Author Topic: Ollie needs to loose weight - Any Ideas on Food  (Read 1666 times)

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
Re: Ollie needs to loose weight - Any Ideas on Food
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2010, 20:51:39 PM »
Yeah it is quite a lot and he has always been a hungry cat but even more so now with the meds. Will be getting him weighed regularly to ensure it not happening to quick.

He was not wating to much when he went on meds at first so reckon it was then when his weight dropped, vet says he quite a big built cat so he really only needs to loose a we bit more and then try keep him same weight
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 20:10:11 PM »
Its good hes lost but you dont want to continue dropping that quickly, 600g since november is quite a lot to me.
Is the increased appetite possibly a side effect from his meds?

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 08:18:03 AM »
I was really shocked as i did not think he lost any weight. Just shows what reducing the food just a bit can do

I really thought he was just same weight thats why i thought i needed to do something more

Well pleased though but dont think Ollie is. He constantly asking for more food but thats nothin new. He would eat all day given half the chance

Ollie says  :innocent:
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 23:59:54 PM »
 :wow: Looks like it should be you handing out weight management tips not asking for them!
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 20:32:21 PM »
That's really good news  :) good luck with the bloods  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 19:34:37 PM »
Good news on Ollies weight the vet weighed him today he was 6.6kg in November when in hospital and he is now 6.0Kg. He got his blooed tests and if all ok after them his medicine will be getting reduces bit by bit every month til we get a suitable lever thats good for him and ensure it prevents the fits. If the fits start again the meds will go up again. But will do what needs done to ensure his quality of life does not suffer

:) :)
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 00:45:19 AM »
Probably a big part of the issue is being indoor - an entire tom left to his own devices would roam miles in search of totty and defending his territory, and no doubt get into scraps on the way. I know when I am calculating calorie intake for humans, you take the BMR (calories needed for survival) and multiply by the activity level, roughly double for someone with an active job or who keeps fit. :shocked:

That's not meant as a criticism as I am in the same position, Noah has no waist!  :hug: Obviously you are doing right for your boys' health by neutering and keeping them safe indoors, but it might mean that we are overfeeding slightly for the level of activity they are doing?
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 20:17:09 PM »
Just now they get a pouch between them in the morning and one between them at 6pm then about 30g of dry food at 9pm so does not seem a lot. he does not seem like a fat cat but he is 6.6kg is it possible he is just a big cat

Dont think they seem really as if they getting to much food

Yip Gill your right about his meds. Hopefully on Friday the Vet will reduce his doseage slightly to see how he goes. Tonight he fell off the kitchen worktop and landed on his back, I was scared he hurt himself but thankfully he was ok. He seemed slightly dazed before hand and has been tonight so i am not sure how he will be on reduces meds some days he seems great and others he quite dazed.
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 00:12:24 AM »
You could work on slowing down eating - raw skinless chicken wings are good to replace the occasional meal, something like the SlimCat feeding ball for kibble, even a puppy Kong if you ever feed pate type foods.
Lulu's Catbook

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 22:22:51 PM »
I'd start by weighing the dry food - if it is roughly half his daily ration, then you could reduce it by a third, say

if Tyler is unlikely to pinch more than her share,  you are in a position to know reasonably accurately what he's had
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 21:06:26 PM »
Normal dosage is about two pouches a day and a handful of biscuits I reckon.......how much does he have normally?

You dont want to reduce anything in large amounts because that will upset his meds which are based on his weight I think and also you dont want to upset him either.

He may be eating more cos of the cold.

Reductions in food need to be done very gradually

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
Ollie needs to loose weight - Any Ideas on Food
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 19:27:15 PM »
My we bundle of fur is getting bigger. Currently 6.6kg which is a bit on the tubby side, Ollie and Tyler are both Indoor cats. Ollie plays with his toys a lot and is like a little sheep dog he follows me about everywhere Tyler is lazy and does not really eat that much so she is ok. Ollie likes his grub

I need to try and reduce his weight, He currently eats Natures Menu pouches and for dinner he has some Hills Indoor dry cat food

Any ideas on food types and quantities that i should give him to try and get hin to loose a bit weight, he does not really look fat he just seems big boned but he does really need to loose a bit

Any ideas on types of food and quantities would be greatly appreciated

Zoe & Ollie
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Link to CatChat