Author Topic: Clapton limping and holding paw up  (Read 1978 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Clapton limping and holding paw up
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2010, 16:18:15 PM »
I will keep a close eye. Thursday is the worse day as I am out from 7.30am til about 5.30pm -
If I thought he needed the vet, I would skip class though  :Luv2:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2010, 13:11:03 PM »
Glad he seems a lot better :Luv:- we had this with Monty a few weeks ago and it may still be worth giving the paw a good look as he had a bit of a limp, then it seemed to go so we though fine, went away for a few days and when we came home, the next morning his foot had an absess on it. If they snag a claw, they can get quite easily infected. All the treatment that was needed was to cut the offending claw right back and give ABs but he was in a lot of pain when it did blow up. It may be that if he's snagged his claw or if it is a bit ingrown (vesry common in middle aged and older cats) then he could have it looked at before any infection gets in. It may be nothing but worth a look.  :hug:
Monty is a right feisty one where his paws are concerned but vet has recommended we cut his claws once a month- we have invested in some leather gauntlets!  :evillaugh:

Hope your foot starts to feel better soon as well hun- maybe Clapton has sympathy pains???

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2010, 12:44:24 PM »
Good to hear Clapton seems ok now   :)
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2010, 21:32:54 PM »
Glad to hear he's doing so much better Mark  :)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2010, 20:35:07 PM »
They seem to have worked. He is finally wandering around and no sign of a limp and he isn't holding the paw up.  :Luv2:

They will be the death of me  :evillaugh:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2010, 13:25:53 PM »
Sending lots of getter better paw vibes to darling Clapton  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2010, 13:15:25 PM »
 :Luv: aww bless him

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2010, 12:22:26 PM »
He seems fine although I haven't seen him walk much. He spends 99% of his day curled up on a floor cushion under a radiator - the other 1% is spent eating/weeing/pooing  :evillaugh:

He was really happy this morning and was nuzzling me - I lie on the floor next to him and he gives me a wash  :Luv2:
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 12:23:22 PM by Mark »

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2010, 12:12:49 PM »
Poor Clapton, how's he doing today?

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2010, 07:52:25 AM »
One thing I am a bit worried about is calcification that can happen with calcium-based binders like Ipakitin? - the trouble is he won't eat food with Renalzin in. I will try it again but he normally refuses point-blank.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2010, 07:49:58 AM »
Hope he is better, but I wouldnt rule out arthritis - my neighbours cat has just been diagnosed with it, she came downstairs fine, walked across the front room, and then collapsed in pain, no previous limp, and she isn't slow and doddery either, she is only about 11.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 07:47:04 AM »
I think he is OK today - I will have to keep an eye. The weird thing is, my foot has been hurting on & off for the last couple of days for no reason and I have been up most of the night in agony. I struggled downstairs to take some co-codomol (sp) at 3.30am as I was in so much pain. I had them in the drawer from 2 years ago when I had my op. and the hospital gave them to me. I am praying Clapton is OK as I'm not sure if I could drive today and the vet who does visits is at their other branch today  :scared: - He seems fine and is relaxed and purring.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 00:12:57 AM »
Hope it's nothing untoward  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 23:45:43 PM »
He just had some food and put all his weight on both front paws  :Crazy:

Anyway, I will speak to the vet tomorrow unless there is a good improvement.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 22:50:54 PM »
Poor Clapton, hope you soon get it sorted for him  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 22:39:31 PM »
I think you have to be careful with paws cos they can suddenly become very bad...........vet visit is needed I think  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 22:10:13 PM »
That's what I think happened. Poor little boy  :'(

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 21:55:43 PM »
Mark could he have caught his claw on something ?   I know my mums cats that are older than mine have trouble retracting their claws and they get them caught on throws and blankets quite often and that must hurt,  hope Clapton feels better soon  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 21:50:35 PM »
It doesn't strike me as that kind of thing as he isn't slow & doddery. It just seems so sudden. I think he may have pulled a muscle when he got a claw caught.

I have saved him the meat from my pie  :Luv2:

Offline Lottie (Team Svartalfheim's)

• Distinguished Cat
  • GB* Svartalfheim's Sunset Boulevard
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest cats
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 21:42:54 PM »
Could it maybe be a touch of arthritis? Hope the vet can get to the bottom of it. He's such a cute looking boy  :Luv:
Feel free to visit the Team at www.svartalfheim.co.uk

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 21:25:23 PM »
That is another good reason to get the vet to come here  :evillaugh:

Clapton isn't agressive. Even when he had teeth he didn't bite - he just wriggles and he is surprisingly strong - especially for a cat that hardly moves apart from going to the food bowl, water bowl or litter tray  :Crazy: - he does have a stretching technique which he does quite often - probably good gentle exercise for him  :Luv2:

I know it has to be something but don't want to put him through the stress unless I have to - I wouldn't skimp on vet care ever. His wellbeing (which includes stress) is paramount  :Luv2:
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 21:25:56 PM by Mark »

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 21:07:27 PM »
I never had Clapton down as difficult to handle Mark.  Must have overlooked any past reference to that  :-:  or is it maybe that it hurts when you try to examine him?

If it's an ingrown claw I would have thought it would be uncomfortable all the time.  If he's limping on and off, is it worse after he gets up from resting?  Just wondering if he's sprained it?  Billy did that a couple of years back and we had a heck of a job getting him to vet only for vet to say just need to get him to rest (oh yeah, right!)

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 20:49:41 PM »
Well, we both know he won't be holding his paw up for no reason.  Get it checked out  :hug:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Clapton limping and holding paw up
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 20:30:02 PM »
He was doing it on Saturday, but because he was eating well, purring etc. We decided to keep an eye. He was better as the day went on and seemed fine on Sunday morning. We were oiut most of the day and he was after food as soon as we got in. I saw him walking and he was fine. I went to feed him again before I went to bed and he  was holding his paw up again. He has slept most of the day, only coming out for regular feeds (he has always eaten between 4 or 5 pouches a day) he is holding his paw up again tonight. I will phone the vet tomorrow and see if he can come Wednesday. I would happily take him but he goes into major meltdown with a vet trip and will hide for a week, so it is a tough call. We have tried to examine him but he puts up such a fight - I can't see any injury but wondered if he has snagged a claw. It could be that the dew claw is ingrown? - obviously with no teeth, he can't bite the sheaths off.

Link to CatChat