Author Topic: Views on cat collars as may need magnetic catflap!  (Read 1905 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Views on cat collars as may need magnetic catflap!
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 23:29:29 PM »
Yes the vet can scan it to see if its working properly or has moved!

I get vet to scan mine every year at their MOT  ;D

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 09:18:20 AM »
No doesn't recognise Misha's chip, recognises all the others!    I'll have to ask the vet.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 23:37:20 PM »
I am sure I have read on here sometime that once a cat is chipped it cannot be rechipped.

Doesnt your cats chip work?

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 16:01:38 PM »
Hmmmmmm it doesn't recognised Mishas chip number through Petrac - would have to have her re-chipped!

Hmmmmmmmmmm definately a cat flap worth thinking about!

Anyone else got one?

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 15:52:43 PM »
You can get a catflap called a pet porte, it reads microchips so no need for a collar  ;D
It can also lock itself after dark, pretty cool!
The snag is the price, £99, but if you have multiple cats losing a fair few collars you soon make the money back.

:wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: I want I want I want - off to google that right now- thank you  :thanks:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 15:47:19 PM »
You can get a catflap called a pet porte, it reads microchips so no need for a collar  ;D
It can also lock itself after dark, pretty cool!
The snag is the price, £99, but if you have multiple cats losing a fair few collars you soon make the money back.

The other option is to find out where the cat comes from and if he is homeless then get him sorted out   ;D

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 14:08:40 PM »
My Bonnie is indoor but I have an easy release collar on her just in Case she gets out as I've only had her since Dec. and she's 10 and doesn't know the area.  She has not cried to go out yet and I hope she doesn't.

My Smudge who was outdoor always wore a collar and it too was easy release - I would rather spend a lot of money on buying new one after new one than think of them caught up somewhere and I'm sure you would.  Smudge is 14 and he's never lost his, and I live near fields, lots of trees, bushes etc. to cath it on. I've just renewed it when it looked a bit shabby.

Good luck.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 14:03:57 PM »
Eeeep, the collar debate!  ;)

My mob have always worn collars, but I have started using safety release after seeing some awful pictures on this site. I will admit to being unaware of the potential dangers of the elasticated collars until then.

I'm assuming they work, because the two of mine that go out the most lose theirs sporadically and I have to replace them. :)

There are people on here that feel very strongly about cats not wearing collars due to seeing some of the terrible injuries first hand through their rescue work.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 13:51:24 PM »
I don't know too much about collars with my boy being indoor, but when he's worn them in the past, we've bought Kitty Collars (Marla is on here sometimes) as they are the safety release type collars which are, I believe, the safest type of collars one can use.

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
Views on cat collars as may need magnetic catflap!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 13:41:17 PM »
I'd love to know peoples views on cat collars.   None of my cats wear them as I always remember seeing photos of horrif injuries from cats who got stuff with their collar somewhere.

I know there are safe release collars but do they work and won't you go through tons of them?

I am starting to wonder again because a local male cat is starting to come through my furbabies cat flap and wondering about the catflaps that work with a magnetic cat collar.

All views, thoughts and experiences welcomed.

Link to CatChat