Author Topic: Advice wanted please- cat colds  (Read 1425 times)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
Re: Advice wanted please- cat colds
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 06:26:37 AM »
Samantha sometimes gets hayfever. It is quite possible that your cat has some kind of allergy. Does she go outside? If not this might be a house dust allergy. Maybe return to your vet and suggest this, or just see if it goes away (Sam's does).

Could she have something stuck up her nose, like a grass seed?
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Happy Moggy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 00:03:06 AM »
One of my cats has the same thing.  The vet told me to stay away from ABs because it's a virus that causes it.  He would only build up resistance to the ABs and not receive any benefit from them.

Same principle that you see on the posters in the doctor's surgery telling you not to bother him when you get the sniffles.

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 17:28:47 PM »
Thanks, I shall definately look into those suggestions! :D

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 15:31:32 PM »
Your vet's right about the ABs, they just suppress symptoms and as soon as you stop them it flares up again and prolongs it. Cats that have had cat flu can get flare ups throughout their life - and as you've noticed, its often when she's stressed. You could try L-lysine which helps boost immune system, I used it for Suzie and Gypsy when they used to get flare ups.There is a veterinary version, but don't think its available in the UK yet. Holistic vets recommend stinging nettles for cat flu flare ups.  You might want to see a homeopathic vet as homeopathic remedies can be quite successful with this sort of thing - the remedy Aconite is recommended.

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
Advice wanted please- cat colds
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 12:56:38 PM »
I would really appreciate some advice from anyone who's puss has the same issue.
My baby Layla has got a touch of the sneezes poor thing and I wondered if anyone could suggest anything we can do to help it go away? It started about 3-4 weeks ago and we have had a couple of visits to he vet. She had an AB injection followed by a weeks worth of tablets (ABs) and then when it didn';t clear up completely I tok her back and they gave her more AB tablets. Having spoken to the vet again, he thinks we ought to let it go away naturally now as she's not getting any worse and it needs to work it's way out. She is ok in herself (eating/ drinkng/ playing etc) but seems to be getting fed up of sneezing (and of mummy wiping her nose! lol).
She had cat flu when she was a kitten, before we rescued her and so now she gets a bit of a cold whenever she gets a bit stressed. I think she must have been a bit unsettled when we first introduced Rufus (5 weeks ago) but they are good friends now so I was hoping this would clear up.
I know it will clear up eventually but I know how much I hate having a cold so want any advice on anything I can do to clear it up quickly.
Thanks in advance! :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Link to CatChat