Author Topic: Cat safe kitchen wipes  (Read 4800 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Cat safe kitchen wipes
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2009, 19:08:35 PM »
Yes but I have an exam coming up  :scared:  :evillaugh:
Ah.... uh oh  :scared:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2009, 18:56:50 PM »
Yes but I have an exam coming up  :scared:  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2009, 18:41:00 PM »
Its easily done, i enjoyed chemistry alot but not much of it ever stayed in my mind. I got 100% on the periodic table test but would fail miserable now

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2009, 23:25:30 PM »
Thats whys its non toxic as it isnt leaving behind a nasty by-product:

Hypochlorite is bleach, which is toxic. Is Milton toxic also?
No. As stated above, toxicity in hypochlorites is due to the by-pr :evillaugh:oduct of their
decomposition, sodium chlorate. With the heavy ions removed Milton decomposes into water and a small amount of sodium chloride (salt).

Taken from here http://www.milton-tm.com/healthpro/Milton_baby_products_sterilization.htm

As to mixing with acids and getting chlorine gas that happens with most products, i remember using cillit bang and nearly gassing myself  :scared:
It would also need to be mixed before use not once its been wiped on worktop and has turned into water/salt

I should know a lot of this stuff as we did it in chemistry recently  :-[ ie NaCl (sodium chloride) is salt

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2009, 21:43:55 PM »
AFAIK no Ecover wipes. I suppose throwing away lots of wipes wouldn't be as eco friendly as a spray bottle and e cloth (?!).
I read somewhere on the web that someone used Cillit Bang on their oven glass and it was as good as it's word (bang: no more glass).  :Crazy:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2009, 19:15:11 PM »
Thats whys its non toxic as it isnt leaving behind a nasty by-product:

Hypochlorite is bleach, which is toxic. Is Milton toxic also?
No. As stated above, toxicity in hypochlorites is due to the by-product of their
decomposition, sodium chlorate. With the heavy ions removed Milton decomposes into water and a small amount of sodium chloride (salt).

Taken from here http://www.milton-tm.com/healthpro/Milton_baby_products_sterilization.htm

As to mixing with acids and getting chlorine gas that happens with most products, i remember using cillit bang and nearly gassing myself  :scared:
It would also need to be mixed before use not once its been wiped on worktop and has turned into water/salt

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2009, 18:58:32 PM »
I wonder if they have changed the formula as this data sheet from 2004 says it is Chlorine based - although further down, it says the hypochlorite breaks down to water and common salt http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:kFGBEc5p2qUJ:www.locallifedesign.co.uk/clients/newline/uploader/pdf/COSHH%2520FLUID.doc+milton+wipes+data+sheet&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=uk&client=firefox-a

Also listed here as a general hypochlorite bleach http://msds.chem.ox.ac.uk/SO/sodium_hypochlorite.html

It says that on contact with acids it produces chlorine gas.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 19:03:23 PM by Mark »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2009, 18:48:56 PM »
Its a sodium type bleach, il find my box and get the full title, its harmless and residue free as its basically water and salts.

I use a spray from M & S that is completely natural, no chemicals in it at all and I think they do wipes too. It's no more pricey than the other ones either and smells very nicely of lavender and cleans grease etc very well. There is a company called Method who do a range of cleaning products too which are all natural with no chemicals and no animal testing either.  ;D

Are they anti bac?

I don't know if Ecover is cat safe, but they are the sort of company who may actually tell you. I don't find their products very strong though.

I forgot about them, shall see if they do wipes  :thanks:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2009, 14:46:14 PM »
Maybe OK then. I'm surprised that Chlorine bleach is considered safe though  :Crazy:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2009, 11:09:06 AM »
I use it around the house Mark, not a trace of madam wanting to spray anywhere.

This is off the Milton site on questioned on its application to anything non baby:

"You don't have to have a baby to use Milton. Because it is safe and not toxic, Milton can be used to disinfect kitchen work surfaces, chopping boards, wiping out fridges, microwaves, storage containers, pet bowls and bins. It can also be used to soak fruit and vegetables where the microbiological safety of such items is suspect."

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2009, 11:03:46 AM »
I will do

Let us know the outcome.

I will, havnt got around to it yet tho.

MM, Sainsbury's sell the Milton wipes. I saw some today when I went to get more liquid milton. In the baby section.

Yuk, the baby aisle where everything smells bad  :sick: il have to brave it lol

Doesn't Milton contain weak bleach? - I'm prety sure the fluid does but not sure about the wipes. I would have thought anythingsterilsed with milton would need to be rinsed?

I found a data sheet for the fluid - it says "contains chlorine based bleaching agent"

Milton is v.safe, it leaves no residue so you can dip a dummy and stick it back in your lovely childs gob without worry  ;D i use it when handrearing for all bottles etc, i rinse off but thats cos i do things my way  :innocent:

It says on the site that if baby drinks it not to worry, it turns to water and salt when mixed with protein so a drink of milk is the most thats needed.

As you said yourself though, because it's OK for a baby doesn't mean it's OK for cats. Dettol spray is fine for wiping baby stuff but toxic to cats so I would worry. It is bleach after all. The other issue then is if cats smell it, they might want to mark it  :sick:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2009, 10:39:39 AM »
I don't know if Ecover is cat safe, but they are the sort of company who may actually tell you. I don't find their products very strong though. Anyone got any info on the safety of Stardrops?
As for wipes, I bought M&S ones and (even) they are made in China, so I'd be careful.

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2009, 00:00:03 AM »
I use a spray from M & S that is completely natural, no chemicals in it at all and I think they do wipes too. It's no more pricey than the other ones either and smells very nicely of lavender and cleans grease etc very well. There is a company called Method who do a range of cleaning products too which are all natural with no chemicals and no animal testing either.  ;D

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2009, 19:48:46 PM »
I will do

Let us know the outcome.

I will, havnt got around to it yet tho.

MM, Sainsbury's sell the Milton wipes. I saw some today when I went to get more liquid milton. In the baby section.

Yuk, the baby aisle where everything smells bad  :sick: il have to brave it lol

Doesn't Milton contain weak bleach? - I'm prety sure the fluid does but not sure about the wipes. I would have thought anythingsterilsed with milton would need to be rinsed?

I found a data sheet for the fluid - it says "contains chlorine based bleaching agent"

Milton is v.safe, it leaves no residue so you can dip a dummy and stick it back in your lovely childs gob without worry  ;D i use it when handrearing for all bottles etc, i rinse off but thats cos i do things my way  :innocent:

It says on the site that if baby drinks it not to worry, it turns to water and salt when mixed with protein so a drink of milk is the most thats needed.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2009, 23:24:59 PM »
Yep, Dettol is toxic to cats - as is any cleaning type fluid that turns milky in water http://fabcats.org/owners/poisons/home.html

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 20:30:36 PM »
I think Dettol even has a warning on about cats thesedays after a woman's cat died - there is an article on Fab about it.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2009, 20:17:06 PM »
Dettol as far as I know still contains phenol, highly toxic to cats.

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 20:16:03 PM »
What about Dettol? I knwo that's what is used in nursery's as it is safe for babies, don't know about cats though.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 19:52:59 PM »

« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 19:56:04 PM by Mark »

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 19:51:37 PM »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 19:43:30 PM »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 19:43:01 PM »
What about alcohol wipes? - postage is steep here but you might be able to get them elsewhere - are you friendly with any tatooists?  :evillaugh:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TUB-200-ALCOHOL-DISINFECTANT-WIPES---Large-Size_W0QQitemZ120366124856QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090120?IMSfp=TL090120122001r12903

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 19:42:53 PM »
I will do

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 19:39:50 PM »
Might be worth an email. I use the spray on the trays and give them a good wipe with kitchen towel so any residual a miniscule amount.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 19:37:05 PM »
Their data sheet doesnt mention cats, says non toxic in regards to humans but cats insides are different  :tired:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 19:36:30 PM »
Yes - you can find a product data sheet. I can't see any mention of phenols. The disinfectant in it is called Bravo3. It kills everything in umder 60 seconnds. Their claim is 99.999% - I use the spray for the trays.

Wilkinsons sell it. Also Ocado and Boots http://www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?categoryParentId=3888&storeId=10052&productId=52222&callingViewName=&categoryId=4137&langId=-1&catalogId=11051

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 19:26:37 PM »
Is it in wipe form? Il look it up  :thanks:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 19:12:19 PM »
What about Bugs Away?

« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 19:20:18 PM by Mark »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Cat safe kitchen wipes
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 19:02:29 PM »
Alot of packets say keep away from pets/cats and others say nothing. Other than Milton wipes which i havnt found anywhere yet are there any other brands that are safe for cats? My lot are always on the worktops so i dont want to poison them  :evillaugh:
Iv been using trigene spray but want something quicker for lazy moments  :naughty:

Link to CatChat