Author Topic: Never use supermarket flea products!  (Read 11343 times)

Offline paddypaws

• Adult Cat
Re: Never use supermarket flea products!
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2010, 09:32:04 AM »
I stopped using Frontline as it did not seem to be effective any more, and I think a lot of people have had a similar issue with it.
If your cat is registered with the vet and has been seen recently, then most vets will be happy to sell the product without a consultation. The vet products are not cheap, but I only use them as needed once or twice a year, and then use another vet product ( RIP, Indorex etc ) to spray the whole house once a year.

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2010, 08:01:41 AM »

:shy:Where is the best place to get flea/worming products ... the vests? is it expensive

The vets is one option but they can have quite a mark up on products. Frontline is available in pharmacys but i think alot of people here use the internet for flea/wom products - if you go to the link tab above, there are sponsered links to VetUK, frontline and drontal can be brought straight away. stronghold, milbemax,advantage are prescription only so you have to get your vet to write you a prescription (mine charge for this and charge enough for it to actually be cheaper to buy from them  >:( ) vet uk- 17.45 for 6 normal frontline spot-ons, 1.50 for 1 drontal tablet- so about 40 squid a year  ;D

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2010, 01:47:23 AM »
I use Advantage on all my cats and have done for a good few years without any problems - hope this is still okay - its from the vets and only on prescription i think .

Offline Neos friend

• Kitten
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2010, 00:23:26 AM »
Don't forget to report to your vet (if that is where purchased from) and make sure he or she is reporting it on one of those forms we mentioned earlier in the thread.  ;)

I did get it from the local supermarket (morrisons) but I've seen it sold in pet shops... small local ones and the chain store types.
but I will report it... if pets are being effected then they need to know about it!

thanks

Offline madasacatter

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2010, 00:19:27 AM »
Don't forget to report to your vet (if that is where purchased from) and make sure he or she is reporting it on one of those forms we mentioned earlier in the thread.  ;)
Coventry Cat Group

Offline Neos friend

• Kitten
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2010, 23:52:15 PM »
I think my Neo has been affected by the Bob Martin tick & flea drops  :'(

I asked about a sore on my cat's neck (3/4 days after using the drops) and they reckon it's to do with this product.
she's had it before (maybe just the flea one rather than flea AND tick but can't remember now) and it was fine but I noticed in the last couple of days that she had a small patch of fur that looked stuck down... couldn't separate the hairs but I figured she might have wiped her self against something (I'm not sure what... I do crafts stuff but I keep all bottles of glue/latex etc in a cupboard which she can't open - and it has strong hinges that automatically close the doors)
but I noticed a few hours ago that the area had gone all red and sore... can't tell if it bled or not ... she didn't mind me touching it so I guess it's not painful (I hope it wont become so).
it looks horrible and did a panic wondering if I should take her to the vets... but I will keep a close eye on it - I took photo's and if it seems to look a little worse then she'll have to be carted off to the vets.

I've just had another look and it's not as red (hoorah  ;D) but still a little 'wet' sheen to the skin - she might have had a lick perhaps? she's sat under my chair so I've not seen what she's been doing.

:shy:Where is the best place to get flea/worming products ... the vests? is it expensive (I've not had pets for many years... since I was a kid and obviously I didn't take them to the vets or deal with this sort of thing... I've had guinea pigs who did have a phases of mites! poor things but that cleared up after jabs at the vets... but they don't need worming/flea products and never had any reactions to this sort of thing)

I also didn't realise that bob martin and similar were classed as 'supermarket' flea products... I thought supermarket products meant their own brand which is why I went for brand that I've heard before.

I hope this is a rare occurrence for people's pets!!!

8)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2010, 20:55:28 PM »
Gooey reacted to the last stronghold i applied, having been ok before that  :innocent: He got a burn  :(
Have seen burn reactions from all of the 3 main spot on products, normally on white cats but there was a black one too  :(

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2010, 09:14:50 AM »
Paddypaws, most people round here wish I would shut up.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

These threads will still be here years from now and many people stumble across Purrs looking for advice or doing research via Google. So I always try to be specific and clear in these kinds of replies. 'Cos you never know what help/harm our words can create for future generations.   :evillaugh:

Offline paddypaws

• Adult Cat
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2010, 08:53:19 AM »
Dear Julie,
Thank you SO much for that long patient reply. I read the sad, sad story of Spike and what he went through. Terrible.
I have always tried to minimise the chemicals that I use on the cats and I suppose this story just confirms my concerns. I think my plan of attack will be to lock the cats out for the day and spray the house as a preventative....and only dose the cats if I see them scratching. I also bought a product called Skoosh last year which is non-toxic so I feel safer using that than harsh chemicals.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2010, 07:43:21 AM »
Well, Paddypaws...  :hug:

A) I've never seen or heard of any reaction to Frontline
B) I've never seen or heard of any reaction to Stronghold
C) Reactions to Advocate are extremely rare and always show as hair loss, skin allergy and localised problems in and around the application site. Here is a link to Spike's story but beware before you read, it did not end well for poor Spike. http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,27127.200.html  :'(

What you described in your puss does sound like a bit poisoning but it doesn't fit with any problems I've seen with vet products except.... very occasional one cat will groom itself or its friend and end up swallowing a small amount of the product. If a cat were to swallow Advocate, or any other product, it's bound to make them yak.  :doh: Never heard of any fatalities from accidentally licking a spot on product though.  ;) I suppose if you were very concerned them grooming each other you could ask the vet for a buster collar for use until the product has properly dispersed.  :sneaky:

At the end of the day fleas kill hundreds more cats and kittens each year than flea treatments ever will. So please treat your cats and please feel safe using vet products once some basic precautions are in place. They deserve to enjoy the summer without those pesky fleas.  :) I mainly use Stronghold and I've treated hundreds of rescue cats and kittens with it and the only problems I've had is a puked up meal if one of them accidentally licks it off the other.  :doh:

Hope that helps.  :hug: :hug:

Offline paddypaws

• Adult Cat
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2010, 22:37:00 PM »
Ok, now I am a little worried...and confused.
I know not to use supermarket flea products, and even though one of my gang can suffer from FAD i have to say I have never routinely used even the vet products. However, last summer was a bit of an itchy one, and I was planning to dose the gang with Advocate sometime soon to hopefully ward off another summer flea attack. Now I am re-thinking. Hmm. This has also reminded me of an incident a couple of years ago when one of my boys had a dramatic collapse. The vet thought he was poisoned, possibly with anti-freeze. I did mention that I had dosed him with flea treatment ( dispensed by the vet!! ) just the day before. Vet re-assured me that it was not the flea treatment causing the poisoning. The cat recovered well but I have to say I have always hesitated to dose him since.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2010, 22:53:49 PM »
I found quite an informative site yesterday http://www.newmanveterinary.com/Fleas.html
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2010, 20:58:52 PM »
Depends what they're mixing it with, doesn't it? Lots of chemicals are relatively harmless unit mixed in compounds with other things.  :sneaky: And also in what concentration.  :shify:
Iv not heard of advocate causing toxic issues, topical reactions but not death.

We had someone on this board who lost a cat from Advocate last year. It started as a topical reaction and spread and spread. I believe there was nerve damage as well.  :'(

I've no heard back from the vet about whether she was able to obtain the packaging. Maybe the owner was too distressed... after all she probably feels responsible.  :doh:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2010, 20:50:19 PM »
Frontline is fipronil which again isnt known for causing toxic/death reaction

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2010, 20:47:44 PM »
I still think they have changed the formula of the basic cat one. The double action one is the same as frontline.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2010, 20:32:33 PM »
Iv not heard of advocate causing toxic issues, topical reactions but not death. Cetain breeds of dogs can have issues with it but thats all the bad iv heard of and its a very popular product.

Do you know what strength is in the BM version?

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2010, 22:27:06 PM »
We had an email today.  :sneaky: CP HQ vet department had written to BM and got not much joy back and all the expected flannel. All the professionals are convinced the problem lays with either mistaken, accidental or deliberate treatment of cats with the dog product. The dog product is known to be fatal on cats.  :tired:

BUT... apparantly one of the active ingredients of the current CAT version of BM is Imidacloprid... this is also used in Advocate.  :sneaky: Dum, dum, dum!  :innocent:

So... I am deducing that Imidacloprid is the culprit that is killing our cats.  :doh:

Online Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2010, 22:12:28 PM »
So sorry to hear this but what about Advocate?
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2010, 07:53:46 AM »
I am confused about this. They say their basic one contains Neem which is supposedly safe (and possibly ineffective) herbal treatment. I wonder if they have changed the formula for the cat one and the lady just picked up old stock - that or she picked up the dog one. (I wonder how many people pick up a dog one thinking it will treat 2 cats) To make matters more confusing, Bob Martin also make another flea product called dual-action, which has a different active ingredient and says it is for cats AND small dogs. The active ingredient in Frontline, Advantage etc. I know VetUK sell it as a cheaper alternative to Frontline.

ETA - I really think they must have changed the formula. I saw a review of the product dated November 2009 and it said Watchdog are doing a report - However, if they have changed the formula, they will get off scot-free.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 08:06:03 AM by Mark »

Offline madasacatter

• Senior Cat
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2010, 21:54:19 PM »
I was looking at adverse reactions possibly due to vaccination having been trying to help another member on here, and strangely enough yesterday I was on an alternative vet site and it mentioned suspected adverse reaction and that the vet in charge of the case should report anything he or she was suspicious of causing or not actually being effective.

I have just found this now, and you need to scroll past the human bit to get to the animal bit:-

http://www.vmd.gov.uk/General/Adverse/mal252.pdf

Coventry Cat Group

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2010, 21:35:00 PM »
RIP little one. so so so sad :(
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2010, 21:28:24 PM »
UPDATE!

I've just found this very interesting and very useful linkypoo.  :naughty:

http://www.vmd.gov.uk/General/Adverse/current.htm

Please report any illnesses or deaths attributed to ANY supermarket product to DEFRA's Adverse Reactions department. The link contains another link to the appropriate incident report form (scroll down from 'human' incident form to 'animal' incident form.  ;) ) DEFRA are actively collating information on these products and problems that arise. DEFRA is a Government organisation and not associated with any commercial enterprise so therefore have no vested interest but still carry a lot of clout.

Please spread this link around and also make your vets aware. Whatever the cause of this situation (correct product or mistaken application of the wrong product) one thing is for sure.... it is NOT imagination and there are too many reports for it to be a blip.  >:(

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2010, 19:22:35 PM »
Poor thing. RIP, Little One.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2010, 17:14:59 PM »
The poor lady must be devastated  :(
RIP little one

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2010, 17:13:36 PM »
Puss was PTS this afternoon, MM.  :'(

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2010, 17:00:02 PM »
So sad, is there any news on the ladies cat julie?
Then you get cases like that poor little chap recently who reacted to his normal vet sold treatment  :(

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2010, 16:30:14 PM »
I think it depends which one is used. They also make one called "Double action" for cats and dogs - it contains
"Active Ingredient: Imidacloprid 40 mg per 0.4 ml"

http://hubpages.com/hub/Advantage-Imidacloprid--Flea-Treatment-Pet-Poisoning-and-Death This has the same ingredient.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 16:33:28 PM by Mark »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2010, 16:23:35 PM »
Is Bob Martin using Neem a recent thing? - I'm sure it never used to be the ingredient. Is it possible the woman yesterday used old stock?

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2010, 15:51:49 PM »
I have spent the afternoon reading research papers. Boring! :nite:

CP HQ vet department say they've been trying to find concrete proof that it's the CAT version which is responsible and not owner applying the DOG version by mistake. It's well know the dog version is lethal to cats as it contain Permetherin. But the cat version contain Neem and there are no reports of problems with Neem. :tired: But we need proof it definitely is the CAT version killing cats.

Doesn't mean to say that proof can't be found though.  :sneaky:

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2010, 13:55:53 PM »
I'm sure theres a website/help group somewhere with loads of terrible stories
I've gotta go back to work but maybe someone wants to try and find it

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 13:51:41 PM »
There are some reviews here http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/pets-accessories/bob-martin-flea-products/reviews/

This is one of them. written in August 08

"My kittens have recently suffered a cruel death because of bob martin. I have contacted TRADING STANDARDS. I have been advised they will start an enquirey but need more complaints to make the enquirey go quicker. PLEASE. PLEASE make your voice count & try and get justice for these poor animals. Call 0845 404 0506 and make your complaint. Dont let Bob Martin get away with this. Thank You"

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 13:35:13 PM »
surely if this is happening often the rcvs should be getting involved

I don't think the RCVS's remit actually rates animal welfare or pet care products high up on the agenda to be honest. When you think of it you don't hear the BMA campaigning against products we know to be misleading and harmful.  :tired: I'd think Trading Standards is more the authority to deal with it.... but then it takes someone to complain and for there to be scientific concrete proof these products are a direct cause and huge companies can afford big lawyers.  :(

I'm afraid what this needs is a class action and someone to champion it. It needs hundreds of cases to group together and the organisation to link all these bereaved owners is not there.  :tired:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 13:27:51 PM »
And F.anny's your aunt.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 13:26:51 PM »

But between us ...which product was used Julie ?

BM  :innocent:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 13:13:44 PM »
surely if this is happening often the rcvs should be getting involved

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 13:13:25 PM »

But between us ...which product was used Julie ?

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 12:22:56 PM »
I think it should be on CP main website. They don't have to name brands - I know they could end up in court that way - but they could just say that brands sold in supermarkets are at best ineffective and at worse, lethal  :( - in fact, CP could probably make a bomb having a VetUK or similar link on the main site.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 12:25:54 PM by Mark »

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 12:00:21 PM »
Lottie
Would you mind sending me the document you have or give out when rehoming kittens? All our HC people do have some knowledge of this to pass on but if there was something that can be modified that i an let them know about as well. We do have an article on our website about this... Would save reinventing the wheel and be much appreciated!
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 11:46:13 AM »
Sending all the vibes to the poor little cat. When will they be taken off the market? >:(

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Link to CatChat