Author Topic: Another cat or not?  (Read 4303 times)

Offline Puffball (Louise)

• Senior Cat
Re: Another cat or not?
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2008, 13:18:38 PM »
I got brave this morning and let the kitten (I'm 95% decided on Asha) out with Willow. She is totally fearless and immediately charged and pounced on Willow who leapt in the air and hissed, as soon as she landed the kitten pounced on her tail and Willow ran away. She then followed the kitten at a safe distance occasionally getting close enough for a sniff which caused further charges by the kitten and backing up from Willow... so much for her showing the kitten whose boss  :rofl:

Willow had enough after 15 mins and instead of running she swiped so I decided that's enough for now. Poor Willow, I think the kitten may end up being in charge around here!

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2008, 18:25:37 PM »
Awww Im glad they are getting to know one another  - and kittens teeth are pretty sharp too ,as i am sure you will soon find out! :evillaugh:

• Senior Cat
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2008, 18:13:25 PM »
Oh it's going so well today  :yayyy:

The kitten is by the living room door fast asleep in her cat carrier and Willow is grooming herself while looking out the window. They had a good sniff of each other when the I brought the kitten in but after about 20 mins she was asleep and Willow wandered off to get some food.

Was a bit worried that Willow slinks in low to the ground when approaching kitten and sits watching her studiously from a pouncing position... I swear it looks like she is stalking prey, but I'm guessing you'll all tell me that's normal  :evillaugh:

I will be so scared for poor kitty (still no name) when I let her out with Willow, she is such a tiny wee thing and seeing Willow's teeth when she yawned today I reckon she could kill the kitten with one bite! Maybe I'll be brave enough to try that tomorrow or the day after.

• Senior Cat
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2008, 11:54:28 AM »
Have you had a look at Wizz's advice?  http://wizz-catz.co.uk/introducing.html  As Dawn says it's very early days so try not to worry about it too much just yet.  Asha is a beautiful name, when do we get to see the beautiful kitten behind it?

Yep I read that and Cat Confidential. Things are looking up today, kitten did a solid poop during the night and today they are playing tag with their paws through the gap in the door  ;)  I'll try to get a photo of the kitten but the battery has gone on my camera

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2008, 10:18:39 AM »
See sometimes things work in mysterious ways. I have too seen an ad today for kittens for sale....................now I have a dilemma on my hands as there are maybe two rescue kittens on here I can help , but I am waiting to hear from thier foster mum (who I have on good authority is an absolute star and is having a hard time herself at the moment) - but I dont want these for sale kittens to end up in a crappy home...................................

Get all 4  :evillaugh:

Stop giving me ideas you! :evillaugh: ;)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2008, 10:02:05 AM »
Have you had a look at Wizz's advice?  http://wizz-catz.co.uk/introducing.html  As Dawn says it's very early days so try not to worry about it too much just yet.  Asha is a beautiful name, when do we get to see the beautiful kitten behind it?

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2008, 09:58:08 AM »
Give them time - and remember that Willow needs to let the newbie know whose boss . Hissing isnt going to do the kitten any harm  , only intervene if there looks like bloodshed - and let the kitten stand up for herself!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2008, 08:39:40 AM »
it's very early days, I'm sure they'll be fine in the end but I know what you mean, I remember thinking why did I change the status quo it worked out in the end though

• Senior Cat
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2008, 02:06:26 AM »
Puffball do you have a link for the mounted climbing wall from Zooplus? I can't see it on there but maybe that's because it is out of stock. It sounds exactly what I am looking for.

It's not exactly a climbing frame it's a wall mounted hammock bed but I plan to make stepping stones of them going up the wall, anyway here's the link...
http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_beds_baskets/beds/extraordinary/37583

I have also seen this on sale in the US which looks superb but too pricey, though it should be fairly easy to copy if you fancy a bit of DIY...
http://www.wallcats.com/  Hmmm, maybe I'll make a few ramps like this leading up to some of the hammock beds near the ceiling   :evillaugh:

And so to update you all on the new arrival. He turns out to be a she, at first glance she appears black but in good light she has very subtle tabby stripes in shades of ebony black and brown/black (can't describe it any other way, just a more rich c-h-o-c-o-latey shade of black than the ebony). She is absolutely adorable but, this is not a happy household  :'(

Kitten (still no name, maybe Asha) is in a seperate room from Willow and since getting her vet check on Monday we've been doing the room swapping to mingle smells, but Willow is on full alert and knows exactly where the intruder is!  After getting home from the vet on Monday the kitten had the runs, at first I thought stress or reaction to Frontline and left her to settle down, by Tuesday night I was concerned as it was no better and she had her first accident when she tried to make the litter tray but couldn't get there in time, she also seemed lethargic so I called the vet who saw her first thing this morning. The poor mite is on the Waltham sensitivity controlled diet for a few days and a course of antibiotics just in case she has a bug   :scared: The vet wasn't too worried as she's eating well and isn't dehydrated but since we got home it's swung the other way and she's only peeing. I'm hoping she was just cleared out and is building up to a nice healthy deposit during the night  :sick:

Willow is also causing me concern, she is definitely showing signs of stress, she's eating less and using her litter tray less. I got her to go in yesterday morning by holding the flap open!!! Today nothing at all and this evening I decided to call the vet about her tomorrow, then she does the most enormous pee about 30 mins ago followed by some solids... phew!!! But still very unhappy that she saved it up all that time!

Not sure it's related but when we play Willow seems more agressive, she used to half heartedly pounce at toys but now she is claws out and going full out for anything that moves. I dunno about cat genetics and learned behaviour but only now do I recall that Willow's mother was so agressively terriortial that her owner had to rehome one of her other cats that was bullied terribly... I hoped that's not inherited behaviour as Willow grew up while the bullying was going on! If anyone knows anything about this please let me know

As for the cat intros, the kitten is aware of Willow and desperately wants to come out and make friends, but Willow is clearly not ready. I wedged open the kitten's door 1/2 centimetre Monday eve to see what would happen but Willow hissed, so I tried again this evening and Willow was very alarmed but not hissing or growling. Sadly I stuffed up 30 mins later thinking I was safe to go into kittens room but she was laying in wait and made a dash for freedom. Willow saw her full on and immediately started hissing. I managed to scoup up kitty and return her to safety but it's back to the drawing board  :'(

My grand idea of getting Willow a playmate is most definitely not going according to plan, fingers crossed for tomorrow and any advice much appreciated  :thanks:

Sorry for the long post but it's been a long few days  :evillaugh:

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2008, 22:14:16 PM »
See sometimes things work in mysterious ways. I have too seen an ad today for kittens for sale....................now I have a dilemma on my hands as there are maybe two rescue kittens on here I can help , but I am waiting to hear from thier foster mum (who I have on good authority is an absolute star and is having a hard time herself at the moment) - but I dont want these for sale kittens to end up in a crappy home...................................

Get all 4  :evillaugh:

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2008, 18:54:51 PM »

Offline tiga

• Senior Cat
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2008, 15:12:45 PM »
Puffball do you have a link for the mounted climbing wall from Zooplus? I can't see it on there but maybe that's because it is out of stock. It sounds exactly what I am looking for.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2008, 13:44:46 PM »
how's things going?

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2008, 20:49:32 PM »
Obviously meant to be, hope they settle down well together

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2008, 19:42:46 PM »
Well done you  :hug:

• Senior Cat
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2008, 19:26:08 PM »
Well it seems that sometimes fate just takes a hand....

My friend the breeder that had offered me a cat lives near my parents which is 150 miles away and I was planning to go tomorrow, but while chatting to a neighbour at the bus stop this morning I mentioned I was after a kitten and she had one! Awful story really and it will make you all mad but she had planned to get her cat speyed at 6 months old and stupidly let her out not realising she may come into season before then! You guessed it, the cat got pregnant at 5 &1/2 months and had 3 kittens, the lady's sister took two and she was going to put an ad in the local paper offering the last as "Free to a loving home" <sigh>. To prevent him going to the first person that turned up with a cat carrier he is now safely installed in my bathroom and will be introduced to Willow over the next week.

My neighbour realises she has messed up and her cat is booked in to be done on Monday. And my friend the breeder is fine with my not taking her cat. Of course I don't now have the option of returning the kitten if he can't bond with Willow but if the worst happens at least he will be looked after in a safe place while waiting for a rescue spot and a good home.

I hope I have done the right thing but I didn't want the poor wee thing going to the type of person that is attracted by free kitten ads, he may have found a great home but someone serious about owning a cat would either go to rescue or a reputable breeder I think.

Thanks for the advice everyone :)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 19:33:22 PM by puffball »

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 07:47:17 AM »
I think you should try her with a playmate.  At 17 months she's still young so should be fairly adaptable.  Things might not work out, but most cats do learn to get along with each other if you do intros correctly even though they may not be best of friends.  Wherever you get a new cat from, make sure you explain about your current cat and choose an individual that has the best chance of getting on with her.  Most people should be prepared to take a cat back if it doesn't work out.

Space wise, I have 2 indoor cats in a small one bedroom flat and there are no problems.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 07:30:01 AM »
Sally who is one of our CP gang fell in love with a rescue kitten called Sunshine and decided she would be good company for her Siamese kitten Yindee. This is a photo taken shortly after her arrival  :Luv2: - They are best friends  :Luv2:

I wish mine were like this - I think there is a much better chance of kittens/young adults bonding.

This was part of Sally's email at the time
"Yindee and Sunshine are a pure delight to watch,they sleep in the same bed during the day,both use the litter tray at the same time and both are very naughty.Best of all is when they are playing I think they would put a Suma wrestler in the shade,Yindee has transgressed from being ten months old to that of a small Kitten."

I hope Sally doesn't mind me posting this - I know she reads purrs but doesn't post.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 07:38:32 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 06:21:23 AM »
I do hope it works out.  Certainly when I had three cats they would all play together and with Charlie, like you, the pressure is on me to keep him entertained and it can be hard work some days.  Please keep us posted.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 02:05:47 AM »
Do not feel bad or they both will pick up your bad vibes  :innocent:

Think of this as making her a more happy cat with a friend to play with and cuddle up to and if it doesnt work then the kitten can go back to the breeder  :hug: :hug:

• Senior Cat
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 01:20:22 AM »
But.... why do I feel like a complete traitor that her happy little world will change forever tomorrow when a new kitten arrives? It feels like a betrayal. I really do feel like scum for doing this to her  :'(
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 01:21:41 AM by puffball »

• Senior Cat
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 00:58:24 AM »
Thanks for the advice

The cats will have 3 cat trees to choose from and a wall mounted climbing gym as soon as it's in stock on Zooplus  so hopefully enough to satisfy both. I have spoken to my friend and if the kitten doesn't settle she will take him back so hopefully all is fixed for my big kitty experiment over the next couple of weeks... fingers crossed they integrate well

Mostly thanks for not advising rehoming my cat which I dreaded but was prepared for if it was best for her :)

:care:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 00:31:12 AM »
As long as you do the intros carefully as you've mentioned, I'm sure it will be fine especially as Willow is still young. Don't do face to face intros straight away, let each cat get used to the scent of the other, get some Feliway plug ins to help things along and take it slowly. As long as there are enough resources for both cats i.e. litter trays, food/water bowls, scracthing posts and places where they can have time out from each other if they want then I don't think the space will be a problem.

As others have said, if the worst came to the worst (which I'm sure it won't  ;D ) and it didnt work out, I'm sure the breeder would be happy to take the kitten back.

• Senior Cat
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 00:10:15 AM »
I have a 1 bedroom flat with a small living room, in fact most of the rooms are small... so that makes small bedroom, kitchen, living room, hallway and a large bathroom :S... go figure the designers but it seems odd to me. The new cat would start it's life in the bathroom (being most obvious choice as living room is open plan to hallway and current cat eats in kitchen and sleeps in bedroom) for a day or so until gradual introdutions took place, also I have taken next two weeks off to organise the gradual introduction, but i am really not convinced this is the best option and tomorrow or saturday is D-day when I have to decide :(

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 23:54:51 PM »
You havent said how big your flat is and two cats dont take much more room than one especially id they are persians.  :shify:

One more litter tray and a bowl  ;D

If you are a friend of the breeder surely she would take the kitten back if they did not get on?

I think persians are fairly laid back cats, Gillian is the espert with loads of them and they seem to like to be close to each other  ;D

ccmacey

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 23:49:47 PM »
Poor Clapton.

I would say yes it does vary and they could love each other or hate each other.  :shy:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 23:42:50 PM »
You could speak to a rescue and ask about taking a cat on trial. I have 4 and they tolerate each other - although Clapton tries to be friends with the others but usually ends up clawed if he gets too close  :( - I think all of them would be happier as only cats. Before I met OH, I lived alone with Kylie and was at work all day. She did have outside access so had more to keep her occupied. Even today I was thinking OH is away on business and none of the other cats were around and Kylie was back to her old purrball self. I think multicat has pros & cons.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

ccmacey

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 23:34:46 PM »
You could always try her with a new friend and if it dosnt work out your friend could take the kitten back?  :sneaky:

I lived in a small flat with four cats and they were all happy. I have 5 now and they all get along  :)

• Senior Cat
Another cat or not?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 23:29:55 PM »
Hi All

I live in a busy part of central London near some major roads, I have a 17 month old very playful Persian that I keep as an indoor cat (she would get so tangled with leaves and twigs I would keep her indoors even if i lived in the country as her belly fur drags on the ground) but I constantly worry that she is bored and does not get enough stimulation.

We play for about 2 hours a day and she has lots of toys and cat trees to climb but despite this she constantly drops toys at my feet and sits looking up at me crying which is heartbreaking. I so want to do right by her that I have considered rehoming her if it would improve her qualiity of life even though it would break my heart. The only suggestion I can come up with is to get a kitten so they can play together... but in my heart of hearts I know my flat is not big enough for two cats and it may cause territorial issues and even more unhappiness for my current puss which is the last thing I want.

I have consulted a cat behaviour expert on this who said if she could bond with a new cat it would certainly take the pressure off me on entertaining her and would help with holidays when she is left alone with a cat sitter visiting daily... but all this was said without seeing my flat is which most definitely one cat sized!

I love my cat dearly and feel like a terrible owner for not fulfilling all her needs but I really don't know what to do. I got her from a friend who is a breeder and she has said she would happily give me a kitten from her latest litter to keep Willow company but they are ready to go this weekend and I still can't decide what to do for the best. At the end of the day I know my cat would be happy as a solo cat if she only had more of my attention, but 2 hours a day is a lot of running round with Da Mouse or throwing a ball and I feel truly awful saying it but I can't do anymore than I am doing.

So... the choices are:
1) new kitten, even though my flat is a bit small for 2 and it will also be an indoor cat... and may end up in a rescue if my cat rejects it
2) persevere until she has outgrown her playful stage and is happy with our playtimes
3) break my heart and rehome her to a more fulfulling enviroment with someone home all day (if such is possible to judge in advance)

Please don't think bad of me, no mattar what the outcome for myself I really do want whats best for my cat so any advice greatly appreciated

Thanks
Louise :)

Link to CatChat