Author Topic: sore on neck - help please  (Read 1607 times)

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
Re: sore on neck - help please
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 08:38:14 AM »
Scar tissue can develop fairly rapidly especially if this has been an on-going problem for a few weeks. And yes, it can remain hairless. Or the hair may grow back a different colour, or lying in the opposite direction. depends on the nature and extent of the damage to the underlying tissue.

Offline Jennifer_ann

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 08:16:51 AM »
 :Luv: Been back to vets for another injection - vet seems to think that she has damaged the skin to such a point that there is a build up of scar tissue and she may be left with a small bald spot ! - does this sound right, from now on all injections will be given in her little bum and he has also advised me to wait a while b4 I have her chipped - her sister Jaks has been done

Thanks xx
People scare the hell out of me !

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 20:59:14 PM »
Glad she is getting better  ;D

White areas seem to react more, out a of litter being jabbed/chipped the ones with white necks often react more or bleed abit, not all tho, Txika had her chip done at 2nd vac appt and didnt flinch or bleed and shes 95% white  :Luv2:

Fingers crossed shes back to normal very soon  ;D

Offline Jennifer_ann

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 09:54:41 AM »
Well it is getting better ! we have had a steroid injection and are on proto type mark 9 of the anti scratch bootie - she actually seems to like this one ! so fingers crossed  we also have a steroid cream to apply and r back at the vets on Friday. You are so clever - she does have white on her neck where the sore is - how did u know.
Thanks for asking and caring xxx

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 20:22:01 PM »
Hows her sore now?
If she has white on her neck its more likely to react, injection sites can turn like that.
A baby grow can be altered to make a body sock, ideally air is needed to heal but need to stop that itch scratch cycle

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Oliver, Basil, Ben and the late, great Morticia and Buster
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 17:11:12 PM »
A while ago, Ollie had a big sore on the back of his neck which I thought was a reaction to Frontline. One vet said it was a food allergy and gave Ollie a steroid injection to stop the itching and I had to apply cortisone cream to the spot . I wasn't happy with the treatment and took him to another vet who discounted the allergy and was doubtfull about the Frontline too. She continued with the injections every 10 days for a month plus, the cream. Frankly we never did find the cause and it took a good 3 months or more before it really healed, Ollie could scratch, but not lick, the spot. Eventually when it seemed to be under control, she told me to apply Cothivet which comes in a spray bottle and contains essense of lavender, rosemary and other lovely smelly things. This was to help the wound to dry up and heal, which it eventually did and the fur grew back. I have applied Frontline since then with no problems so I may never know what it was.

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 13:16:48 PM »
Maybe hot wash the bedding rather than use any chemicals at all. When my eczema/ contact dematitis flares up the area will be aggravated by chemicals that I am not usually allergic to.
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Jennifer_ann

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 12:56:58 PM »
Hi thanks for the help and advice - checked for fleas but none can be seen and cos she has a white face, neck and belly they would stand out like a sore thumb, plus her sis Jaxs is fine- frontlined in the past and all was ok, last time frontlined 5 weeks ago- will take a photo and post it later.
She can not lick the spot she just scratches it until it bleeds- proto type foam bootie mark 9 actually stayed on last night - yeah. There is not pattern to her scratching I.E. after running about, after eating on waking etc. What about calamine lotion ? although the area is not hot or warm.
Thanks again all xxxxxx

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Lupus, Jack, Fat Andy, Milky,Shenzy, Ollie, Teddy bear, Jemima Spider, Socks, Sam, Merlin, Mouse and Smudge
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 12:14:53 PM »
Do you put Frontline on the back of her neck? If so, she may be having a reaction to that.

my old peanut had a bad reaction to frontline.  had a bald patch the size of a 2p and was very sore
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 12:16:09 PM by Bonkers Mad!!! »
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods;  they have not forgotten this  - Terry Pratchett

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 12:01:48 PM »
presumably she can't lick that area, so you need to find something to remove the itch, which must, by the sounds of it, be tormenting her

there must be some soothing cream for this

Mark, where are you? 
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 11:21:52 AM »
I can't think of any more suggestions that you've considered already I'm afraid, just wanted to say I hope you get this sorted for her  :hug: :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 03:52:02 AM »
When I started reading your post first thought was ringworm, but she's been examined for this. Second thought: flea allergy. The blighters can be around in even the cleanest households. Do you put Frontline on the back of her neck? If so, she may be having a reaction to that.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Jennifer_ann

• Adult Cat
sore on neck - help please
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 00:43:55 AM »
 :(  Hi I wonder if you can help with any advice please - Jill my 7 month foster kitkat has developed a nasty sore on the back of her neck that she keeps scratching and making bleed. She was spayed 3 weeks ago along with her sister Jaks, four days later I noticed a small scab at the back of her neck, she began scratching it and made the hair fall out and the now wound bleed. Took her back to the vets who said it was a reaction to the antibiotic injection after the spay, checked her for ringworm with the lamp thing and all clear. She was given another antibiotic injection in her bum and the wound was treated with steroid cream and then bandaged- she looked like the mummy - poor mite. After 2 hours and 14 mins she had ripped the bandage off.  Bandaged the area again myself, and again every day for a week all to no avail. We are back at the vets on Monday. She just wont stop scratching - even though it is raw. I have tried customising baby socks and hubby made several felt booties again all to no avail- she is better than houdini. I have trimed her back claws and even wash her back feet after she has used the litter tray- to stop any infection. Bless her she is now getting sick of me messing about with her. Jaxs her sister is fine and as they sleep, eat and play together all of the time I figure it cant be anything contagious as surely Jaxs would show signs of this, have even checked myself and hubby. Nothing in her routine has changed I.E. food, environment etc, beding is washed daily using baby baby powder and litter trays changed daily and scooped asap.
Has anyone any ideas or thoughts - thanks xxx

Link to CatChat