Author Topic: Tosker's first vet visit  (Read 2011 times)

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
Re: Tosker's first vet visit
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2010, 12:24:34 PM »
thanks for the advice

I took all three cats in yesterday, so time was a bit tighter than it will be when Tosker goes back in 3 weeks time for his second jab

and that will give me the opportunity to pay more attention to how he eats, and grooms himself, in case there are issues with his mouth I haven't noticed
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 12:16:29 PM »
When I took my Yagga for de-nutting at 6 months they said he had borderline gingevitus (sp), they never treated him and said if it were to get worse bring him back..... Well it never and has cleared up by itself!  ;)

Thats a diiferent type of gingivitits, often kittens can have it whilst getting their adult teeth through.

Simon had his first lot of teeth out when he was about a year old, its young to be doing things but his gums were much better without them there. Im sure over time he will end up with most of them out, sad but they adapt so well  :Luv2:

I believe bad mouths contribute to other health issues, all the toxins/infection there all the time. Mister Magoos bloodwork was actually better after his dentistry than before, speaks volumes i think  :shy:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 02:03:06 AM »
When I took my Yagga for de-nutting at 6 months they said he had borderline gingevitus (sp), they never treated him and said if it were to get worse bring him back..... Well it never and has cleared up by itself!  ;)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 00:20:07 AM »
Sorry.. got hold of the wrong end there, Trigger. I thought Tosker was FIV.  :innocent:

The thing is, Trigger, it's not just a matter of the smell... bad teeth and gums can be horrid for cats. They don't realise what's wrong and often don't notice the gradual deterioration until it gets intense. My biggest wake up call about teeth happened with my Tilly a few years back. Suddenly overnight she began some really strange behaviour... she started walking backwards, was terrified of her surroundings (she behaved like the TV cables were snakes about to eat her) and eventually she refused to walk at all, not even across the kitchen floor to her food bowl.  :scared: :(

You'd think all that was a behavioural issue and the first vet prescribed Feliway. Luckily I went for a second opinion and that's when we found a tooth had snapped off exposing the nerve pulp.  :doh: With every footstep the pain shot through her jaw. She thought the source of the pain was in front of her - hence the walking backward to try to escape from it. The hypersensitivity and fear of her surroundings was caused by increased adrenaline released by her brain to deal with the pain.  :tired:

All that was the start of Tilly's teeth issues. Since then she has had all bar 1 canine taken out. She was tested for Calicivirus but was neg. She did prove to have weak teeth and gums though but we never did find the diagnosis as to why. But ever since that first episode I have watched my cats teeth like a hawk.  :doh:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 23:46:07 PM »
he was tested for FIV before he came here, and was negative - unlikely to be a false neg as he was penned in the rescue for a while before he came here

vet thinks Calicivirus unlikely as although he has nasal problems they are at the back of his sinuses - his nose does not run, and his eyes are completely clear, and have been for 8 months now

the only problem at the moment is bad breath - which I thought came from blocked sinuses -  so it was a bit of a surprise really

I don't think I could consent to his having teeth removed while he is happy and healthy in himself - I am quite willing to pull my collar over my nose when he insists on nuzzling me :sick:
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 23:34:13 PM »
I've never heard of gingivitis clearing up on its own.  :shocked:

Is it his FIV causing the problems or does he also have Calicivirus? Having his teeth out will stop the problems but if he's that young you might want to avoid it for a while.  :innocent:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 22:40:14 PM »
it probably comes and goes a bit depending on the state of his gnashers, some times a clean will solve it

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 22:38:16 PM »
his snuffling and ear problems are probably not due to polyps, but no firm diagnosis

my own observation suggests he is more snuffly when he stays indoors a lot, and I wonder if that is because the air is very dry

he's happy and healthy enough to see how he is in the spring, but if he is worse or no better then he will have X-rays to see what is going on

as for his gums, I think they might have been worse when he drooled a lot, hence asking if gingivitis ever clears up on its own
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 22:33:19 PM »
think you need a second opinion on this, he is very young to need all his teeth out  but doing absolutely nothing doesnt sound right either.....what about his sniffling issues?

agree stay away from steroids unlees something is so bad it indicates this. as he is eating doesnt sound like he has too much problem

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 21:41:35 PM »
Cranberry can be effective for reducing the bacteria in the mouth in humans, apparently it's the same mechanism by which it stops bacteria adhering to the bladder in cystitis. I can personally vouch for the juice being very effective in both cases! I know some pet foods contain cranberry extract so maybe there are supplements you could try?  8)
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 19:49:56 PM »
Avoid steroids trigger, you get stuck in a rut with them and eventually they stop doing anything.
Have a look at dr addies site, shes into stomatitis aswell as fip.

Imo teeth out is normally the best option and most are sorted then, its good 'odds' for a positive outcome

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 19:25:33 PM »
she didn't actually suggest anything - muttered something about having all the teeth extracted later, or steroids, but nothing yet

he has to have a follow up vaccination in three weeks so I can bring it up again

but does it ever clear up on its own?
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 19:19:46 PM »
My instinct would be to get treating it, Trigger.  What reasons did you vet give for witholding treatment at this stage?
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
Tosker's first vet visit
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 18:41:29 PM »
Tosker went to the vet for the first time since he came to me, and turns out he has general gingivitis 

which explains the bad breath - but he doesn't seem troubled by his mouth at all - and his earlier excessive dribbling has stopped

vet says to wait until he does seem to be in difficulties with it, especially as he was FIV negative, but I am now wondering if it ever clears up on its own
Robert A. Heinlein:

Link to CatChat