Author Topic: New animal laws and farm cats  (Read 3291 times)

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
Re: New animal laws and farm cats
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2007, 19:28:19 PM »
Dawn... I had a dream about you a couple of nights back - all around your house were these little pickle jars displayed like trophies. And in each of the pickle jars was a pair of Tom cat's bits.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Are you trying to say I have a thing about balls  >:(  ;)

When they do the "v" shape on the ear, it is obvious and it didn't even look like it was painful, I'll be sticking to this way  ;)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2007, 17:50:43 PM »
Blackie's ear was done straight across  ;)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2007, 17:05:50 PM »
Good luck with your secret mission, operation de-nutt  :rofl: maybe the farmer should be done too by the sound of him  :evillaugh:

With the ear tipping, my vets do a tiny "v" shape rather than cut across the ear.

I opted for a straight cut across as was told a notch can end up looking like a war tear and then isnt obvious that its a sign of neutering. I did feel sorry for them but they healed up nice and quick.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2007, 16:59:29 PM »
Thing is, if I'm careful he will never know...  :sneaky:

But it's nice to have something up my sleve in the way of a debating tool should he ever find out.  :shy:

Dawn... I had a dream about you a couple of nights back - all around your house were these little pickle jars displayed like trophies. And in each of the pickle jars was a pair of Tom cat's bits.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That'll be what my house is like soon, I expect....  :Crazy: :Crazy:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2007, 16:33:41 PM »
The farmers says they're his farm cats and has told her to leave them alone.

This comment should tell you what sort of person he is, so even any hint of interferance could go against the cats/kittens.

MBll

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2007, 16:31:12 PM »
start laying the law down

wasni what i was meaning

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 16:28:15 PM »
You have to be careful with some people, you start laying the law down and the cats will suffer the consequences, ie:  kittens could be drowned, cats poisoned etc, no evidence so no prosecution......you have to tread carefully!!  I would do everything craftily, get the kittens out of there, older cats spayed/neutered and try and monitor the situation.

MBll

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 16:25:40 PM »
Well  id say if the farmer is claiming the cats/kittens  are his then he must provide suitable accomaditon for them  & daily food & water.  Also provide veterinary treatment etc for them all out of his pocket...failing or refusing to take responsibility for this will get him reported.    So he either takes this on or butter off & let you get on with things.

A wee friendly word to let him know what his responsibilitys are re the colony or a visit from the rspca will set him straight

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 14:28:41 PM »
I would set the trap round at the woman's house and get the mum cat, she needs to be caught and spayed asap.  The kittens should be easy to get if they are hungry and I doubt you'll have to go on his land to do it.  If you do, try and go late, farmers usually go to bed quite early so you won't have to see him  ;)  Let me know and I can put a plea out to get homes for the feral kittens, and hopefully a few of them can be saved at least.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 14:22:05 PM »
I'm not a big brave bunny yet, but I'm getting that way....  :Crazy:

Don't really want to get into a spat with this farmer, but on the other hand.....  :tired: It sounds to me as if these cats are running out of food sources. We found out about it because someone called to say a mum from the farm keeps leaving kittens on her door step. Almost as if she's giving them away because she's desparate.  :( The lady is keeping the kittens but mum is heavily pregnant - again!  :( >:(

Something's gotta be done!  :shify:

Yes, I'll get the cats ear tipped and checked for serious medical issues. But I'm also going to get on to Doreen our coordinator to tap HQ for extra funds.  :sneaky:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 14:06:57 PM »
Julie, what are your chances of getting the kittens away from there and spaying/neutering the adult cats?  With the ear tipping, my vets do a tiny "v" shape rather than cut across the ear.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 13:52:24 PM »
It might be worth having a word with Roger Baker. When I was there last year, he said he was going to a meeting with ministers regarding the bill. I suppose he must have been one of the advisors. I know he is involved in animal welfare.

From his website

"Apart from the veterinary practice and the adjoining Cancer Treatment Unit concentrating on cat and dog cancer treatment, Roger is an actively involved in Animal Welfare both within the veterinary profession and on the political scene where he makes clear his belief that animal welfare should be science based and is an expression of the values of our society.'
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 13:49:59 PM »
If he isn't claiming ownership, he can't stop me trapping outside his property, can he...?

Sounds sense to me. Do you have the little ones flead/wormed and ear tipped?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 14:44:57 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 13:48:29 PM »

If he's claiming ownership of these cats, he's got to make sure they have full care and access to vet treatment, doesn't he...?  :shify: :shify: :evillaugh:

If he isn't claiming ownership, he can't stop me trapping outside his property, can he...?  :sneaky:

Under the new animal welfare bill he has to provide them with medical care etc etc and I wouldn't worry about trapping outside his property, what he doesn't know, won't hurt him  ;)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 13:36:48 PM »
Hmm...  :shify:

I'm about to start a sort of covert feeding and trapping near us. A lady reporting it says there's cats all over the place and kittens getting squished on the roads around her house. The farmers says they're his farm cats and has told her to leave them alone.

There's no way I'm going to get into a confrontation with this farmer, and I'm going to make certain I'm off his land and that he can't see me.... but if word gets out, I want as much ammo as I can to help him see the point.

If he's claiming ownership of these cats, he's got to make sure they have full care and access to vet treatment, doesn't he...?  :shify: :shify: :evillaugh:

If he isn't claiming ownership, he can't stop me trapping outside his property, can he...?  :sneaky:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 13:27:05 PM »
I would think so but it depends on if the cats are feral or not.  If they are feral, they don't belong to anyone so they could possibly get away with it.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
New animal laws and farm cats
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 13:23:43 PM »

Can farmers be held responsible for the welfare of their farm cats under these new laws?  :innocent:

Link to CatChat