Author Topic: Normal water levels?  (Read 1264 times)

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
Re: Normal water levels?
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 15:39:53 PM »
Back to your question: cats just differ I think.  Ours are all around the 4.5kg mark.  I don't think I've ever noticed Noni drinking water tbh whereas I often notice the 2 boys.

We have 4 water bowls dotted around the house and the lounge one is preferred as it needs topping up alot.

Got me wondering now about Noni not drinking enough  :-:

That makes me feel a bit better as my lounge one is the only one that needs topping up a lot - prob only once a day when it is cleaned but bearing in mind the three of them use it maybe I am just worrying. Will discuss with the vet anyway and see what he says!

Noni is maybe just a sneaky water taker - Oscar seems to be lol!!
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 22:31:21 PM »
Back to your question: cats just differ I think.  Ours are all around the 4.5kg mark.  I don't think I've ever noticed Noni drinking water tbh whereas I often notice the 2 boys.

We have 4 water bowls dotted around the house and the lounge one is preferred as it needs topping up alot.

Got me wondering now about Noni not drinking enough  :-:

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 11:12:04 AM »
Thanks for that  - Nina is at the water a lot too but just seems to drink less than Edgar (she is about the third of his size in fairness)

I have been trying to watch him with the kitten food but he is like a junkie with it - seriously it is a nightmare as Nina seems to like to eat with them around but obviously doesnt eat all the dry and Edgar has some too. I tried putting in a room, on the table, locking Edgar out, locking Nina in but either way Nina is not very interested in eating until she can see what everyone else is up too!! Edgar is slightly underweight for his breed and size because he has to eat so slow so it had actually been suggested in the past to try him on kitten food for that reason - so I havent been too concered. Was more worried that Nina wasn't getting enough with him around.

Nina is due to go into Vet for a once over next week so I might book in Edgar too or speak to vet about it at very least. I just am not 100% sure that he is actually drinking more given the water was always out of the way. Bertie always drank more when it was either sunny or hot in the house through the heating too so I wasn't unduly concerned!

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 10:54:30 AM »
I would definitely monitor, and maybe get Edgar's bloods done a tad sooner, as Metacam can cause kidney issues. Kittens do drink quite a lot though, and I would also watch for Edgar eating the kitten food, as it is higher in proteins and fat than adult food.
Please spay your cat

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
Normal water levels?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 23:57:13 PM »
Ok I am sure this is an impossibile question to answer but what is the normal amount of water roughly for an adult make cat of average size (4.5kg) to be drinking?

I realise thats a bit random so perhaps I should explain!

Edgar and Oscar are fed dry and wet but def prefer the wet and really just graze from time to time on dry. So the fact that they seemed to drink a lot less in comparison to bertie (who ate only dry ) didn't alarm me.

We have a few water bowls around the house and due to work getting done on the house this has meant that a water bowl is in the living room for the first time and with being at home with all the Christmas holidays I have noticed that Edgar actually is at the water a fair bit and I have had to make sure that the bowl is topped up every day (well it always was but never from near half empty).

However there are a few factors to consider

1)- I have been around way more than usual and the water bowl is in the living room - so for the first time i have been here 24 hours a day to see what goes on rather just hearing slurping from the hall or freshening bowls at night after work

2)  - Nina came to live with us ten days ago - she prefers dry and as a result drinks a fair bit for a wee kitten.

3) Edgar has taken a shine to Nina's Hills kitten and is eating probably more dry then wet for the first time since I got him - he is never away from the stuff! :shocked:

4) The heating has been on a lot more as I have been home and OH is chocked with cold so house temp hotter - more evaporation and also hotter cats

So actually fairly good reason to explain what appears to be a lot of water being drunk by Edgar compared to normal - albeit I have never really paid much attention as the water bows were elsewhere

Also as much as Edgar is at the bowl a lot he has a benin tumour in his nose which means he cant eat and drink as fast as others - for example they all got a bit of cat milk tonight as a treat and Edgar was still slupring away at it a good few mins after Nina and Oscar trotted off and he still didnt get through what they did. So the fact that he appears to be at the a the water a lot is prob not a good reflection of what he is drinking.

He is on Metacam for the tumour (and it has worked wonders) and I planned on getting his bloods and kidney function checked and discussed with vet at his booster injections in February.

So am I worrying over nothing? Anyone got any water comparions?

I have three cats ( two 4.5 kg cats and a 5 month kitten) and there is three water bowls - one is hardly touched if at all, one goes down a couple of mils and the one in the living room is prob half used in a day betwen the three of them - standard little metal bowls out of tesco pet section - medium size.

Does that sound about right? Or have I just confused everyone with a long winded explanation - apologies if I have! :Crazy:

I have noticed Oscar at the water more too - but that is in comparison to never seeing him at water when it was out in the hall - I just knew they were drinking from it

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Link to CatChat