Author Topic: Poor Charley was a very sick kitty. UPDATE- He's home!  (Read 1642 times)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Poor Charley was a very sick kitty. UPDATE- He's home!
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 23:16:08 PM »
Glad to hear that things are improving and like you say I'm sure you'll feel more settled once you get him stable  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Sheli_80

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to Henry and Charley
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 23:10:58 PM »
Took his 8pm jab like a trooper, checking every hour until 2am (OH's job as I will go to bed so I can up for his 8am jab) as we are still worried about him and don't want him having a hypo (low blood sugar) both of our mum's are diabetic and we both know how dangerous they can be so its our biggest concern for the moment. Sure once he is stable and on a dose that suits him the worry will die down.

Looking at him now though sprawled out on the bed with his legs in the air it's hard to believe just how sick he has been.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 22:04:58 PM »
So pleased Charley is back home  :hug: :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Sheli_80

• Senior Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 18:36:29 PM »
We got him home an hour ago, the vet spent more than 30 minutes with us discussing his injection shedule, what happens if he has a hypo (low blood sugar) etc and showed me how to inject him. It felt weird doing it and at first I was trying to be too gentle and couldn't break the skin, glad I did it when she was watching though so feel a lot better about giving him his jab tonight. We also have to give him his tablets as well which I am dreading more than the injections as he is a nightmare to pill!

He seems happy to be home, the other cats and treating him like a new cat, lots of bum and face sniffing and Baxer refuses to go anywhere near as he smells like the vet, currently having a nap under the bed.

Back on Thursday for another check up, think this will be regular until we get his blood sugar stable.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Poor Charley was a very sick kitty.
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 15:32:47 PM »
Hope Charley is feeling loads better and that the dibetic symptoms are just a hic  :hug: :hug:

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 08:48:14 AM »
Poor Charley, sounds like you've both had a real ordeal  :hug: :hug:

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 08:36:00 AM »
Hope Charley is ok - good luck to you both
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Sheli_80

• Senior Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 22:08:19 PM »
Thanks everyone, I'm wondering though if it would be best to keep him away from the others when he gets back just for a little while, everyone loves Charley and I'm not sure he will be ready to get clambered over by the wee ones. He also got rather annoyed and very jealous when I said hello to a little hissy growler (I love grumpy cats because they remind me of Henry my bridge babe) despite being fussed over my his daddy the nurse and the vet! But that might have been him saying no more cats mummy them wees ones are enough.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 21:30:33 PM »
Aw poor baby, hope he's much better very soon, and that he's OK with his jabs  :hug: :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 21:08:14 PM »
Poor Charley :care: Glad he seems to have turned the corner and hope that he makes a full recovery in due course  :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 20:09:55 PM »
Poor Charley has really been through it lately, hopefully he is over this bad spell now  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Sheli_80

• Senior Cat
Poor Charley was a very sick kitty. UPDATE- He's home!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 20:04:04 PM »
Had a bit of an ordeal with Charley over the last week, he hadn't been himself since a UTI last month and we orginally thought he was just in a grump with us. We decided to get him checked over on Wednesday night as we noticed he had dropped a bit of weight. Couldn't get an appointment until Friday, but then he was in a pretty bad way. He got kept in and put on a drip and the vet told us he had a lump in his belly. Luckily when we spoke to the vet on Saturday morning it turned out to be compacted poo but the bad news was that he had a bad case of pancreatitis and we weren't 100% sure if he was even going to pull through. I went to see him Saturday night and the wee guy looked awful.

Sunday he started to pull through, he was showing diabetic symptoms and getting 2 hour insulin jabs but hadn't eaten anything since Thursday morning, but he got a 12 hour jab and some potassium and perked slighty but still not up for eating. When we went to see him Sunday he looked much much better, I took a care package of felix AGAIL and some weebox sticks. When I was showing his nurse the weebox I saw a glimpse of the old Charley when his ears perked up a little at his favourite rustling noise and he managed half a weebox stick.

This morning we got the good news that he is off the drip after he managed to eat everything that has been put down to him so far, he looked a whole lot better today, almost back to his old self and I took in his yeoww catnip banana because he loves it and usually sleeps with it between his paws. Hopefully we can get him home tomorrow, we aren't yet sure if his diabetes is permanent or a sympton of his pancreas woes but time will tell.

I am a bit nervous about giving him his daily jab, worried he will end up hating me and read so much stuff of his condition my head is swimming. But at least he is a lot better, he was well enough to guilt me for not talking him home and make a right song and dance about getting back in his bed which of course can only be a sign of him being back to normal.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 18:28:55 PM by Sheli_80 »

Link to CatChat