »
sorry dont know the answer but would suspect cat flu.

if the vet tests for fiv , make sure samples are sent to glasgow for a proper result.

fiv cats can live as long as any other cat so dont let the vet panic you.

behind the links button at the top of pages there is all the info about fiv, others on purrs hav fiv cats  :hug: :hug:

Offline KatieJ

• Kitten
Could he have FIV?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 21:05:54 PM »
Hey everyone,

I joined this forum to gain knowledge but I really don't visit enough.  I feel guilty when I have to stop by for a question  :-[

I'll try to keep this fairly short, given the opportunity I'll talk forever about my cats!

Grumpy, two and a half years old, hand raised by myself from birth, factory cat (feral?) parents.  Had a virus at just three weeks old (had antibiotics aganst secondary infections).  Was vaccinated as per normal with kittens.  Missed 1 yr booster last year, was given full vaccination instead three months later, soon became quite sneezy and fed up with a virus directly after the vaccination.  Vet suggested that perhaps he either already had one virus at the time of vaccnation or that perhaps it was FIV.

Now only six months since vaccinations he's sneezing quite violently and has a weepy eye.  Vets tomorrow.

Just wondering in the experience of you guys, would this frequency of virus, taking vaccinations into account, indicate FIV?  Otherwise he's been entirely healthy.  Just for the record I will be asking for a test tomorrow when I'm at the vets just to make sure.

Link to CatChat