Author Topic: Is it ok to seperate them?  (Read 2082 times)

Offline catalyst

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Milo and Pagan
Re: Is it ok to seperate them?
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2010, 18:30:07 PM »
Well when i had them in that one night they  must have got bored! The following nights when i had the door open they chose to sleep in the lounge! So  now i just open the door if they are on my bed when i go to sleep as thats the nights the obviously want to be closer. If they are in the lounge the door gets shut. Seems to be fine with them but the scratching does still happen. I think the automatic feeder would work a treat as i have taken to just getting up as soon as they scratch and feed them. They are quiet after that so i have another snooze.

Milo has been going out more on his own in the evenings as its lighter. I look out for him at the window to let him back in Pagan does not get let out! She cannot look after herself and would need rescued each time. But she isnt too fussed about going out.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 20:42:59 PM »
How its going catalyst? Looking like this yet  :tired:!
If you get a flap its still safest to lock them in at night

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 21:33:07 PM »
Well i had them both in my room last night and as always Pagan was a sweetheart and slept all night but Milo tried all his tricks. The one that made me get up though was when he just sat at stared at me  :Crazy: Why is it you can just feel so freaked out when you know a cat is looking at you with such intensity lol.

I actually think what will help this is to have Milo be able to go outside when he wants. He is just an energetic cat and wants me up and about. I hope to get a cat flap put in if the landlord will let me.

Noah is very active at night, he plays loads with his Turbo Track (from the Purrs shop) especially since we added the flashing ball. :wow: If he gets bored I just put it away for a week or two or buy some extra parts! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIgdVucDeVU
You might also consider a SlimCat feeder ball - toy and food all rolled into one - or maybe make your own intelligence toy, there are loads of ideas on YouTube if you search 'katzenfummelbrett'. Last idea is wax ear plugs, they are far more effective and more comfortable than foam ones.  ;)
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 23:05:29 PM »
Dave harasses me silly in the morning but it would be far worse if I shut him out. Chilli doesn't bother either way. It will take them time to adjust to the new regime as it will all be a bit of a novelty but they'll settle eventually. well, that's what I keep telling myself two years down the line :evillaugh:

As for potential suitors, well, I'm single and for me it's the ultimate test. They have to put up with my moggies, awkward moment or not, or it will just never work :shy:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 17:38:51 PM »
If you just shut your eyes and go to sleep you wont see him and he will stop lol

Wait till you are in a sandwich like me! one birman on each side, one with his bloomim paws in my hair and one or both sharing my pillow.............yawnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Offline catalyst

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 17:34:16 PM »
Well i had them both in my room last night and as always Pagan was a sweetheart and slept all night but Milo tried all his tricks. The one that made me get up though was when he just sat at stared at me  :Crazy: Why is it you can just feel so freaked out when you know a cat is looking at you with such intensity lol.

I actually think what will help this is to have Milo be able to go outside when he wants. He is just an energetic cat and wants me up and about. I hope to get a cat flap put in if the landlord will let me.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 12:28:34 PM »
Yeah i had thought to let them both in to my room. But (and i know this sounds silly) i am recently single and dont want to put any potential suiters off me by having cats on my bed. What if i want some peace and quiet....  :shy: ? The cats wont understand why i want them out the room.

My cats have beds on the floor for occasions like that, and they go their out of choice (well, Molly tends to climb in the bed base actually!).
Please spay your cat

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 21:32:38 PM »
Yes MM that is  :Crazy:  :evillaugh:

I do find with mine that if Im giving attention to one, one of the others can take offence  :Crazy:
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline catalyst

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 21:11:17 PM »
Yeah i had thought to let them both in to my room. But (and i know this sounds silly) i am recently single and dont want to put any potential suiters off me by having cats on my bed. What if i want some peace and quiet....  :shy: ? The cats wont understand why i want them out the room.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 20:18:10 PM »
i worry too much about my cats thinking i have a favourite, thats why i always open the same flavours of food incase they think someone elses is better. Im  :Crazy:

I'm exactly the same they always have to get equal treatment  :)
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 20:18:01 PM »
I think this may give you more probs than you have at present, its very hard to allow one cat in and not the other, especially if the one you dont allow in has been there longer.

Personally I would just leave the door open so they could come and go when they wanted  :innocent: which mine do. Currently two sleep on bed and normally only two come into bedroom but last night all 4 were in there!

I have no idea what made that happen  :shify:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 20:11:34 PM »
I'd just leave the door open and ignore unwanted behaviour until it stops but then i worry too much about my cats thinking i have a favourite, thats why i always open the same flavours of food incase they think someone elses is better. Im  :Crazy:

Offline catalyst

• Adult Cat
Is it ok to seperate them?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 20:08:12 PM »
The only problem iv had with my cats, behaviour wise, is scratching at my door in the early hours. I have 2 cats. One scratches to be fed, the other because she wants to be near me. The older one who just wants fed scratches teh carpet outside my bedroom door and i have mastered this by putting plastic sheeting on the carpet outside my door. So the carpet is protected and he can scratch away and not harm anything. If i let him in my room at night he would cause havoc. He would chase my feet under the covers all night. So i cant have him in my room.

My younger cat only recently started to scratch at the actual door when we moved house. She has always been a little clingy. The problem i have is that she has taken the paint off the doors and i am in a rented flat. I have tried sticking stuff to the door to stop her but it doesnt work. I have tried bitter spray but it doesnt work. Thing is this cat would sleep quietly on my bed until i got up in the morning.

So i was thinking to have the older cat outside in the hallway/lounge at nights and the younger cat in my room. This means she wouldnt scratch my door which is harder to protect, while the older cat can continue to go at the protected carpet. Im not a fan of cats on my bed at night as the hairs can be bad but i would happily have her in my room if it stops the door being torn to bits.

What do you think? Is it wrong to seperate them at night?

Link to CatChat