Author Topic: A question for any Americans amongst us...  (Read 1712 times)

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
Re: A question for any Americans amongst us...
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 09:33:22 AM »
the UKs worse predator has 2 legs

Too right !!

Helen, I have watched those progs too and noticed about the dogs. They dont seem to be indoor pets like they are here.

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 08:50:11 AM »
Thanks Sabrina, I can only go on the TV shows that I've seen but every tiny kitten rescued form a car engine or colony of cats rescued from a hoarder were grey tabbies which I just thought was a bit strange, I guess it's just a coincidence then.

Those shows tend to show worst cases/things that will shock etc. They have to like any other show keep their ratings up.

Not that those things don't happen...

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 22:37:14 PM »
the UKs worse predator has 2 legs
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 22:33:26 PM »
although it is obviously becoming more common over here - I bet if you did a poll on here, it would be pretty even, although not an accurate picture of cat ownership - I dont know anyone personally who has indoor cats, but could name a few off here).

Stuart did one a few weeks ago - 70% have indoor cats, it was a fairly small sample of 23 but like you say it's definitely becoming more common in the UK.

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php?topic=8507.0

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 22:27:03 PM »
I think it must be coincidence Helen, with the pics on the American forum I Go on, but indoor cats are the majority, but you do have to consider the fact they have worse predators than we do (although it is obviously becoming more common over here - I bet if you did a poll on here, it would be pretty even, although not an accurate picture of cat ownership - I dont know anyone personally who has indoor cats, but could name a few off here).
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 16:56:12 PM »
Yard dogs are very common from what iv read. Peta are always campainging to save them as many dont get shelter or regular water  :(
I is English tho  :rofl:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 16:52:11 PM »
Thanks Sabrina, I can only go on the TV shows that I've seen but every tiny kitten rescued form a car engine or colony of cats rescued from a hoarder were grey tabbies which I just thought was a bit strange, I guess it's just a coincidence then.

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 16:46:38 PM »
Most of your questions depend on where you live.

As for cat color I saw just as many black & whites in the rescues as I did Torties, Gingers etc.

I’ve thought it very strange to let cats out when I first came to the UK but we did have a neighbour in the US who they and their children owned a cat, they lived behind each other so this cat would happily walk around to each house and get food etc (he also came in our house once). My friend who just moved back to LA was shocked by the sheer amount of cats lounging around outside – but the weather is nearly perfect all year so I’m sure that has some reasoning if those cats were in fact pets.

Dog wise, we had a big yard so our dogs could go through the dog flap whenever they liked. You shouldn’t have your dog loose but having them chained out is okay (as long as it’s fed & cared for).

That’s one American’s experience ;)

Just don't ask me anything on history or our government....

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
A question for any Americans amongst us...
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 16:39:56 PM »
I know there's quite a few from the US on here so was hoping you'd be able to answer a few questions for me. 

I always watch the American animal Police type shows on Animal Planet: Animal Cops Houston, Phoenix, Miami, Animal Precinct etc etc.  Virtually every cat or kitten they rescue seems to be a grey tabby, I was wondering whether they are the most common colour cat in America like black and white ones are over here as grey tabbies are a fairly rare colouring in the UK.

Do most cats live indoors?  I know the US are much more advanced with regards indoor cats than the UK but then I keep seeing all these cats getting rescued and wondered what they were doing out in the first place!

Another question, do most people keep their dogs outside?  I saw one the other day and it was a really elderly dog that was chained up outside.  It turned out that it wasn't being neglected but had a tumour and was really old.  They spoke to the owner and he was saying how he'd had the dog for years and was getting really tearful at the thought of the dog dying.  I can't get my head round how you could have such a close bond with an animal but then leave it outside and also how the bond was built up in the first place if it lives outside :Crazy: If they do live outside do they take them for walks aswell or do they get their exercise from running around while chained up?

Link to CatChat