Author Topic: Does anyone have an quoteable figures number of animals PTS annually in UK?  (Read 2247 times)

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
Re: Does anyone have an quoteable figures number of animals PTS annually in UK?
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2008, 08:03:24 AM »
It really is quite scary the amount of people who take on a pet with no idea of the responsibility it entails! :tired:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2008, 07:12:56 AM »
We've also been running a mini neutering campaign on the *tree* site which has been quite successful

Since Nov 3rd and until 31/12 we too have a neutering campaign where people can have their cats neutered/spayed for £5 although in reality we often pay that. It is our most successful campaign ever with over 200 vouchers already applied for. A couple of days ago my arm was nearly falling of as I had to write 81 vouchers in one go. I am very pleased as this time so many of the cats are older cats and not just kittens. It has cost us hundreds of pounds for 8 weekly adverts in a local freebie paper but well worth it.

We also advertise vouchers every week all year and have A4 adverts on our cat food collection bins all year, in our shop and any other places who will allow our posters.

Each time I issue a voucher I always send an A4 sheet of paper with the reasons why cats need neutering/spaying and ask people pass the information on. When someone asks for a voucher for there cat who has had kittens I also ask how many kittens and send out advice sheets and telling about the vouchers to give out with every kitten.

When people ring for what ever reason I always ask if they know anyone who has unneutered/unspayed cats, it is surprising how many I pick up that way that need 'doing'. Also when people ring for a voucher I ask do you have any more cats, again it is surprising sometimes how more they do have that need the ‘ops’. I know I have posted before but these are examples of the calls:-
Caller   Can you help me? my cat went missing and has come back with kittens, I already  have 6 cats and can’t have any more.
Me      Unfortunately we have a number of kittens ourselves at the moment and have
            no room, anyway how old are the kittens?
Caller   Just over a week.

Me      Well the kittens must be with their mum until they are at least 8 weeks old.

Caller  But their mother has rejected them and I am feeding them.

Me      With what?

Caller   SMA

Me       You must get proper kitten milk

Caller    O.K. then

Me        I will send you a booklet about hand rearing kittens.

Caller     I don’t know much do I?

Me       [Being diplomatic]. Well we all learn something new every day.

Caller   I think the mother cat has mastitis.

Me      In that case you had better have a word with your vet as your cat may need
            treatment.

Caller   Oh, I didn’t realise.

Me       If you give me your name and address I will send you a voucher to get the mother cat spayed when the vet advises it is safe to do so.

Caller   Thank you.

Me       You said you had 6 cats, are all the others neutered and spayed?

Caller   Yes, oh! I do have 2 six-month-old females that have not been spayded

Me      Would you like me to send you vouchers to get them spayed?

Caller   Yes please.

Me       So you have 3 females that need spaying and all the other cats have been
             neutered or spayed?

Caller   Yes, Well I do have a six-month-old male that has not been neutered.

Me       You do really need to get him neutered as soon as possible as he may make
             the 3 females pregnant.

Caller    Oh no he won’t one is his mum and the others are his sisters.

Me       He can and he probably will.

Caller   Oh I didn’t realize, I don’t know much do I?

Me      My first thought was no comment,  but said so lets start again you have 6 cats, the
           mother cat, two six-month-old sisters, and their six-month-old brother that have  not been neutered or spayed.

Caller  Yes

Me      Right that’s sorted then.

Caller  Well one of the other two has not been spayded, I’ve only had one done.

And so it went on, what appeared to be a simple request to bring in kittens turned into a mind-boggling conversation.

Caller      Can I have a voucher for a spay?
Me          Do you have any other cats?
Caller      Well I have just taken in a six-month-old cat.
Me          Do you want a voucher for that as well?
Caller      Yes.
Me          So you just have the two cats?
Caller      Well we do have an old tom.
Me          How old is he and has he been neutered?
Caller      He is 8 and has not been neutered.
Me          Well he will need neutering
Caller      Does he?
Me          Yes, Would you like to me to send a voucher for him as well?
Caller      O K
Me          I’ll send you  the vouchers and I’ll also enclose other information about cat  Care and a parasite book.
Caller      What’s a parasite book?
Me          It explains about worms and fleas and the best way to control them.
Caller       Oh! I didn’t realize that cats got fleas and worms.

Nothing to do with this but it may give you a smile.

One of the most amusing calls I have received was, I’ve just taken my cat to the vets because I thought it had wind and 6 kittens just plopped on the floor. The only thing I can say to that is watch out if you have wind.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 07:30:06 AM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2008, 01:35:40 AM »
I agree, some people just dont know to look to rescues for cats and neutering. I dont think these things are avertised enough.
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 22:59:19 PM »
No, I think Sharon was trying to divert folks prepared to pay private breeders vast some to our kittens and cats instead.

Yesterday, I contacted a person prepared to pay £200 for a pair of cats and pointed them to our cats instead. They hadn't even considered a rescue cat and didn't know where to look.  :sneaky:

We've also been running a mini neutering campaign on the *tree* site which has been quite successful. We've had seemingly desperate folks respond from all over the place - not just our area - who didn't know where to ask for help. We've been able to put them in touch with their own local CP for a voucher.  :wow:

It's about beating the breeders at their own game and taking the mountain to Mohammad.  ;)

Got ya !!

Well done with the neutering thing Julie x

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 21:33:42 PM »
No, I think Sharon was trying to divert folks prepared to pay private breeders vast some to our kittens and cats instead.

Yesterday, I contacted a person prepared to pay £200 for a pair of cats and pointed them to our cats instead. They hadn't even considered a rescue cat and didn't know where to look.  :sneaky:

We've also been running a mini neutering campaign on the *tree* site which has been quite successful. We've had seemingly desperate folks respond from all over the place - not just our area - who didn't know where to ask for help. We've been able to put them in touch with their own local CP for a voucher.  :wow:

It's about beating the breeders at their own game and taking the mountain to Mohammad.  ;)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
Obv mainly cats..and kittens. I have tried the RSPCA site but nothing concrete. I want to use it a figure on a free site... To divert the 100 pound kittens to us instead!!?

Sharon i am abit confused here..help me out ?! lol

Are you talking about "free sites" where people are advertising kittens for sale ?
and then saying you would like them to phone you instead and you will take the kittens in and rehome them ?

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
I want to use it a figure on a free site... To divert the 100 pound kittens to us instead!!?

Good idea but do you have room ?

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
I remember reading a post including a link to the rspca stats for 06 or similar, it included cats dogs and other small animals, think it was posted on Purrs  :-:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
don't cp hq have anything sharon?

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
It's shocking isn't it.   :(
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
Staggering figures but do we know the "cats" figure. Its appauling! Some where it was quoted 10,000 but i find that hard to believe!
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
Further information

Exact figures for the UK are uncertain, but it is generally accepted that there are around seven million dogs and nine million cats, which is a 5-year upward spiral for the cats and a slight decline in the number of dogs. This reflects out changing lifestyle with the trend for smaller housing, staying single and both adults fully employed, this would tend to make a cat an easier option.

Approximately 135,000 stray dogs per annum are picked up in the UK . 400 are destroyed every week. In the USA the figures are very different, they have almost 70 million dogs almost twice as many per household as the UK. 8 million to 12 million dogs and cats are euthanised annually. It has been suggested that only 50% of all dogs born in the USA will survive to see their second birthday. This is not because they are not caring or loving owners, but simply because they have no organised program for neutering and spaying.

http://www.doglistener.co.uk/neutering/spaying_neutering.shtml

another

The Dogs Trust annual stray dog report states that nearly 100,000 dogs were picked up by local authorities last year with 6,710 of those dogs put to sleep.
http://www.dogmagazine.net/archives/731/a-dog-put-to-sleep-every-80-minutes-in-the-uk-but-clarissa-baldwin-is-wrong/
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Dont think anyone keeps figures like this and am sure that RSPCA will not admit how many are PTS by them!!

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
Does anyone have an quoteable figures number of animals PTS annually in UK?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 14:57:45 PM »
Does anyone know any quoteable figures for animals that are PTS in one year in the UK.. Obv mainly cats..and kittens. I have tried the RSPCA site but nothing concrete. I want to use it a figure on a free site... To divert the 100 pound kittens to us instead!!?
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Link to CatChat