Author Topic: Jake's cystitis is still confusing me!!  (Read 1551 times)

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
Re: Jake's cystitis is still confusing me!!
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 19:02:26 PM »
I know you will keep a close eye on things but please do, my Sylvester suffered terribley when he was alive and he would go downhill very very quickly.   

Hope everything stays fine x x x

Offline rachelburdett20

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 14:25:28 PM »
thanks for the reply.....

havent got feilway pluged in but am in the process of trying rescue remedies, I would just feed him wet but he is not overly keen, he will eat some but loves biscuits, he only gets a few biscuits, enough to cover the bottom of his bowl + wet food

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 23:05:56 PM »
All the prescription diets do is force them to drink more water - increased water intake is something that can be achieved by simply feeding a wet diet. I would avoid dry altogether.  It is said that fish, which is high in magnesium, can excacerbate cystitis probs, but I'm guessing that only if fed regularly, I expect an occasional fishy meal won't hurt.

So, if it is infection and/or stress causing the cystitis - then it  probably isnt diet related. I would imagine the improvement in his peeing episodes is down to the fact that he is not so stressed now and the infection is under control - nothing to do with the prescription diet. Presume you have Feliway diffusers plugged in to help keep his stress levels down?

Offline rachelburdett20

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 22:26:21 PM »
Thanks for the replys

when he was originaly digonosed, i actualy took him in for a recuring skin problem on his thighs, he would over groom and chew himself till it was bleeding. the first time i took him for the skin problem, i never mentioned his behaviour as he has always been like that since he was a kitten - agressive towards humans, dominating and agressive towards his sster and older female and peeing all over the house - carpets/door mats/ bath tub to the extent we had to replace a whole bedroom carpet and several door mats.

I mentioned his behavior as a more seriours matter the time he was diagnosed with cyistitus because parents were on the verge of not letting him in the house, and because the vet thought there was another underlying problem that ment the treatments for his skin were not working because his immune system was supressed

she tested the urine back in feb and had blood/ protien/ white cells and crystals all present

the vet thought there was two causes for the cyistitius....stress from being top cat and two recent moves and the infection

since beinf on the original urininary diet (3 months) we have aprox 5 acidents.....a huge improvement from the 2-3 a day so i do feal the treatment untilll now has been correct

he is having another check up in 8 weeks time, i am very weary of doing anything that will make him worse again....like putting him onto JWB

The royal cannin young male and the urininary both state they dilute the urine which the vet nurse told me today is what stops it from re occuring

Is Applaws fish ok as well??......read somewhere that fish has higher magnesium.....will be watering this down

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 17:16:46 PM »
The diet you are about to change to, young neutered male, isnt a special food, you need to increase his water intake to help flush that out which feeding a dry diet wont achieve.
I'd feed him a 100% wet food diet like the bozita and have him rechecked say 3 months down the line.
I would also try a course of cystease as it helps replace the GAGs in the bladder lining that will have been irritated by the sediment and the inflammation from having cystitis

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 14:21:36 PM »
So he had a urinary tract infection causing the cystitis? in which case it doesnt sound like it was diet related in the first place so why they put him on a urinary diet is beyond me! I'm surprised they didnt detect ANY crystals in the urine - as actually its perfectly normal for there to be crystals - its only when there is an irritation in the bladder (maybe due to infection or other causes - stress, diet etc) there may be an overgrowth of crystals which can cause problems and further irritate the bladder.

Water content in food is important for cats as they aren't natural drinkers, and unfortunately a dry diet doesnt contain enough moisture and cats can't drink enough to keep their moisture levels up, so dry diets don't help the condition either. I would have thought Bozita wet food would be fine, its meat content is good and it doesnt contain cereals/grains. Applaws wet is fine, but its not a complete diet, so shouldnt be fed exclusively.

Its right that Cystease can soothe/protect the lining of the bladder, but its generally used in recurrent cystitis cases, rather than a (hopefully) one off case likely due to infection.

Offline rachelburdett20

• Adult Cat
Jake's cystitis is still confusing me!!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 13:57:54 PM »
Hi

A few months  back (maby feb) my 2.5 yrold male was diagnosed with cronic non obstrustive cystitis, he also had an infection so was prescribed antibiotics and put on royal cannin urinianary diet

he has just been back to the vets today and saw the head vet nurse who took a urine sample and tested it, aparently there are no crystals but still lots of sediment (not sure if thats the right word!) in his urine.

I asked if he could go back onto his original diet (JWB and botzila) she said he could but she wouldnt recomend it as it is likly that he will develop crystals again, he has now been put on royal cannin young neutered male (when he has finished his urinary food)

I questioned her about the cyistease (??) tablets i had read about she said they were for protecting the bladder lining not stoping crystals reforming

The price of the diet is not my main concern, but the quailty is, I always fed him high quility with no additives as i thought it was best

I am tempted to order some cyistease but am reluctunt to without the vets recomendation

I was looking at applaws wet food as it is quite runny and moist and from what i can gather high water content is important

have also read somewhere that it needs to be low magnesium content??

he is going for another check up in 8 weeks......

what would you recomend??

Link to CatChat