Author Topic: weaning kittens  (Read 6505 times)

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
Re: weaning kittens
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2010, 14:53:55 PM »
Oh how lovely lovely lovely .... both Chico and Pepsi    :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:  but swooning over the little fella  :Luv2:
They are lovely,   never have too many photos of Black cats,  I love them,   ermm thinking about it I dont have a black cat ............ :Luv2:

Got to be seen to be fair here, Chico would be a wonderful playmate for Ripley but equally he could camouflage himself very well at Rosellas wonderful home, so ladies start fighting for him  :evillaugh:

I think Ripley would have a right mood on if he wasnt the baby of the family,   but Chico ....   oh I dont know,   must have another kitten ! :shocked:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2010, 09:15:15 AM »
I'd love to take Mum Cat on..... :shy: She's quite obviously been allowed to breed indiscriminately for the six years she's been unspayed, poor little madam. (Probably not practical; dementia cat and lack of finances are a potential issue - doesn't stop me pondering how I could juggle finances. ;))

But the Little Guy does remind me of Jack a bit with his features so whoever is successful in the battle for Chico better keep regular pictures coming.... :Luv:
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 09:16:09 AM by JackSpratt »

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2010, 08:53:18 AM »
Oh how lovely lovely lovely .... both Chico and Pepsi    :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:  but swooning over the little fella  :Luv2:
They are lovely,   never have too many photos of Black cats,  I love them,   ermm thinking about it I dont have a black cat ............ :Luv2:

Got to be seen to be fair here, Chico would be a wonderful playmate for Ripley but equally he could camouflage himself very well at Rosellas wonderful home, so ladies start fighting for him  :evillaugh:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2010, 08:35:58 AM »

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2010, 08:22:55 AM »
They are lovely,   never have too many photos of Black cats,  I love them,   ermm thinking about it I dont have a black cat ............ :Luv2:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2010, 16:29:45 PM »
 :Luv: :Luv:   ;D gorgeous black kitties
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2010, 16:29:31 PM »
Lovely pics! Bless them both- bet they're so glad to be with you. When are the next lot of kittens due?

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2010, 15:42:06 PM »
Yeay, pictures! Thanks Teresa. :) So pleased there's been an improvement in the Little Guy and hope Pepsi is feeling settled.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2010, 15:39:34 PM »
Yes hes 3 months old and size of 7-8 week old.

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2010, 13:24:26 PM »
Oh they are just beautiful   :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: but Chico is so SMALL!!!!  Is he really 3 months old? Glad he's getting better but poor Pepsi, pregnant again........... >:(

Well done to Teresa and Jackspratt for rescuing these little sweethearts!   :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2010, 12:13:48 PM »
They're gorgeous  :Luv2:  The expression on Chico's face in that top picture so reminds me of Korky  :Luv:  Glad his breathing is improving but poor Pepsi being pregnant again.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2010, 10:36:49 AM »
Not brilliant be pics as promised.
Have decided to leave Chico in with his mum for a couple more days.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2010, 09:25:38 AM »
Pepsi and Chico are doing well,both eating well and now doing solid poops. Pleased to report that Chico`s breathing isnt as noisy as it was but it will take time for infection to clear completely.
Both absolutely adorable and very loving; Claire not here this week so will attempt to get pics myself later today trouble is I usually miss the heads off  :rofl:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2010, 22:13:41 PM »
 :P you can't make me....

Am looking forward to pictures when Mum Cat and Little Boy are more settled. :Luv: (And Teresa's up to it, obviously. :))

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2010, 22:12:35 PM »
Just caught up on this -

Well done JS, yes you WILL take some  credit for this  :evillaugh:
.....and T, wonderful as always

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2010, 10:25:55 AM »
Just read through this saga - wanted to say well done, guys. Mama and baby are safe, getting needed care... hopefully the little lad's pneumonia will clear up soon.  :Luv:

The Purrs A Team strikes again!
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2010, 10:04:05 AM »
How're these two doing, Teresa? (Let me know when your typing finger's less tired. ;):hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2010, 12:00:11 PM »
What a surprise, the little man will eat....sheer laziness not helping him to stop feeding from Pepsi. Yep, Chico has a bone rattling cough, hope he's improved soon, and that Pepsis' pregnancy is complication free - poor girl.

In a bit of a rush today, but wanted to check on these two and see how they were getting on. And Teresa, I didn't do the rescuing; I just went in to get the cats. You and Rob are doing all the hard work, and I appreciate it a great deal - especially when I saw these two gorgeous bundles.  ;)

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2010, 11:27:16 AM »
oh bless you T and JS,  wonderful news,   more kittens is a bit sad but on the other hand more kittens for Paws Inn and for me to see when I go up and visit for the day xxx

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2010, 09:11:44 AM »
Hope Pepsi and Chico will be ok now they're with you, Teresa. :hug: Poor mom, tho, more babies and so soon   :(

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2010, 08:41:05 AM »
Both happy and eating well this morning; we put 2 dishes of wet in Pen one kitten and one adult whiskas and suprisingly Chico goes to kitten and Pepsi to adult one, how clever is that, mum is also enjoying Royal Canin kitten food Chico just sniffs that at present but its early days. Both have very smelly loose motions and terrible wind so we are going to give them some prokolin too.  Chico`s chest is terribly noisy, I know JS could hear it over the sound of car engine in a quiet room its unbelievable.

Gill I merely sat in the car , JS did the rescuing.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2010, 07:43:26 AM »
I am glad there is a happy ending to this, lets hope going through another pregnancy so soon isn't too hard on Pepsi.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2010, 23:32:24 PM »
Well done all of you and Teresa you were out in the dar rescuing cats again with a cold!

My goodness you are norty but wonderful  :hug: :hug:

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2010, 20:05:36 PM »
Fantastic news!  :wooooo:
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Lottie (Team Svartalfheim's)

• Distinguished Cat
  • GB* Svartalfheim's Sunset Boulevard
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest cats
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2010, 19:19:57 PM »
I'm glad they are in your safe hands T and pleased the little boy is lapping away immediately, makes you wonder if they ever actually bothered offering him food! Such a shame about the Mum though, poor girl but at least her and her babies will get the best of care with you.
Feel free to visit the Team at www.svartalfheim.co.uk

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2010, 19:06:54 PM »
Glad to hear they're in good care and hope that little Chico is soon well  :)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 19:08:20 PM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2010, 19:02:42 PM »
Ergh, toileting in the cat carrier. Suppose they didn't know they were going on a car journey, though.

Glad Chico is already lapping. It does annoy me that this lady said he wouldn't stop feeding off Pepsi; makes me wonder what option he was given.

And poor Pepsi, more babies. Although she seems a good mum, bless her heart.

If Chico's already lapping it's less of a worry to separate them - and after his illness has cleared up he might get on with another young cat.

Thank you SO much, Teresa. :hug:

Offline zoe (tiggy + pipins mum)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2010, 18:58:05 PM »
So glad they are with you T. I'm sure they will get the best care. You have saved the day again :hug: :hug: xx

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2010, 18:51:58 PM »
Only just sat down after settling Pepsi and son in, both decided to toilet in car so we stopped on route to clean them up.

Been to vet, Chico (kitten) has pneumonia and may have a bit of lung damage but hes had antibiotics and just dived into a bowl of whiskas kitten food and LAPPED and lapped, hopefully he will be alright now he is receiving all he needs but I dread to think of the outcome had JS not got him out of there.

Pepsi the mum cat, well what a little Flusey, am afraid vet has confirmed she is pregnant maybe as much as 6weeks.

Both are in an isolation Pen together until they are more relaxed  then I`m afraid we will have no choice but to seperate them due to Pepsi`s condition.

Modified to add that vet also weighed Chico ,hes just under 900grams.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 19:36:47 PM by Teresa Pawcats »

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2010, 17:35:49 PM »
Poor little mite - well both mum and baby boy are in expert hands now.  :)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2010, 17:09:07 PM »
Very pleased. I had a potential home for the Mum cat, but after PMs between Teresa and myself and under Teresas (very sound) advice I asked the lady to let me take both.

The little boy is soooo small, and a little bit smelly it has to be said. Mum Cat is a stunning black girl......oh, if only I had more money and a bigger house!

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2010, 17:01:14 PM »
That is fantastic news - well done both of you. ;D

:yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy:

So glad a rescue was able to help you and you managed to get the boy as well. From what I have read on this site the poor babies could not be going to a better place.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2010, 16:17:50 PM »
I'm pleased to say that someone with a lot more experience stepped in from the site, and this little girl and her boy (complete with a racking cough, poor lad) are on the way to the quarantine pen at Paws Inn. :)

Thank you, Teresa. I can't express how pleased I am that these two will be cared for by you and found safe, loving homes. They're utter stunners too.  :Luv:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2010, 20:26:15 PM »
That's OK, Edd.  :hug: And will do. :)

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2010, 19:35:06 PM »
Sorry, misunderstood thought you were part of a rescue  :hug:.

Hope all gets sorted - let us know, won't you.

PS
If you have a voucher for the spey - some nice vets will do a pre-check on a lactating queen for nothing - if they are going to do the spey.  Might be worth checking that if you are going to arrange the spey. :)

Edited to add P.S.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 20:06:08 PM by Edd »

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2010, 15:15:52 PM »
I'm not an official rescue, Edd - I think I come under the heading "sucker." ;) I think this might be sorted, hopefully - (for both the kitten and mum  cat.) will let you know as soon as I do.

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2010, 11:27:49 AM »
Don't know if this helps. I am presuming she wants you to take the mum and leave the boy kitten with her. Now something has to change (from what she has told you)for that to happen.

It is very difficult but I would be telling her as a rescue, you have to spey the female before rehoming. So if you find someone to take the mum cat in - then you could suggest to the lady that both the kitten and mum are checked at the vets under the guise of the pre-spey check.  And him being checked out is best for her when mum cat leaves. Would your rescue be prepared to pay for that consult?

I am afraid that I would not trust her to go under her own steam (even if the rescue was paying) and would have a rescue person take them.
If she is agreeable to this, she could accompany the rescue person to the vet  - she might listen to a vet or at least tell the vet the whole story of what is going on. That may get things moving forward.

Also if the mum came into care and she kept the boy kitten, I would be contacting her in a couple of months to get the boy kitten neutered.

Unfortunately some people take rescues for a ride and no matter what help you offer, there is always a reason for not doing it - but I can see you are concerned about these cats.

PS
Also you could play the card "Need to sort something out as in a couple of months the kitten will be developing and there is a danger of in-breeding and deformed kittens if mum gets pregnant by her son."
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 11:34:19 AM by Edd »

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2010, 11:04:31 AM »
Edd, I think you're probably right. How would you deal with the situation? (That might sound confrontational - sorry. I'm just very worried about the poor mother cat.....and also the kitten a little, now I think about it.)

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2010, 10:37:14 AM »
I asked the lady if she could get this girl spayed and she said no because of her lactating - I don't think she's prepared to put up with the disruption of both cats in her house separated.

When my girlie's kittens were weaning, we were on kitten milk and then a mush of coley mixed with kitten milk (with the milk reducing over time).  Don't think she is going to be successful on weaning the kitten if she does not separate.  Seems to have an excuse for every suggestion you make.

So if you find somewhere for the mum to go, what is she going to do about the kitten eating (and also the cough) ?  I would be getting a vet to look at them both, which could be under the guise of a pre-spey check. A vet will be able to say whether she is lactating too heavily for the spey.

Think you may have someone here who is perhaps being economical with the truth.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 10:38:42 AM by Edd »

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2010, 22:15:09 PM »
Spaying voucher has kindly been offered. The issue is that I have nowhere to keep this girl separate; am waiting to hear back from a friend to see if she'll care for this little girl - but it seems that there are other issues to be concerned with if some of the advice I've been given is correct. I asked the lady if she could get this girl spayed and she said no because of her lactating - I don't think she's prepared to put up with the disruption of both cats in her house separated.

Link to CatChat