Author Topic: help - Oliver blocked ureath/stretched bladder  (Read 3905 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: help - Oliver blocked ureath/stretched bladder
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 00:39:53 AM »
Poor Oliver and you  :hug: :hug:

Sorry I cant give any advice except he needs continuous care with one vet so all this chopping and changing stops.....sounds like maybe you have that now. The cost however is ridiculous in a week and should be challenged as sounds like someone is ripping you off badly.

Cats do need to eat however or their livers will get damaged and by now the vet should be feeding him.,,,just seen the last bit of your post  ;D

I think you should push the new surgery to give you some real information on his condition, whats going to happen, when, how long, what the problem is exactly etc and if they do not know , tell them to get advice from one of the big animal hospitals so that he can be helped before he gets any worse.

Sending lots of good wishes for you and Oliver  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 21:05:06 PM »
Gosh, he has been through the mill hasnt he?  :hug: Creatinine and urea are often high when there is a bladder infection and after a blockage, hopefully they will both come down once the infection is under control. I'm not surprised he's not eating well really after all he's been through plus the meds (especially antibitoics unfortunately) will supress appetite. Sounds like he's getting his nutrients via the paste which is something. Did they do a scan to see what was going on with his bladder?

Offline Polly

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 20:18:18 PM »

Heres the full story....We have a bit of a problem as there is no night care at our vets, or many of the ones in Nottingham, so he's been spending the days with our regular vets, then the evening at the emergency vets.  They dont seem to agree in their approach, so the night vets seem to change his drugs every time we take him in.

He went in a week ago to the emergency vets with a blockage and they put him on a catheter and a drip and flushed out his bladder.  He was then on a drip and a catheter with diazepan to relax him for a couple of days.  His levels were high, but they stabalized his electrolytes and most of his blood levels except urea and creatine which were reduced, but still high.  Our vet seemed to think that this was ok and they would come down in time, but the night vets seemed to think that this was a problem.

He then pulled out his catheter on the wednesday, so we tried him without it overnight, but the night vets put it back in as they said his bladder was filling and they were worried.  On thursday he was put on a sedative to relax his urethra and the catheter was removed.  He had a bladder infection from the catheter, so they put him on antibiotics and kept him in over night on a drip.  He seemed to be passing urine ok, but the emergency vets didnt think he should have had the catheter removed and were unhappy with the sedatives.  They then gave him different drugs and I think that they said our vet was old fashioned.  He also said that he may have a problem with his bladder where it had stretched so much that he couldnt contract it.

Friday morning he went back to our vets who gave him a sedative that was recommended by new studies and he seemed to be passing urine fine.  They also gave him an anabolic steroid on friday to try and give him some energy.  In the afternoon Oliver pulled out his drip, so the vet said we should take him home, give him a quarter of a tablet of the sedative at midnight along with a drug for cystitous and keep an eye on him.  He kept passing water through the night and we went to see our vet again in the morning.  It was all very positive at this point and he gave us antibiotics for the infection.  We gave him some more of the sedative at luch time, but shortly after he stopped passing a much water and was straining to go into the litter tray.  The vet said that if this happened we should give him some more of the sedative to relax him some more, but we couldnt get him to take it.  It foams up and he kept spitting it out.  We were worried that he was blocked again, so took him to the night vets for their advice.  They said that the sedative was fashionable and they didnt like it because it caused low blood pressure and that wouldnt help his kidneys heal.  So they put him back on different drugs and said they'd watch him.

He went to the toilet a little at 8pm, but they said at midnight that his bladder was starting to get hard.  They couldnt empty his bladder manually, so they said they were worried he was blocked and that he needed a catheter again.  I said that we were trying to avoid the catheter if at all possible because of the damage, but they said that if it was a bladder injury, then this needed the bladder to be empty to heal.  They felt that the bladder was overflowing rather than emptying.

The catheter was easily fitted and so they said that it probably wasnt a blockage, but maybe it was to do with his bladder and refered us to scarsdale surgery in derby where he could stay over night, so we would get a consistency of approach.  The approach of the new place seems to be similar to the emergency vets.  They're saying that he may have a bladder problem, but if we can sort out his kidney function (as his creatine and urea are high - I think it was these two) and his bladder infection then we can look at this.  So he's currently in there 24hr on diazepan and another drug to relax his urethra, antibiotics for his bladder and a drip and catheter.

It's really heart breaking, as when you see him he seems ok.  You asked about food, but he hasnt really eaten much at all.  I think he ate a couple of days in, but since then we've been giving him everything we can think of, but he's not eating it, so he has been given a paste that contains all his vitamins and stuff.  You put this into his mouth with a syringe which he's been eating fine.  We also gave him water with a syringe when he was at home.  He's quite chubby and they say that his blood tests show he has enough nutrients.  I dont know if you can draw any conclusions from this information; appologies for it being a bit woolly and in-precise.  I guess it is more of a description than a case history.  Any opinions would be appreciated.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 17:11:07 PM »
Please any advice would be great. My cat Oliver got really ill on Sunday (I had taken him to the vets a couple of day before with cytistis).
On Sunday he was blocked and we took him to the vets who kept him in.  He started getting better, but  I thought he was blocked again we took him to emergency vets on Sunday and they say he no longer has crystals but may have an overstretched bladder and they need to keep an eye on his kidneys.  The whole thing has cost us £3,500 over the last week and we are running out of money (we stupidly never got round to getting him insured). The vet said it could be on-going but we have very little money left. Any health advice/experience would be greatly appreciated.
We love Oliver so much yet I don't know what to do!!!

Mia

Sounds like an OTT amount to me too   :shocked:

I've had the same with my cat Ben about 6 yrs ago now, and that was an emergency at 3 a.m. and a day's hospitalisation. I can't remember exactly how much the total was, but it was in the hundreds - probably £200-300, nowhere near the amount its cost you.  :hug:

There is no reason for it to be ongoing, with some cats it may recur, but others they just have one episode, like my Ben. Cystitis can be due to a combination of things, stress being a major factor, diet being another. Try a Feliway diffuser for stress. Avoid dry food and try to feed a wet food without any fillers i.e. grains, cereals, soya (usually listed as vegetable protein extract) or veggies. For ongoing problems Cystaid can work really well I understand - its non prescription.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 16:50:26 PM »
I would definately ask for an itemised bill -thats a ridiculous amount - does he think you have won the lottery !!!
I had problems just a few weeks ago - still not sure what it was though - i though Fifi had cystitis as she was in and out the litter taray and hardly doing anything - took her down the next day (Saturday as it started late Friday evening so i rang up and was told to go the next day ).
She had 2 injections and tablets -cost £41 .
She was no better Monday and i took her back and she had 2 more injections and i had to go back again the next day . I took her back and told him she was no better than she was on Friday .
He kept her in 2 days and nights  , flushed her bladder , did blood tests ( also a scan which he did not charge me for as he said it was for his curiousity )and a x-ray , then she did a small wee whilst still there ( if not she was going to have to be opened up to see what was going off - but in the end didn''t have to do that ).
So, 2 injections, 2 days and nights there (she never ate a thing) , blood tests and x ray and antibiotics - £250 (+ £41 Saturday )

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 16:14:14 PM »
My bill for a blocked bladder with 3 days/2 nights in the vets, 1 month of food, additional checkup with a/bs and a urine test a couple of months later was just shy of £800. I could probably add on a further £90-£100 if I had to take him in out of hours. I do not have a cheap vet either .. So that bill is extremly shocking to me.

My boy hasn't had any more problems since his issue Nov '08.

I would seriously be questioning your vet over that bill  :hug:

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 14:33:35 PM »
that is an awful lot - admittedly I haven't had to deal with anything like this for about 10 years but a 11.30 pm saturday night appointment, an overnight stay and ab's spinning samples etc was about £200 in London

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 14:08:42 PM »
It does sound a ridiculous amount of money. Maybe you should ask for an itemised bill and see where the big money is. My vet charges about £100 OOH and an overnight (from memory) is £27 + any meds etc. Unless a cat has been sent for scans or there is major surgery, I just don't see how a bill like that can accumulate in a week.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 14:10:40 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 13:52:24 PM »
that charge sounds way over the top

ironically, had he been insured I bet the insurance company would be querying it

or perhaps vets don't try it on when they know they will be dealing with an insurer and not a caring owner :shify:
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 13:41:00 PM »
We've had blocked bladders in our house too (in fact its 2 years  ago today that Jess was taken so ill with it)

I am shocked it has cost you that much though  :Crazy:

Have the vets given you any reason for Oliver blocking? Was the blockage crystals? Blood?

Blocked bladders usually are ongoing, Jess blocked twice within a week (quite common to get a blockage so soon after the first) and was on urinary food for 7 months.

:hug: :hug: to you

Offline Polly

• Adult Cat
help - Oliver blocked ureath/stretched bladder
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 12:18:32 PM »
Please any advice would be great. My cat Oliver got really ill on Sunday (I had taken him to the vets a couple of day before with cytistis).
On Sunday he was blocked and we took him to the vets who kept him in.  He started getting better, but  I thought he was blocked again we took him to emergency vets on Sunday and they say he no longer has crystals but may have an overstretched bladder and they need to keep an eye on his kidneys.  The whole thing has cost us £3,500 over the last week and we are running out of money (we stupidly never got round to getting him insured). The vet said it could be on-going but we have very little money left. Any health advice/experience would be greatly appreciated.
We love Oliver so much yet I don't know what to do!!!

Mia
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 12:20:25 PM by Polly »

Link to CatChat