Author Topic: Cats & Dangeroue Dogs  (Read 1849 times)

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
Re: Cats & Dangeroue Dogs
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, 22:23:10 PM »
I also agree with Sheryl !
Either get a good strong run made that the dogs cannot get into , catproof the garden so the cat cannot get out at all -if all else fails , find him a safe loving home elsewhere .

If that had happened to my cats -i would never speak to the neighbours again - i can''t understand how the dogs have got away with this - and who started them hating cats in the first place from when they were born ???
Not only that - i would have moved away as i would have been so incensed with them and their dogs - i would not have been able to see them every day without wanting to kill the lot of them !

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 20:49:35 PM »
I didn't want to say that but kind of agree. :shy:

Maybe taking on a "special needs" cat that needs to be indoor only would be more practical and finding a home this boy can roam safely. Sorry, I feel awful saying that!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 20:41:22 PM »
I dont want to sound callous but if you cant keep your cat safe (you owe him that) then I think you should maybe consider rehoming him to somewhere that he can live safely.  If these dogs have alredy killed cats of yours I personally would not have got another cat and put his life at risk.

IMO trying to  sensitizie your cat would be both cruel and confusing to him.  I hope you manage to find a solution and that your cat stays safe
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 19:45:41 PM »
 :welcome:
Do you have a pic of your new lad? Where did you get him from?

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 11:07:44 AM »
Having already lost that many cats to these dogs, I think it is time you considered some more practical response. Sensitising the cat to the dogs will also provide the dogs with an opportunity to become over-stimulated by the sight of the cat,so not a good idea at all.

You will need to consider restricting your cat to a run or enclosure, rather than giving it free rein to wander at will. Cats adjust quite happily to this sort of environment and you can make them rich and interesting places for them to be. But it does require a little discipline, a willingness to have some potentially unsightly infrastructure there, and to spend a bit of money on the protection. I have done this for my cats in other locations, and, while there are dogs around here that are a worry, my cats seem to have sufficient instinct to keep themselves safe.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 10:59:09 AM »
I would say put in a proper fence and please don't consider any invisible/freedom fences. They do deliver an electric shock which hurts, that's how the 'fence' works. Look at youtube and some of the humans who've 'tested' them out. They will not contain a determined animal who wants to get out, some will run straight through. It cannot stop animals getting in, so if the dogs escaped they could enter the area with your cats.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 10:50:33 AM »

Offline drmdjo

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 10:46:27 AM »
The neighbour has about 4 acres and could not practically cat-proof his grounds

We had thought of cooperating with the neighbour to 'sensitize' the cat to the dogs - ie make sure he is scared enough of them to avoid their territory - any ides on how we could do this?

"there is a system that can be buried undergroud and gives a static shock if the cat gets too close"

Could be pricey with 400m of boundary but do you know who supplies?

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 10:44:28 AM »
there is a system that can be buried undergroud and gives a static shock if the cat gets too close - not sure of the cost though - I know a bengal breeder who uses it and assures me it is not unkind

Offline drmdjo

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 10:40:50 AM »
can you enclose your garden so he can't get out?

We have about 400 meters of boundary much of it with trees and bushes alongside - so not really

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 10:34:32 AM »

Sadly, the only option I can think of too. If your neighbours aren't prepared to enclose their garden to a level that means cats can't get in, you have no real choice. :(

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 10:33:34 AM »
Blimey I can't see any way you can teach your cat to avoid the threat the only thing I can suggest is to keep your cat safe in your garden, I would be far too worried and wouldn't risk letting him out where the dogs may be - could you catproof the garden perhaps?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 10:34:04 AM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 10:32:40 AM »

Offline drmdjo

• Kitten
Cats & Dangeroue Dogs
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 10:29:06 AM »
We have a rescued cat (neutered male) new to our very rural location. He has quickly settled in and now has full control of our two King Charles Spaniels whom he treats with disdain.

He has recently started to hunt over a wide area including our neighbours grounds and this is the source of our and the neighbours' problems.

The neighbour has 2 Springer Spaniels who attack anything on sight on or off their territory. They have already killed 2 of our cats and a probable though unproven third - all outside the neighbours' grounds.

The neighbours have been cautioned by police over this and are are anxious as we are to avoid a repeat.

Do you know of a way to prevent our new cat from prowling the neighbours grounds or the part where their dogs' pen is - or at least how to teach him to recognise and avoid the threat?

Link to CatChat