Author Topic: My poorly boy Monty (Probably cancer)  (Read 2491 times)

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
Re: My poorly boy Monty (Probably cancer)
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2010, 19:31:58 PM »
the way you write about Monty is really touching, Debbie

here's hoping he stays happy and contented to the last, whenever that may be  :hug:
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2010, 18:41:34 PM »
Thanks so much guys, I really appreciate all your kind words. To be honest, I'm strangely OK about it all- I am pleased he entered our lives when he did and he genuinely seems fine and genuinely content so I am glad we have been bale to give him a happy retirement. He doesn't have any meds other than what he has for his CRF at present but the vet did say they could probably give him something if he goes downhill and shows signs of being in pain or anxiety. He is a very difficult cat to tablet as he will filter even the smallest pills out of his food (cheeky monkey!) and gets very distressed at taking anything so we agreed with the vet that we'd keep things to a minimum and only give him what would make him feel better. You're right Mark, they just enjoy the time they have and don't have the same concept of life-length as us, they just know when they're happy.  :hug: He's sitting next to me (well rather lying on  his back legs akimbo!) purring his head off so he's doing just fine.  :Luv2:
We're going to reassess him as we go along and it's just a case of seeing how he gets on. He may keep going for ages or it may be quicker- as long as he's happy, we're happy.
I suppose the only positive thing about him having something visual as a symptom (his lump- we call it his noggin!) means that we are aware he has an issue and so will monitor him closely rather than missing some of the subtle things cats can get with old age. When my family cat (another Monty) passed away of old age, it was only looking at pictures in hindsight that made us realise how poorly he'd been and we felt bad afterwards doing the usual worrying about whether or not we kept him going for too long? etc so at least this way, we're aware of the fact that he may go downhill and can prepare (as much as you ever can) for when that happens.
I think, as I went into our adoption of him with my eyes open, I knew he was elderly and that it could be a long or a short relationship, I think OH is finding it harder to come to terms with. Of course, we'll support each other through it but when Rufus passed, OH stayed strong for me as I was unbelievably devastated where as I think with Monty, he's sort of always been more his cat. From Monty's point of view this is because OH is there purely for cuddles, where as I have always been the meany with the brush and tablets!!! OH has such a bond with Monty because the others have always tended to go more to me and Monty was the first one who had ever preferred him. (It made him feel special I think).
However long we have left, I feel so honored to have such a lovely old gent in my life. Major Monty really is one of a kind.  :Luv:

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2010, 13:45:11 PM »
Have you been given any pred for him?

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2010, 12:29:31 PM »
Sending lots of playing vibes to Monty and hope he has loads of more playing and cuddling time with you   :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 04:34:44 AM »
Bless him!  :Luv2:

Sending out vibes that he will have some good quality time left and long may it continue....  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 21:38:27 PM »
Really sorry to hear that  :hug:

You have been wonderful and he couldnt wish for a more lovely retirement  :Luv2:

Couldn't agree more  :hug:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 20:20:42 PM »
 :hug: :hug:
You have been wonderful and he couldnt wish for a more lovely retirement  :Luv2:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 19:04:37 PM »
I agree Debbie, as long as he is happy, he has had a least a bonus year of being happy and pampered. I took some consolation with Willow when OH said that at least they have no concept of tomorrow or next year - he is happy now and that is all that matters  :hug:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 17:16:59 PM »
Sorry to hear about Monty   :hug: - he's had a lovely year with you though and hope he's got a while longer to be pampered.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 17:09:32 PM »
This is sad, but at the same time, Monty isn't  :hug:  May he continue to enjoy life for a while yet  :hug:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 15:34:50 PM »
Sorry to hear this news - he is such a handsome old boy - just keep enjoying the time you have together and give him all the time and love you can  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 15:23:32 PM »
I am sorry to hear this, but he has a wonderful life with you, and keep enjoying him.
Please spay your cat

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 15:00:36 PM »
Aww poor Monty, but I fully agree with you and your vet, give him all the love and home comforts he deserves, for as long as he's happy and not in any pain.

Bless him, he's certainly landed on his paws with you guys xxx

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 14:37:10 PM »
Poor Monty sending vibes and hugs  :hug: :hug: :hug: hopefully he will still be with you a good while yet, and enjoy every minute you have together

xxxx
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 14:24:08 PM »
Poor Monty  :( we had a similar situation with our Smokey but his lump was on his leg and he was such a fabulous boy.  You enjoy time with with your gorgeous boy, good to hear that he's still having a play with his toys - hopefully he will still be for a good while yet  :hug: :hug:
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 14:24:51 PM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 14:10:05 PM »
Poor Monty and you, its so hard when you know the end is near, and even tho you may have only been together 12 months im sure in that time hes recieved all the love and care he could possibly want and when the time comes i know you will let him go with dignity no matter how hard it is :hug: :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 14:07:50 PM »
I'm sad to hear that  :'( He's such a lovely old boy. I hope he has some happy months to go yet.

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
My poorly boy Monty (Probably cancer)
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 13:12:43 PM »
Well just wanted to get things off my chest really... Monty, our senior lad (aged between 18-20) has been with us a year now, we took him on for end of life care as he has CRF and has had some other age-related problems. He is just the loveliest old gent but for the last 6 months, he's had a couple of lumps on him. It was decided that he was too elderly to safely put him through an anaesthetic to remove them as in fact, the removal would not have any benefits as at his age, we wouldn't put him through being poked and prodded for treatement and it would have been very unlikely that the vet would ahve been happy to do treatement on him at his age anyway. So we have just been monitoring him but the last couple of months he has gone quite downhill sadly. He had a phase of vomitting a while back but this has stopped luckily, he has lost quite a lot of weight so it a bag of bones and his lump on his head has been growing rapidly over the last month or so to the point where it sticks out of his fur and is visable all the time.

After consulting with the vet (several times!), we and him are both of the opinion that while he is happy, we'll keep him going but the vet feels there is probably going to be a time quite soon when we will have to make some tough decisions. He shows no sign of pain and chirps around quite happily but is getting more doddery by the day. The vet feels it is likely to be cancer but did say that many cats get it at the end of thie lives and often people don't realise.

It's very sad and we are going to miss him sooo much when he's gone but I feel happy for him that he's not suffering (we are probably suffering more worrrying about him) and that he's still enjoying life (he's wrestling a catnip mouse as we speak!).

Link to CatChat