Author Topic: Is yucca and cranberry good for cats?  (Read 1638 times)

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
Re: Is yucca and cranberry good for cats?
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 11:32:20 AM »
Acana and Orijen both list Cranberry and Arden Grange list Cranberry extract. No Yukka. I stopped feeding JWB after his bladder problems.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 11:03:19 AM »
I just had a delivery from VetUK - one of the items was Wafcol hypoallergenic Salmon & potato (under £10 for 3kg!) in also has cranberry extract but it is 0.015% - neither here nor there I would say  :evillaugh: - maybe they think it is a homeopathic dose  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 11:08:13 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 10:55:18 AM »
I'm pretty sure both ingredients are found in a good number of the 'premium' kibbles.
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 09:40:11 AM »
It's a make I'd never heard of in a new pet shop but it looked pretty good. So is the general consensus a "no" then?

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 08:32:38 AM »
Sounds familiar to me but mine won't touch JWB although I have tried it a few times.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 06:57:45 AM »
Found some biscuits stating it has these ingredients. Are there health benefits?

I'm sure I've bought biscuits with those ingredients and would think that one of the aims is for unrinary tract health.  The details from the James Wellbeloved sounds familiar - maybe those were the ones I bought.  I don't think my cats were that keen though so didn't buy anymore.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 22:53:00 PM »
Yucca is part of the Lily family and cranberries contain benzoic acid - both toxic to cats. I'm sure feeding cat foods containing these ingredients occasionally wouldnt do any harm, but long term? who knows.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 22:20:57 PM »
The active ingredient in Cranberry is mannose-d - it is a steroisomer of glucose (the mirror image of a glucose molecule) it binds to the urinary tract and stops some bacteria from sticking to it and colonising. Cranberry itself is acidic so may not be suitable for all cats.

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 22:12:42 PM »
Cranberry extract is an effective treatment for cystitis in humans as it contains compounds which stop the offending bacteria adhering to the lining of the bladder - they have a similar effect on dental bacteria. I can tell you from personal experience that it does work and there are also studies supporting it's efficacy. I believe some of the compounds are antioxidants (same type as cherries and red wine) so there are indications of anti cancer and cardio-protective properties in humans.

According to James Wellbeloved:
"We add Yucca extract to all our cat products. This is an ingredient that is added as it has a number of potential benefits.  Firstly it is a natural deodoriser and can help to reduce faecal odour, which is of benefit to owners whose cats live entirely indoors or use litter trays.  It is also a source of saponin and is thought to help flush out pathogenic bacteria from the digestive tract and increase the absorption of nutrients."
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 22:15:31 PM by Fire Fox »
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Is yucca and cranberry good for cats?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 17:37:10 PM »
Found some biscuits stating it has these ingredients. Are there health benefits?

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Link to CatChat