Author Topic: Sick cat since last Thursday - vet says Gastritis?  (Read 3799 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Sick cat since last Thursday - vet says Gastritis?
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2010, 08:26:01 AM »
Glad to hear she is doing better. I have had Metaclompromide (sp?) and felt fine on it, just relieved not to be feeling sick!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2010, 23:22:56 PM »
so pleased she is picking up and hope for a full recovery by end of week  :hug: :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2010, 20:04:08 PM »
 ;D That's great news, I have been thinking of her.  Hopefully she's really starting to pick up now.

(yep the Metoclopramide made me feel like I didn't know where to put myself - horrible) 

Janeyk - he brought this up actually...! I didn't even mention what you'd said but he asked if she had been a bit odd after the injection! He said a cat has been known to walk backwards after having this drug!!

It is a very strange drug, whenever anyone mentions it I always point that out because I wouldn't want a cat to feel how I did.  As I said, I mentioned it to a friend who's cat was given it and she stopped the medication when I told her because she said her cat had been very restless come to think of it. 
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 20:06:28 PM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Elle CatRescueUK

• Adult Cat
  • Cat Rescue UK
    • Cat Rescue UK
  • Slave to: Phoebe, Boomer, Dillon, Aiden & Billy!
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2010, 19:23:30 PM »
Thanks for the replies :) I collected her at 5.30 and the vet said the tests didn't show anything unusual or serious. Only her white blood cell count is quite low. He said this points towards tummy virus. So they gave her a different type of anti sickness drug and a long lasting antibiotic injection so I don't need to try and get tablets into her anymore. They said she wasn't dehydrated but they gave her fluids anyway (I think). All a bit of a whirl as I was so worried. But all in all he expects her to get better and not vomit anymore but they want to check her on Wednesday.

She is looking a lot perkier actually, so I am sure just not feeling sick is making a big difference!  :)

(yep the Metoclopramide made me feel like I didn't know where to put myself - horrible) 

Janeyk - he brought this up actually...! I didn't even mention what you'd said but he asked if she had been a bit odd after the injection! He said a cat has been known to walk backwards after having this drug!!

Desley - she is 7 years old approx but when I got her she was thought to be about a year old (rescue cat- as all of mine are)

www.catrescue.uk
Rescue & Rehoming Stray and Unwanted Cats in Nottinghamshire. I am an independant rescue.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 15:25:48 PM »
Fingers crossed it is nothing serious - how old is she?
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 14:18:11 PM »
I hope the tests show up what problem is so it can be sorted rather than them having to fish in the dark  :hug: :hug:

The GA consent is because some cats dont like bloods being taken so they have to sedate at least to get the amount of blood needed,  try not to worry but I know you will  :hug: :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 14:12:21 PM »
I've just read this - I really hope the results are back soon to put your mind at ease. One of our cats is currently going through what seems to be a "regurgitating" phase and it's freaking me out, too.

She had a check today and the vet said there wasn't anything obviously wrong so we're trying sensitive stomach food to see if it helps.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 14:08:46 PM »
Awww, sending you a big  :hug: :hug:

Do try not to worry though (easier said than done  :hug: )

If the bloods do show anything, at least you'll know what you're dealing with, and can treat accordingly.  If it is anything to do with thyroid, this is easily treated  :hug:

Please keep us posted xx

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 12:58:06 PM »
Aww poor girl, hope everything goes well for her today, will keep everything crossed xx   :hug:

Offline Elle CatRescueUK

• Adult Cat
  • Cat Rescue UK
    • Cat Rescue UK
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 12:50:23 PM »
janeyk - she was a bit restless on saturday after the jab, yes.

Well I have some news. I saw a different vet this morning to the one the other day and he is concerned that it's something else causing the illness. When I asked what it could be if it wasn't a tummy bug he said "lots of things" but he wants bloods done today for a number of things inc Thyroid. Basically I had to drive her to their other practice a few miles away as it's a bigger practice where they do all ops and tests and I had to leave her there until 5.30pm tonight  :scared: I had to sign forms saying that I consent to anaesthic if needed to do the test and she may need to go on a drip to get fluids into her depending on what they find.  :'(

I am really upset in case she is seriously ill but I can't let myself cry because I have twin toddlers to look after right now. I think I am going to explode with tears though as I can't fight them back.
www.catrescue.uk
Rescue & Rehoming Stray and Unwanted Cats in Nottinghamshire. I am an independant rescue.

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 10:08:59 AM »
Hope that the injection helps her  :hug: has your cat been restless at all on the Metoclopramide? the reason I ask is that I was prescribed it in tablet form for myself and they made me feel terribly restless, really awful and I couldn't take them (they are for nausea yes) I also know of someone else who was prescribed them for her puss and she was the same.  The injection may not affect the cat in the same way though and I hope your girl hasn't had those effects  :hug:
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 10:11:23 AM by Janeyk »

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 09:59:42 AM »
Good luck with the visit today, hope they can stop the vomitting, she must be feeling rotten, poor baby  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Elle CatRescueUK

• Adult Cat
  • Cat Rescue UK
    • Cat Rescue UK
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 09:22:43 AM »
Well I have called the vets and the receptionist put me on hold whilst she talked to a vet and they say she needs another injection. She said the first injection would have helped to stop the sickness a bit but not enough and another is required. So I am assuming the injection was some sort of anti sickness drug then. I can't find the bill to be able to look it up  :-: Typical isn't it?! Must ask them to confirm what she's had when I got at 10.40am.

Edit - found the bill it was metoclopramide that she had injected as well as Synulox inj.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 09:32:34 AM by boyohboy »
www.catrescue.uk

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 08:51:04 AM »
Yes do let us know how things go xx

Offline Elle CatRescueUK

• Adult Cat
  • Cat Rescue UK
    • Cat Rescue UK
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 08:25:43 AM »
Ok thank you for your replies. I will just call and ask them to see her then today. I'll update here when I know anything.

:thanks:
www.catrescue.uk

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 08:21:20 AM »
Morning and welcome  :welcome:

She does need to go back to the vets really.

Let us know how you get on  :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 08:15:11 AM »
If there's been no improvement since Thursday I would definitely ring the vets and ask.  If it's gastroenteritis then the abs etc may just clear it up eventually.  I suffer gastritis on and off, for humans sometimes the cause is known and sometimes hard to solve, I make alot of acid.  It can sometimes be treated or keep flaring up.  I'm not sure about cats though so I would get some more info whichever the vet said you're obviously concerned so need to put your mind at rest or get the cat looked at again  :hug:

Offline Elle CatRescueUK

• Adult Cat
  • Cat Rescue UK
    • Cat Rescue UK
Sick cat since last Thursday - vet says Gastritis?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 07:59:43 AM »
Tbh, I can't remember as I was pretty upset but I think she said Gastritis (poss gastroentiritis?) and gave her an anti biotic shot and tablets to start 24 hours after injection - twice daily. This was on Saturday morning. She was less sick saturday aft/eve but then just before her tablet was due on Sunday, she vomited again. We gave her the tablet then half hour later she vomited pink bile (the colour of the tablet).

Sunday eve -
10.30pm - more bile
11pm - tablet
Monday (today at 4.30am) - more bile,
5.50am - more bile
7am - eaten a tiny amount of wet food

I have no idea if this is normal?!! If I take her to the vet again today she might say that "it is perfectly normal for this kind of bug and the antibiotics won't stop her vomiting, but she will get better in a few days",

or

"the antibiotics should be working by now and we need to see her immediately"

I can't ring until 9am. I don't want the receptionist to tell me to come down anyway just to be told by the vet that it is normal and just keep giving her the tablets. I have 2 small children that I have to arrange a sitter for to get the cat to the vet so I only want to go if a Vet says they defintitly need to see her today. From past experience the receptionists make it hard to speak to a vet.

Is there anyone online who can advise? Do gastric illnesses take up to a week to clear up? Should the tablets be stopping her vomiting? Does it sound like a misdiagnosis?

:(
www.catrescue.uk

Link to CatChat