Author Topic: Isobel has a bald patch  (Read 4504 times)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Isobel has a bald patch
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2010, 06:57:06 AM »
Glad to hear there's improvement  :)
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Guineapiggle

• Kitten
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2010, 00:34:47 AM »
She has been back to the vet today for a check up. She hasn't licked it for nearly a week and it was healing up nicely until the scab got knocked abit but it is still mostly scabbed over just a bit red on one edge. It doesn't look infected and the vet is happy with it so now it just needs to go away.  :thanks: all

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2010, 19:11:21 PM »
Shapewise it doesnt match ringworm profile but knowing how things arent always text book id have a scrape done to cover bases.
You could ask for some fuciderm, most topical things are licked off pretty promptly but its a gel i think is pretty good. Gooey had a similar sore but his was a reaction at the application spot for stronghold, fuciderm helped that clear up nicely.

The pink tabs if synulox are meant to be palatable, if your not having much luck putting them down then crushing into something smelly like tuna may make it easier

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2010, 14:38:04 PM »
Fingers crossed the medication helps her xx

Offline Guineapiggle

• Kitten
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2010, 14:09:12 PM »
The vet said that it would be best just to get her to stop licking it then it will get better. She has some pink antibiotic tablets, to stop it getting infected, which she doesn't like and a cone to put round her head if she keeps licking it but so far she hasn't needed the cone cuz she hasn't been licking it. Hopefully that is cuz it's getting better.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2010, 10:14:38 AM »
That does sound a little like a licking lesion. The size is likely to increase the more Isobel doesn't leave it alone. Definitely not from a cat attack, though.

Let us know how Isobel goes at the vet. :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Guineapiggle

• Kitten
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2010, 22:29:00 PM »
The most puzzling thing is that when I first saw it on Tues there was none of this red. The bald area was a bit smaller and the skin was just a little pinker than normal and not broken anywhere. It's a good job she is off to the vet in the morning. I will mention ringworm, antihistamines and a skin scrape and see what the vet says.

:thanks: Pinkbear (Julie) you have been especially helpful

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2010, 22:19:23 PM »
That looks like a infection to me or at the outside a chemical burn. It really doesn't look like a fight injury to me. It also doesn't look like a 'stress' cleaning injury either as it's in too specific and confined a place. Stress cleaning tends to be more random and usually on both sides and covers a larger area of the flank. Something definitely sparks her need to lick it and it's not just behavioural I feel.

I understand what you say about her licking it. She has certainly aggrevated it, you can tell that. Ringworm is still a possibility as she would have licked off any scabs. Treatment-wise I'd expect to be offered some antihistamines at least. I'd be pushing for a skin scrape as well. That looks nasty!  :(

Hopefully we'll get a few more perspectives and opinions.  :shify:

Offline Guineapiggle

• Kitten
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2010, 22:04:44 PM »
Thanks for all the replies so far. Finally got some pics uploaded

Most of this is caused by her licking it raw poor sweetie.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2010, 21:59:18 PM »
Some species of Ringworm (but not all) will show up under UV light. Some people call the light a 'Woods Lamp' and all vets should have one lurking in the back of a cupboard. A lighting technician would call it a black light. The infected area will glow like white does under a UV light in a nightclub. It can be confirmed by a skin scrape sent to a lab.  ;)

I'd say from what you've now told us you need to mention to your vet that it's highly likely your house has been exposed to Ringworm. I could well be wrong here as still only going on hunches and not much evidence but now you've said that it IS worth a serious consideration.  :innocent:

It's also worth having a good inspection of yourselves (don't forget to look in your hair!) for the tell-tale patches. Ringworm is one of the very few things that can jump from humans to animals and back again. It can be treated but you must follow rigid instructions and it takes many weeks to clear up.  :doh: To give you an idea on how persistant Ringworm can be, it's CP policy that wooden frame cat pens that have been exposed to Ringworm carriers have to be burnt as they must never be used again. It is not possible to sterilise due to the way Ringworm spores burrow down into wood.  :doh:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2010, 21:31:29 PM »
must admit the only time I had a cat with ringworm, my GP diagnosed it indirectly by instantly spotting what had caused a lesion on my shoulder ;D
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Guineapiggle

• Kitten
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2010, 21:25:53 PM »
many various sub-types that don't show up under UV light and a vet could miss it.

I don't think the vet used a UV light on it, it wasn't mentioned when I asked my boyfriends mum what the vet did. Is that the common test for ringworm? What would it show up like under a UV light? How does ringworm present in cats? Would she have had a scab or a particular pattern of marks? Just gonna see if my OH has sorted the pics so I can post them.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2010, 20:44:01 PM »
Ringworm spores can lay dormant, usually in wood based furniture, for up a year.  :doh:

Offline Guineapiggle

• Kitten
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 20:15:27 PM »
I concidered ringworm at first because my sister got a rescue guinea pig from me that developed ringworm a few weeks after she got her. I had been fostering her and she was born at my house so I don't know how she got it but this was several months ago. None of the cats were showing any signs of it at the time and the mum guinea pig never developed it. In guinea pigs ringworm is usually a round scab but I didn't see anything like this on Izzy. This area at first was just pink and bald, no cuts, scratches, scabs, nothing. I have got some photos and my OH is gonna upload them for me in a bit but most of the damage you will see is what she has caused herself through over grooming.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 19:48:05 PM »
Well Trigger...  :sneaky: A city vet might not think of it at first. Ringworm is very much a country/marshy/chalky landscape type thing. Certain areas it rife in, others unknown. Couple that with the many various sub-types that don't show up under UV light and a vet could miss it. It's been known!  :shy: ALL cats going into Bredhurst are routinely screened for Ringworm whereas we have only had one suspected case in our branch history (which turned out to be negative).

But as with everything that comes into my mind, it's something to rule out on the list.  ;)

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 19:19:54 PM »
I'd be appalled if a vet - any vet - missed ringworm :shocked:
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 19:03:29 PM »
She may need some antihistamine or even steroids injections to settle the skin down. It's normal for fur-less skin to become dry and flakey, and maybe even irritated in this cold. But please be careful about potions or lotions on it as anything you do apply will also end up being eaten when she licks the patch. (Aloe is poisonous to cats!) It could just be a vicious cycle thing like a cold sore in humans - skin hurts, cat licks it with sandpaper tongue, wind dries it out, skin hurts more!  :doh:

The reason I asked for a photo is that the shape and exact location of the path might be significant. You're lucky in that we can rule out certain burrowing parasites due to the time of year. You're also unlikely to come across ticks at this time of year, which may have attached but got knocked off leaving teeth embedded in the skin. My next hunch to dismiss is Ringworm. The shape of it will prove me wrong.  ;)

Offline Guineapiggle

• Kitten
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 18:46:39 PM »
Hmm..! :innocent: Nothing too wrong with what he's done - belt and braces shot gun approach again, typical of a lot of vets (and a lot of GPs!). A broad spectrum antibiotic will cover a lot of situations. Cats don't do that without good reason though and I'd want to know why if it were me.  :shy:

Any chance of a piccie of this bald spot?  :sneaky: Plus a few more details - how old is puss? Is she spayed? (hopefully yes!!) What flea product do you use? What kind of area do you live in? Town? Country? (Country cats can be at greater risk of certain infections, parasites and fungus) You never know, one of us may instantly recognise the problem.
He gave her the antibiotic to stop it getting infected. My boyfriends mum took her while I was at work so i couldn't ask things but we are all going to her check up tomorrow. She is spayed, they have all recently had their frontline spot on which is what they always have, we live in a city, she was one in Oct and I will try to get a pic of it.

I had a good look at it today when I got in and there was a bit of dry skin in the fur just next to the bald area but the pain killer doesn't seem to have stopped her licking it for long. It worked for about 12-24 hrs but she had obviously been licking it this afternoon, it was very sore looking and warm to touch but it didn't seem to bother her that I was messing with it.

If she doesn't get any creams from the vet in the morning, is there anything we can put on it like aloe vera or something that will soothe but not be harmful if she licks it.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 22:07:42 PM »
Hmm..! :innocent: Nothing too wrong with what he's done - belt and braces shot gun approach again, typical of a lot of vets (and a lot of GPs!). A broad spectrum antibiotic will cover a lot of situations. Cats don't do that without good reason though and I'd want to know why if it were me.  :shy:

Any chance of a piccie of this bald spot?  :sneaky: Plus a few more details - how old is puss? Is she spayed? (hopefully yes!!) What flea product do you use? What kind of area do you live in? Town? Country? (Country cats can be at greater risk of certain infections, parasites and fungus) You never know, one of us may instantly recognise the problem.

Offline Guineapiggle

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 21:50:59 PM »
Thanks everyone. The vet had no idea what it was but gave her a painkiller to stop it bothering her and an antibiotic so it doesn't get infected cuz she has licked it raw. He said she might have been in a fight but she had no wounds before she licked it too much, it was just pink. If one of her siblings had pulled out a bit of her fur in a scrap could that have started this off?

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 13:02:09 PM »
Has anything changed in Isobels environment? It could be a self caused licking lesion, which is usually down to a cat feel upset or uncomfortable by a new situation. (It could literally be that someone has moved into the area with a cat and Isobel has decided she doesn't like the cat in question....)

Good luck at the vets.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 07:21:23 AM »
Hope its just something minor that can be treated easily!  :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 07:18:54 AM »
 it could be various things so vet check is best idea, do let us know how you get on  :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 23:24:04 PM »
Definately one for the vet and hope its easily sorted when you see hime tomorrow  :hug: :hug:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 22:04:25 PM »
It could be all kinds of things, some dead simple, some medium simple and others a bit more complex from a flea allergy to hormone issues...  but you need to take her to a vet ASAP to rule out issues like Ringworm which will require immediate attention.  ;)

Offline Guineapiggle

• Kitten
Isobel has a bald patch
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 21:22:26 PM »
One of the reasons why I joined this forum was because last night I noticed a bald patch on Isobel just above her right hind leg. It is bigger than a two pence piece and looked quite pink. There are no scabs on it and she is not scratching it but she has been licking it lots, you can see the pattern of where she has licked the fur off. Today it looks a bit bigger and when she came in from the garden it was very red but in 10 mins went back to being just pink. My boyfriend thinks it might have been irritated by the cold because she had not been licking it while she was outside. If it is no better tomorrow we will take her to the vet but does anyone know what it might be?
 :thanks: in advance

Link to CatChat