Author Topic: Less active cats...less food?  (Read 2091 times)

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
Re: Less active cats...less food?
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 09:49:44 AM »
I do feed them only twice a day, in the morning and on the night. I only fill up the biscuit bowl if Harry, Ted , Ollie or Lyla are there, not for Macey or Tia but they have a way of headbutting the others out of the way- Macey I will move after a couple of mouthfulls.

Im thinking with the cold weather thats why they have been less active- they dont get to have a mad run about the garden, hopefully once it starts to warm up they will start to loose some weight  :)
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 12:58:29 PM »
My two are indoor cats I stopped the free feeding after a year. Now the get a Breakfast, DInner (Both Wet) and a small amount of dry food at 9pm for supper.
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 12:26:30 PM »
I agree with MM, stop the free feeding and feed regular mealtimes of wet - if Harry will only eat dry, he can have his portions of dry at the same mealtimes when the others are having wet.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 20:43:20 PM »
I have similar problems - Trigger is too lean, and Tiffany is too fat, but she will only eat dry, and he is very sporadic in his eating of dry, although he has to have some as he will not eat enough wet to sustain him

so I measure out 2 and a half portions of dry each night, and now with Tosker here, who is also a mainly dry eater, and not greedy, I think they mostly get a reasonable amount each

because Tosker tucks in when I first put it down, Tiffany doesn't have as much available to her when it was just her and Trigger, as he often doesn't bother with it until early morning, and she is I think losing a little of her excess weight

and Trigger has I think put a little on, as he is learning if he leaves his dry grazing until morning there will be nothing left

the one rule I always stick to is that anything left in the morning goes out for the birds, and no more is put out until around 10pm
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 20:05:15 PM »
Certainly for the less active ones they need less dry! The only way really is to have structured meal times and stop the free feeding, that way you can give each individual what they need.
It can be a bind but when you have a large fur family it tends to affect your life anyway  :evillaugh:
If i free fed my lot taz would have constant diarrhoea and lola/tabitha would be like rugby balls  :scared:

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 14:00:05 PM »
Sorry very long post  :shy:

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
Less active cats...less food?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 13:59:34 PM »
As most will know all of my cats are indoor, except Harry, all they have is a wander around the garden now and then- so not much excersise at all. I have started to put less food out 8 pouches a day to their usual 12 a day. The reason for this is they are starting to eat more biscuits, they go through nearly 3kg a fortnight- obviously I have to watch what I put out if Macey and Tia are about, they will gorb them all!!

So with the cats choosing to eat more dry should I just go with that and put less wet out, Or should I try to encourage them to eat more wet and put less dry out? I dont know?

The reason for me having to put dry out all the time is Harry hardly eats wet, he has a few mouthfulls then waits for his dry food. Now the rest of them are turning to dry food more and its not just for Harry so Im having to fill up the bowl about 4 times a day- its only a small dish and never gets filled to the top unless its bedtime and I know Harry hasn't eaten.

So what I think Im asking is how do I sort the food out for my lot- the active ones and the less active ones, do I allow them to eat what they choose to eat because thats what they want? although they are choosing to eat mainly dry.

How much do you feed your active/less active cats?  This is hard to do in a multicat household but I need to sort something out so that everyone is getting the right balance and not eating too much or too less.

Tia and Macey are not really allowed to eat the dry but they have a sneakey way of getting it by pushing their way through so the other cats move  :sneaky:  These 2 also need to cut their weight down but how do I lessen their food and still make sure my others are getting enough?

Ollie also needs to be fed 3 times a day and when foods about, most of the others are there.

Link to CatChat