Author Topic: Cat stands in poo in litter tray - help!  (Read 2969 times)

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
Re: Cat stands in poo in litter tray - help!
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 13:18:21 PM »
Hi again,

I found the attached piece which will give you a wider idea. It is from an American website but there are some good points within, which assist the learning curve. Hope it helps.

http://cats.about.com/cs/behavioralissues/a/outsidebox_one.htm?p=1
Owning a cat is a lifetime partnership.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi

"I am in favour of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline cenmlj

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 12:41:53 PM »
Sounds like good advice - thanks both. Although I'm not sure it will solve my problem. Both cats copy each other so one goes and then the other. They both do 'number 2's' once in a morning and once at night and I clean the trays immediately so there's rarely anything in there when they next use it.

But I'll give two trays a go and see what happens. I've also taken the flap off the litter box to see if that helps. Problem with a tray (I found) was that they were sometimes missing the tray and going to the loo over the edge. I'll have a look at the other trays you recommend though.

Thanks once again - and please if anyone else has any other suggestions - keep them coming!

Michelle x

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 11:31:56 AM »
Def agree that two litter trays would be better hopefully

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 11:25:34 AM »
Hi Michelle,

Welcome to Purrs. One tray for 2 cats can get pretty congested with cat waste and the fact that waste is kicked on to the surrounding floor or stood in is not surprising.

There is one very simple thing that you can do immediately. The feline experts largely agree that the rule of thumb for cat litter trays is one per cat plus one extra if it can be accomodated. We have 7 cats and 8 trays because in the early days we had a similar problem.

The siting of the trays, type of trays and cat litter are also important.

1. Siting

Think about ourselves. We like a bit of privacy when visiting the loo. Cats are no different so a relatively quiet and secluded spot is the best bet. Somewhere where they are not on public display. Do not put the trays together. Try to create a little space. It is inadvisable to place the trays near their food or drinking water.

Types of tray
Essentially there are 3 types - the open tray, the trays with a rim to prevent litter being spread and the covered tray (with or without flap).

The tray should be of sufficient size. The open trays and trays with a rim come in the traditional small, medium and large sizes. The covered tray is usually one size.

Be aware that not all cats like covered trays, especially if it has a flap. However, the entrance flap can usually be removed. The reason is due to a fear of entrapment in a confined space, especilaly if they are nervous cats. Other cats take to them readily. It is a case of trial and error. Your cats are very young so they may take to this being of tender years.

I have just invested in open trays with rims. You can buy these at Pets At Home - not a chain that I like but I haven't seen them in the independent pet stores. I was recommended these trays by a boarding / rescue cattery owner who has them in her cattery and they are good. It may be your best bet.

Cat Litter
Whilst important, I don't think this has anything to do with your question but it is trial and error based on watching your cats reaction to the litter. I will not elaborate on that and, besides, I do not have as good a knowledge as others on Purrs on the subject of litter.

The secret is putting yourself in the cats' position and trying to look at things through their eyes rather than yours. Sometimes I simply lie stomach down on the floor to try to see things from their perspective. I hope this helps.
Owning a cat is a lifetime partnership.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi

"I am in favour of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline cenmlj

• Kitten
Cat stands in poo in litter tray - help!
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 10:58:59 AM »
 >:(
Hello, this is my first post and I'm hoping some of you cat experts might be able to help me. We have two adorable cats, both sharing the same litter box and both brothers (4 months old). One is no problem at all and never makes any mess after using the litter tray - he buries all his waste well. The other always seems to attempt to cover his waste but accidentally stands in it with his back feet. Its as if he knows what he's supposed to do but gets it wrong - which is a nightmare because we end up having to disinfect the carpets and bath the kitten most days!!!
Can anyone offer any advice? We absolutely adore them both but equally we're starting to dread what might be in store everytime we get home....!
Any ideas of how to train him, or things to buy eg different style litter box, mats etc would be greatly appreciated. The current litter box is a large box with door flap from Argos and we use 'worlds best cat litter'.

Thanks,
Michelle

Link to CatChat