Author Topic: Kitten with upset tum - advise pls?  (Read 2948 times)

Offline Abbi

• Adult Cat
Re: Kitten with upset tum - advise pls?
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2010, 16:29:21 PM »
Thanks for your reassurring words, sorry to hear your baby had troubles.

Abbi  :hug:

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2010, 16:28:15 PM »
I had a cat who was a flu carrier...and although she had it really bad as a kitten (aswell as calici) she never had a flare up again, not even when she was pregnant, when she had Mastitis and when she had cancer
So Don't worry too much xxx
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 16:35:50 PM by furbabystar (Michelle) »

Offline Abbi

• Adult Cat
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2010, 15:46:52 PM »
Leo is eating like a pig!!!  I was worried he would turn his nose up at the perscription food but he loves it!!  I am feeding him that and some boiled chicken and tum is ok, its more his eyes with the cat flu and only a few sneezes.

Fingers crossed he will be ok! 

He got spoilt rotten this week I got him a cardboard aeroplane from Seapets to play in, he loves it!!!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2010, 15:44:49 PM »
untreated it is horrible and certainly a killer but you've done everything you needed to I'm sure he will be fine in no time, the hardest thing I found was getting oscar to eat, because he couldn't smell anything he just wouldn't eat anything finally ended up giving him tuna for a few days but he wouldn't touch any of the vets offerings!

Offline Abbi

• Adult Cat
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2010, 15:41:46 PM »
I know it freaked me out a bit what with loosing Archie only 4 weeks ago and I thought cat flu was a killer, I guess it could be if you left it untreated!  But I could see the signs in his eyes poor little thing, he is so happy though, just hope he does not get it too much (for his sake)

Amber is vacinated against it, and the vet said not to worry about them mixing which put my mind at rest a little.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2010, 15:39:17 PM »
yes I wouldn't worry too much - before I got my bengal kitten i thought i should check with the vet if it was safe to bring another cat into the house and he was very laid back about it - he said lots of cats are carrier and you just don't know

with my Oscar stess is the big factor

Offline Abbi

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2010, 15:36:13 PM »
Thanks Dawn, i know I can't belive it poor little thing, and she said it might be why he has an upset tum too!  But you would not know in his personality he is such a happy little boy!

The vet said when he is castrated she can take a swab from the back of his throat to try and find out what virus he has and give him an injection which might help with it flaring up!  But she said if he gets stressed etc it might come out!

But fingers crossed we are getting there with treating him, and he is part of my family now and will do everything I can to help my little man.

x

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2010, 15:28:19 PM »
poor little Leo - one of mine had cat flu as a kitten he has only had one flare up when he was neutered, he gets stressed at the vets which brings him down but generally you wouldn't know

Offline Abbi

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2010, 15:24:48 PM »
Hello All!

Thought I would updated you on Leo, he has been to the vets and unfortunately established he also has cat flu!  He is on medication for the cat flu and for conjuntivitis and also meds for his tummy and a perscription diet, on a better note, his tummy is much better and he is still full of life and a absoutle pleasure to have!

Hope you are all well and have a lovely bank holiday weekend!

Abbi & Leo  :thanks:

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2010, 13:58:28 PM »
As Gillian said - try the chicken without the rice - when my Bengals had bad tummies I tried the rice and it gave the term "pebbledash" a whole new meaning  :sick:

I hope your little one gets better soon x
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2010, 13:08:34 PM »
Ditto to finding bad breeders terribly annoying..... ;)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2010, 12:08:17 PM »
For Abbi...  :hug: :hug: :hug:

It's not a sin to be a concerned owner/slave.  :evillaugh: No one is having a pop at you, hunny, but we do get cross with breeders who fall short of the mark. We see it so many times and people join purrs in exactly your position - trying to find support and understanding. Honest, decent people who have their hearts broken and there's really no need for it.  >:( A good breeder would be pulling hair out now and offering every kind of support they can think of. The implications for the rest of the litter and the queen can be quite serious until you've got to the bottom of the issue.  :(

So you stick with us, Abbi. A lot of us have been in your boat and we know how you feel.  :hug: :hug:

what she said!  bad breeders are a pet irritation of mine - yes I do have a problem with them - not you!

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2010, 12:06:12 PM »
For Abbi...  :hug: :hug: :hug:

It's not a sin to be a concerned owner/slave.  :evillaugh: No one is having a pop at you, hunny, but we do get cross with breeders who fall short of the mark. We see it so many times and people join purrs in exactly your position - trying to find support and understanding. Honest, decent people who have their hearts broken and there's really no need for it.  >:( A good breeder would be pulling hair out now and offering every kind of support they can think of. The implications for the rest of the litter and the queen can be quite serious until you've got to the bottom of the issue.  :(

So you stick with us, Abbi. A lot of us have been in your boat and we know how you feel.  :hug: :hug:

Offline Abbi

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2010, 11:35:53 AM »
Thanks for your reassuring words.

Abbi

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2010, 11:28:42 AM »
Hi Mark,

Thank you, I am keeping a very close eye on him and will take the milk away from today, I was actually watering it down day by day to get him off it, but I honestly do think that is the cause of the problem.  I am going to try chicken and rice from tomorrow if things have not improved and a trip to the vets might be in order...

He seems totally good apart from this problem..

Thanks again
Abbi

I would try just plain chicken, no rice. I'd imagine its the change of food, his tum not used to the grains/cereals in science plan. Hope all goes well at the vets.  :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 11:27:26 AM »
Abbi, welcome to Purrs. Hope the vet visit is sorted soon and Leos problem improves. :) I do think that the milk might be a no go for a little while, just to see if there's a marked improvement in his toileting.

Pictures of felines are always welcome. ;)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 11:06:13 AM »
I agree, once he's been checked over by the vet you will feel more reasured  :)
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Abbi

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 10:52:19 AM »
Thanks Ruth.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 10:51:17 AM »
Abbi, I am sure it's distressing for you right now so you might misinterpret any comments of advice as a lecture. It is not intended in that way by any member.

We are trying to help, and the key information we have provided you, which you have already followed, is to get your kitten checked by a vet. 

I am sure once you get back from your vet visit you will not only feel relief in knowing the outcome of treatment, but also that you can get back to enjoying your little one.

Offline Abbi

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 10:44:39 AM »
I feel like I am the one being told off here, I came on here to get advise because i am worried and want to get him better not for a lecture

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 10:29:21 AM »
I'd definitely get a vet check, a breeder who is willing to let a kitten go this early without vaccinations isn't a very good one - hopefully it is a food or milk issue but better to be sure

Offline Abbi

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 10:08:24 AM »
Milk is being taken away and water give.

Vets being arranged.

Wormed and 1st injection given by my vet 14th April, unsure of wormer.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 10:03:55 AM »
Ditto what Ruth said.  :sneaky:

I would expect a normal, healthy 10 week old to show a passing interest in milk and to drink it if offered but water should be a standard drink now. But I doubt milk alone would be the soul cause of a problem like this. If the breeder can offer no advise that doesn't bode well either.  :doh:

Has kitten been wormed and if so, what with?  :shy:

Offline Abbi

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 09:57:54 AM »
Hi Mark,

Thank you, I am keeping a very close eye on him and will take the milk away from today, I was actually watering it down day by day to get him off it, but I honestly do think that is the cause of the problem.  I am going to try chicken and rice from tomorrow if things have not improved and a trip to the vets might be in order...

He seems totally good apart from this problem..

Thanks again
Abbi

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 09:56:35 AM »
Since kittens can get dehydrated very quickly, I would, as a precaution, take him to the vet asap. Please let us know how you get on.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 09:54:45 AM »
Some cats can't tolerate cat milk which is lactose reduced. Two of mine get upset tums if I give them any kind of milk. I think it is more to do with milk proteins than lactose. One of my cats gets the runs with cat milk yet there is a supplement I have to put in all his meals and the main ingredient is lactose but that doesn't upset him. I think water is better for them anyway - they soon get used to it  :evillaugh:. I would be careful with a kitten with the runs as dehydration can be really dangerous.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 09:59:44 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Abbi

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 09:48:52 AM »
I am aware of that, I have two peds in the past and both were 13 weeks. 

The breeder was feeding whiskers!!!!!!!!!!  I thought best to change and did gradually.

Could this be the kitten milk?

Thanks

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 09:46:40 AM »
he's young to have left his mum - normally peds are 13 weeks - are you feeding him the same as the breeder?

Offline Abbi

• Adult Cat
Kitten with upset tum - advise pls?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 09:44:51 AM »
Hello, I am Abbi (new today) I have two cats, Amber (8 year old BSH)  and Leo 10 week old cream BSH.

Leo is very lively eating well and drinking, he is eating, Hill Science plan for kitten and is having kitten milk, his toilet is all over the place, more runny than normal, usually ok in the morning but bad by the evening, can anyone suggest what this might be, and I am sure that he probably should not be having kitten milk??  Is water ok at this young age??  How would I wearn him off the milk, or just put him onto water straight away.

Amber eates Royal Canin ultra light (as she is a porkie pig) and water never milk or cat milk.  Her tummy is ok..

Leo is otherwise completely normal, has had his first jabs about 10 days ago and a wormer at the same time.... but the upset tum was before this on and off. 

Thanks for your help in advance.

Abbi, Amber and Leo

:O)
x

Link to CatChat