Author Topic: Two cats or three  (Read 2678 times)

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
Re: Two cats or three
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2007, 13:06:41 PM »
When I got my three I was agonising over whether or not I'd done the right thing ... However, they are so happy, and we have a great dynamic - Meesh and Sabs love each other dearly and sleep curled up against each other every night, whilst Shanti is more human oriented and sleeps snuggled up to me!!  All three get on extremely well and are great company for each other too :)  I'd recommend three any day!

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2007, 15:44:47 PM »
But if you feel they're not right for you or that 3 is too many then I'd continue searching. 

Thanks - that's exactly how we feel - I'm genuinely just a little worried that we may inadvertantly bite off more than we can chew.  And seeings I'm usually the one looking to sneak as many animals in as I can, the fact that I'm feeling just a little uneasy about it makes me think that 3 might be the wrong thing for us to do at the moment.  We will definitely have 2 though so that they do have company the days we are out at work.

I'll keep you posted!     

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2007, 22:32:42 PM »
The more the merrier imo!

Seriously, if you feel you can afford 3 and have room for 3, it would be nice to keep these 3 together.  But if you feel they're not right for you or that 3 is too many then I'd continue searching. 
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 22:34:00 PM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2007, 21:58:40 PM »
Good luck, but you will find they might be better with you working, as they will keep each other company.
Please spay your cat

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2007, 18:42:19 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts everyone - really appreciate your input.

We have (somewhat reluctantly I have to say) decided that the jump from one to three might be a bit much for us, and as we both work we don't want to realise after a little while that we've gone too far and not be able to cope, especially as I also have 4 bunnies to look after.  I'm 99% sure we'd be ok but I think if either of us have a tiny doubt, which we both do, it's probably not the right thing for us to do at the moment.

Will keep you posted as the cat hunt continues...there are a couple we have tentatively enquired about...

Offline ginge66

• Distinguished Cat
  • Nigel R.I.P, 1989-2007
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2007, 10:27:54 AM »
Hi, we used to have three cats, the only problem we had was at meal times, fat cat (no1 cat in the pecking order) would pinch Nigel's food (no2) who would pinch Tammys. This was soon solved by feeding them in different locations :Crazy:

Good luck and let us know what you decide :)

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
  • Bronte, Dino, Huxley & Heidi
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2007, 10:13:51 AM »
I now have 4 but had 3 for 3 years and they were no more trouble than when I had 2 but a lot more fun. The other thing in my case was that 2 of mine fell out but they both loved the other one so he was company for both of them and kind of like a buffer between them. They were both lonely when we lost him - I went to Cats Protection to get one more - saw a pair that I feel in love with and brought them both home. The nice thing is my 2 that fell out are now getting along again. If you can afford it I would say go for it but do be prepared for much hefty bills than when you had one.

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2007, 10:09:03 AM »
Over the past year we’ve gone from one permanent cat to another in February and then another in May.

Making us an official 3 cat family, we have 3 litter boxes one of which is huge (though they’re happy with two) they eat out of the same bowls and enjoy sharing their toys.

Our Burmese sleeps in the bed, mostly in my arms. Smoke sleeps at the foot of the bed or on top of one of us.

Penguin has the bed all day and when its night time he goes down stairs or onto the computer chair, he is the eldest at 10 so we understand he doesn’t want to share everything with the two young girls but they all play together and they are not from the same family and Penguin is American like myself and we swear the girls took longer to take to him because of his accent ;)

They are all very happy cats (unless you pick Smoke up) and enjoy the company.

So I’d go for giving the three a home.

(I’m also fostering two kittens at the moment so technically it’s 5 cats in the house!)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2007, 10:06:52 AM »
if you can afford it 3 is no more trouble that two, if they've always lived together they should be fine

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2007, 09:53:55 AM »
If you can afford it, go for the 3 of them. You'll never regret it and I'm sure the rescue will find it difficult to home 3 together of that age.

We have 3 and a kingsize bed and it all works a treat. Tom on pillow, Freddie at feet (when not trying to lie on my face) and Billy jumping up when the mood takes him. Can't imagine having less than 3 and very likely to take in another 2 when Tom's time comes, hopefully a while yet (he will be 18 at Christmas)

Offline ChrisB

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Bubbles, Cleo, Daisy and Ellie
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2007, 21:57:46 PM »
Definitely go for the three and keep them together - I have homed three together twice now and no regrets whatsoever.   If you know that they already get on well together that is the best possible start !
Unconditional love is hard to find unless you have a cat

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2007, 20:41:29 PM »
i have 3
it does cost more i noticed a big difference in food and litter but i wouldnt have it any other way infact i might enen consider 4 hahha

go get em poor things

Offline jetcleo

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Buddy & Daisy
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2007, 20:22:22 PM »
I've got 3, the latest addition is slowly getting used to the other two - don't think they will ever be best mates but will tolerate each other.  Not noticed any difference really with having 3 than just having the 2 apart, not even food.  Jet and Cleo eat as much as they want then Ralph comes along and finishes off what they left.

If you can manage and afford 3 then i say go for it and keep them all together
Always in my heart RIP Jet, Cleo, Poppy, Oscar & Sydney x

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2007, 20:13:10 PM »
I've got 3 at the moment - elderly foster Ollie and ex-feral kittens Letty and Daffy who are 15 months.

Letty and Daffy sleep on/in my bed generally, Ollie sleeps underneath but occasionally shouts to be picked up and come and cuddle under the duvet.

It works fine - the litter trays do take a bit of maintaining though, it's well worth having 3 trays so that although there's more litter to sift through, it's less yucky if you leave it for a bit.
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2007, 20:04:58 PM »
I have only recently become mum to three cats rather than two and can report that there is only one major pitfall - you'll constantly call them all by the wrong name  :rofl:

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2007, 19:47:52 PM »
8 IS A NICE NUMBER FLUFFYCLOUD LIKE MINE  :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

xx

NAH - 11 IS A NICE NUMBER LIKE ME !! :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

If you can afford to keep 3 please please take them on - they will be hard to home otherwise and might have to be split up which would be so sad

GO FOR IT

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 19:16:52 PM »
If you can afford them then its 3 times the fun, 3 times the training - them for you so they are not all tired trying to keep you in order!

We have a super kingsized bed and 36 little darlings so wish you all the best ours range from 17 to 2 and from nasty feral to domestic oh and chuck in our JRT aged 10 and puppy Sky who is 16 weeks old there's never a dull moment

Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 18:53:50 PM »
but yes, you will get kicked out of your bed. I frequently found myself on the brink of falling off the edge when I had three. And i have a queensize bed all my own. this being the case I found that the solution in winter was to leave the electric blanket on their side of the bed and stick to the cooler part for myself (my preference anyway, I would normally only use the electric blanket to take the chill off the sheets). In summer, fortunately, one at least, preferred to sleep elsewhere ...

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 18:23:00 PM »
Yes they may have come with a note but usually when the rescues get them checked out by a vet, the vet will give a best guess at their age, usually by the condition of their teeth.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 18:05:20 PM »
Of course not S  :rofl:  I'd hope that a good rescue would know the difference between cats tolerating each other and cats actually liking each other wouldn't they...?

Got any threesomes your way  :shify:

http://www.woodgreen.org.uk/the-animals_cats_Lookingforhomes.asp

Lotus, Clio and Honda, about a third of the way down.  Although it did occur to me, if they were dumped, how do they know how old they are?  Guess, or little note left on the box  :Crazy:

I don't know what to do now  :shify:
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 18:07:20 PM by fluffybunny »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 17:51:11 PM »
As long as they get on its ok. Sometimes just because they have come from the same house doesnt mean they are mates. You often get one more timid cat who is ruled by the other 2  :evillaugh:

Not that im biased A  :rofl:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 17:49:56 PM »
Ignore that blackmail   :rofl: :rofl:

If you can afford them, they like you and you have the space.................thats what counts  ;D

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 17:46:10 PM »
The main thing to consider is if you don't take them, chances are they will be split up  :sneaky: - could you live with that on your conscience?  :evillaugh:

DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 17:45:37 PM »
8 IS A NICE NUMBER FLUFFYCLOUD LIKE MINE  :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh:
I think it would be lovely of you and for them if they are penned together to have the 3 so they don't get separated.

Although feeding time is a bit of a nightmare because they all have different feed I really don't notice I have eight.......it just means someone always wants to be made a fuss off and I'm never going to have an empty bed

Good luck deciding anyway

xx

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 17:45:27 PM »
If its a three some who are used to being together and like each other, then there should be no problems.

Yes I think 3 would be harder to home if they needed a home together and also cos of their ages in this case.

Yes I am sure they could be triple trouble  ;D but not necessarily, did you mention beds  :rofl:

Well I have 4 cats and the original two would sleep in the bedroom but not on bed cos they were both scardy, but now I also have two birmans and they have taken over the bedroom and Ducha always sleeps on the bed. They chase the other two if they dare to come upstairs :(

Misa is so big I would not be happy if he wanted to sleep on the bed so I guess Ducha is a smaller option but boy does he take up a lot of space for a small cat  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I am sure that if you could take the 3 everyone would be very happy  ;D ;D

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
Two cats or three
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 17:38:37 PM »
Well after Sooty passed away and we have now sorted out a few issues with my mum's health, me and hubby are cat hunting again.

We had assumed we would get a pair, but hubby has spotted a 'threesome' aged 7, 8 and 10 at a rescue... (2F, 1M)

Obviously the food/insurance/vets/cattery etc bills will increase

Are 3 together likely to be in rescue for longer? 

Are 3 together likely to be triple trouble?  Do they egg each other on into more mischief/bigger territory etc?

Are we likely to get kicked out of our own bed by felines :evillaugh:  We were pretty much kicked out with just the one, who used to lay diagonally across the middle with us balanced on either side; I dread to think how it would be with three on the bed  :Crazy:

Anything else we need to consider?   :shify:

Link to CatChat