Author Topic: Can anyone help and advice please  (Read 1758 times)

Offline sallyagdm

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Arnie, Gucci and Dandy
Re: Can anyone help and advice please
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2010, 17:10:31 PM »
Would this be of any use as it is designed for cats?
http://www.dermapetwear.com/products.html#cat

Offline Karen-covcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
  • my babies
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 15:17:22 PM »
Babygro is a great idea and i think we still have some that i was going to get rid of but put in my daughters dolls dressing up stuff. Will let you know how i get on. Also think i will try some of that royal canin sensistive food.

Thanks so much will give anything a go

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 15:08:22 PM by trigger »
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Lottie (Team Svartalfheim's)

• Distinguished Cat
  • GB* Svartalfheim's Sunset Boulevard
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest cats
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 14:53:01 PM »
YorkTest can do allergy testing from a blood sample (although they need to have been off steroids for a certain number of days prior to testing) I had full food and environmental panels done and it cost over £400!  :Crazy:

http://www.animal-allergy.com/

Feel free to visit the Team at www.svartalfheim.co.uk

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 14:51:41 PM »
Another thing to try insterad of the cone may be a babygro tyooe thing that means no cone and he can have some freedom - we have used it on a couple of over groomers and the diet to - Royal Canin sensitive worked for us with the baby gro - much to our vets amazement as the front paws can go in sleeves and the other end can stay open for obvious reasons - we also had a bit of gauze bandage for the one who was a pain and kept trying to remove his new vest!

Baby socks and masking tape worked on Jazz  our late JRT when she had a lick granuloma on her paws!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 13:54:41 PM »
Karen daughters cat Dible was put on Royal Canin Sensitive dry.

Been thinking about a white cat I rescued many years ago Mungo,his was caused by a hormone imbalance and he had Ovarid and everytime we weaned him off he would start biting himself again, the lad remained on a minute dose of ovarid which eventually solved his skin problem but caused diabetes.

Olly was more recent and is still here he chewed at his foot until vet wanted to amputate toe but that wouldnt have stopped him, I remember telling vet ok toe this week, foot next week, leg week after then what, at that point I decided to be cruel and use cone non stop, it worked.
Dont forgot as wound heals and fur is ready to start growing it can cause a fresh itch, I`m afraid Fluffy is going to keep you on your toes for a long time  :hug:

Offline Karen-covcats

• Adult Cat
  • my babies
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 13:41:37 PM »
Thanks for that Teresa, no the vet hasnt taken any skin scapings maybe that is something to ask the vet about. With the food allergy it is alot of money to test which i know that if we were sure it was going to help the group would be prepared to spend but its the not knowing thats the problem. I wonder if there is a more common allergy and food to use so i could maybe put him on the food anyway if it wouldnt affect him any other way!
The cone i am not bothered how long he wears it and after the first time i put a collar on it (had banage from the vets before) so he couldnt get it off but somehow he did and he doesnt need very long as as soon as its off he licks at his wound! Any ideas how to keep it on better. Also ive noticed that he can reach his back by his tail with the cone on but he hasnt managed to do asmuch damage there its just missing abit of hair but not broken the skin!

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 13:29:12 PM »
Firstly there is a method of having cats tested for allergies but it is very expensive.My daughter spent over £200 on tests for a similar problem which threw up several food allergies and then adjusted diet to resolve the problem.

I feel if this was a flea allergy Fluffy would have lots more wounds on him Has vet taken skinscrapings?

It could be anything from a hormone imbalance to habit. Sadly some poor cats suffer an irritation for so long it can become a habit to overgroom and it can be a matter of  forcing them to keep the collar on for months in order to break the habit. I know this worked when Ollie decided to chew his foot. Best of luck, hope Fluffy can soon be sorted. :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 13:12:06 PM »
Blimey! that does look sore Karen  :( poor boy.  I've never had this happen with my cats, maybe someone will come along who has but I think you're right to go back and get it investigated further  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Karen-covcats

• Adult Cat
  • my babies
Can anyone help and advice please
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 13:03:47 PM »
I have had this lovely foster boy with me for about a month now.He came into us because he had licked away a sore on his side and dispite the neighbour of his owner (owner a grumpy old man) taking him to the pdsa twice it was not healing. The owner had refused to take him again and the neighbour then told him to hand Fluffy over to us or he would report him.
Anyway i took him to the vets and vet said it was likely to be an allergy like fleas, he said they havent got a method for testing cats for allergies so there wasnt a way to find out what Fluffy was reacting to. Fluffy was showing now sign of fleas and the vet gave him an injection to stop the itch and some stuff to wash it with and cream to put on it and a cone to stop him getting at it and to take him back in two weeks.
So me and my hubby worked hard with him washing and creaming and fussing of course and fleaed and wormed him and a few nights before he was due to go back to the vets we were admiring our good work as it had all scabbed up and was looking well on the mend. The next afternoon i walked in to find he had got his cone off (only for about an hour) and had licked it raw again and licked some hair from near his tail away. I was gutted back to square one! At the vets the next day i was obiously concerned that even if we managed to get it all healed and better that as soon as i removed the cone he would do it again. The Vet said some cats are just like that this time of year and have to come in for a regular monthly visit for an injection to stop the itch. So another injection that was supposed to last 4 weeks was given.
That was 2 and a half weeks ago and he was healing up nicely again scab had all fallen of bar one tiny little bit smaller that an penny and he got his cone off again some time last night and this morning its raw again.
Of course i will be off to the vets again next week but i wondered if anyone had been through this before and had any advice. Is there a good food to try him on (hes on felix pouches and orijon at mo) if its an allergy to that. I know cats can do this from stress and yes he is in a pen now but came from a home with this and he had loads of freedom there! He is very friendly and has not really bothered when im having to bath or cream him!
I just dont know what to do for fear that its never going to stop, and he is such a lovely boy who may not be able to find a new home as its hard enough when they are older (he is about 5) and all black let alone when you have any problems

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Link to CatChat