Author Topic: how to make sure kittens come back home when let out?  (Read 3496 times)

Offline paddypaws

• Adult Cat
Re: how to make sure kittens come back home when let out?
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2010, 19:54:06 PM »
Bringing in the Sheaves! That is so funny.
This particular cat was really not a lap cat and never volunteered for a cuddle...until  one night the theme tune for 'Citizen Smith' was on tv ( showing my age, it was in the 70's ) It was a whistled tune....Toby came running and jumped up on my lap which he NEVER did. After that we used an abbreviated version to call him in at night and he would come galloping from several gardens away! They are funny creatures hey?  :rofl:

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2010, 14:58:17 PM »
Re the whistling- my sister had a cat who would always come home if you whistled 'Bringing in the Sheaves'. Never failed, though the neighbours must have thought she was barking!

Offline woodlandcats

• Hero Cat
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2010, 18:31:17 PM »
I never understood the buttering of paws idea either...then I read somewhere that when they lick the butter off it means they stimulate the scent glands and thus leave a clearer trail home...makes sense now huh?
We had a cat years ago that came in response to a special whistle....whistles travel further than just shouting. Perhaps start now giving a little whistle as you put food or treats down, over time they should learn it is something worthwhile coming home for.

The whistle is a great idea!
It works for my lab, so should work for the cats too
Every life should have 9 cats

Offline golden eagle

• Adult Cat
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2010, 17:32:59 PM »
I never understood the buttering of paws idea either...then I read somewhere that when they lick the butter off it means they stimulate the scent glands and thus leave a clearer trail home...makes sense now huh?
We had a cat years ago that came in response to a special whistle....whistles travel further than just shouting. Perhaps start now giving a little whistle as you put food or treats down, over time they should learn it is something worthwhile coming home for.

oh, I like the whistle idea. thanks

Offline paddypaws

• Adult Cat
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2010, 17:30:53 PM »

Offline golden eagle

• Adult Cat
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2010, 15:26:08 PM »
Great advice.  :thanks: guys.

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2010, 21:28:50 PM »
the sound of the Da bird actually brings mine back if theyre a few gardens away!

try getting them to associate nice things with a particular sound ( a favourite treat with a rattled tin or word) i also noticed mine shout mamamoooow  at me when theyre on the way back and im calling so i started making that noise to call them in (it works but the neighbours must think im  :Crazy: )

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2010, 21:13:39 PM »
I would advise the first time doing it on a Saturday morning when you can actaully go out with them.  Also let them explore in their own time  and at their own pace that way they will familiarise themselves with the smells and "landmarks" in their garden.  Don't be tempted to pick them up and carry them round to show them the garden as they will miiss all the smells etc and won't be able to find their way home.

When I let me lot out for the first time I also left the backdoor open so they could run in and out without hassel.

Even now they are 8 years old when they go out I always call them back every 30 mins or so.  It doesn't do them any harm to come back when called.  It means they stay close to home and it's a good habit to get into to actually make them come right into the house so you can close the door behind them. 
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Mel (AilsaDS)

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2010, 19:03:31 PM »
I was lucky with mine as they stayed close by me in the back garden the 1st few times I let them out (yes I went out with them, lol).
I also made sure they went out about an hour before breakfast so they were hungry but had plenty of time to explore & have fun before I brought them back in - even though it meant I was getting up @ 5.30/6am  :tired:

After a few times of this I started letting them out after breakfast too on their own & now they love nothing more than charging around all morning  :Luv:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2010, 15:27:17 PM »
Good luck at the vets with them!  :Luv2: :Luv2: :hug:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2010, 11:40:33 AM »
Buttering paws is an old wives tale.  :evillaugh:

Apart from making sure they are hungry, do it early in the morning. That way if anything goes wrong you have plenty of daylight to find them.  ;) Some cats take to using a harness, others goe crazy and go mad trying to escape from it.... so it depends on whether yours takes to it.  ;)

Offline golden eagle

• Adult Cat
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2010, 10:43:31 AM »
I will do. Will keep them in till April/May (unless March is warm). Just want to be ready when the day comes  :)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2010, 10:40:40 AM »
you'll need to wait for the wounds to heal, personally i'd leave it until better weather

Offline golden eagle

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2010, 10:33:19 AM »
So when I do eventually let them out are there any tips as to what I could be doing to ensure they find their way back home? I know about letting them out hungry but I've also heard about buttering their paws  :Crazy:? This must be an old wives tale but any other advice?

PS. They are at the vets now. Poor little things.  :'(

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2010, 21:23:02 PM »
God luck with the ops .... I'm sure they will be fine  :hug:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2010, 19:25:33 PM »
Good luck for their ops  :luck:
By waiting til spring you are making it safer for them, if they got lost in this kind of weather they may not be lucky enough to survive, better weather with bigger bodies gives them more of a chance. Its abit like letting toddlers out on their own, highly likely to get into trouble  :scared:

Offline golden eagle

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2010, 17:48:57 PM »
ok, booked the vet for tomorrow morning. Feeling sorry for them already (especially my little girl). But at least I will be at home for the next few days to look after her. I hope they will forgive me eventually  :innocent:. They seem to be almost used to the color since only yesterday and they hated it to start with. Seems like it's only trauma in store for them this week.  :hug:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 13:29:59 PM »
Our fab 4 won't be out till next may when they will be 11 months old - we start with supervised jaunts and then work up to a day out if either parent is off - fortunately this 4 are so food orientated it shouldn't be to hard - they also all answer to the Oodie Doodies and come as a pack when called - they also know their own names! :rofl:

We are also lucky in having adults who will show them the ropes!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline woodlandcats

• Hero Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 11:35:54 AM »
Mine will be 8 months soon and just got neutered Monday.
They have not been outside yet, it will be Feb/March I guess before I let them.

Since a few years I train my cats with (goats) milk. Whenever I go out yelling "milk milk milk", they appear from whereever they were. Also very effective for cats that go in the basement where they should not be, or upstairs.
I must say, I start this training from the day they arrive, it's really handy.
Every life should have 9 cats

Offline golden eagle

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 07:39:14 AM »
After reading your post, Fussy Furball, I am resolved not to let them out until they are older and done. Will try to get them done this week but this weather is proving very challenging. Can't go out in the car because of the snow and not sure how they will handle a journey on the bus after the surgery. Will speak to the vet about it this morning.

:thanks: again to all of you. I would be devastated if I lost either of them due to my own stupidity. :(

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 23:35:00 PM »
but given that all of you are in agreement I'll keep them in till the spring.

It'll be hard and they will try to win you over but it is best really......a few months older can make all the difference

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 22:19:35 PM »
So true Julie ... my friemd let her little lad out before he was done .... against my advice ... "he only goes out for 15 mins at a time and always comes when I call him" she said.  Needless to say one time he didn't come when called .... so she left it another 15 mins .... then another ... then another before realising he was missing!!!!!!   He never was found and she was completely heartbroken. :(

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 22:08:43 PM »
Good decision to keep them in. A very high proportion of the 'strays' we pick up are young unneutered cats who are are given a little bit of freedom, pick up a scent then wander off and get lost... of course they are never chipped (or extremely rarely!) and no way to trace owners. If they are lucky we pick them up within a few weeks when a kindly person spots they are in trouble, if not they can be raiding bins for months before someone comes to their aid. For the worst cases we do pick up older, battered toms who have lived their whole lives 'on the road' and have turned more or less feral but we know someone must have loved them once. It's a miracle if they aren't FIV+  :(

It's never, ever worth taking a risk when hormones are involved. They can travel for miles and miles after a slice of totty.  :innocent:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 21:59:36 PM »
Cat flaps are a godsend! Mine are in a catproofed garden so have 24/7 access....I would not be able to count the ammount of leg work the flap has saved me!  :innocent:

Just seen they will be 6 month old next week!  :shy: Are they booked in for the chop yet?  :hug:
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 22:07:16 PM by Bazsmum »

Offline golden eagle

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 21:55:49 PM »
Ok guys.  :thanks:

My gut feeling was that I should wait but they (especially the boy) are so keen I thought I might give it a go. They don't respond to their names yet but definitely respond to the rattle of the tin with treats  :shify:. but given that all of you are in agreement I'll keep them in till the spring.

BTW we had a cat flap installed and they were quick today to work it out. So proud of them  :Luv2:. They'll be allowed to come in and go out during the day as they please when they are allowed out.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 21:45:13 PM »
Just a quickie, agree with the harnesses and defo dont let out before neuter!  ;)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 21:28:22 PM »
You'll probably find that in this cold weather we're all having that after the initial excitement they won't want to go out! I agree with the others and wouldn't risk it until they're neutered as the hormones will be too strong and they could wander off in search of a mate. If you leave it until they're done they'll also be microchipped by then so that's an extra layer of security.

Do they respond to their names or the rattle of the treat tub?

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 21:21:13 PM »
I echo what the others have said - if you want to give them a taste of the great outdoors try harnesses , but I wouldn't let them out on their own before they have been neutered.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 21:14:03 PM »
I  agree with Michelle.  Even if you only let them out for a few minutes if they are un-neutered there is a chance they will be be away (hormones are a very strong driving forced!!!).  Personally I would keep them in until the spring and then start to let them out .. supervised to begin with for short periods of time.  By the spring time they will be a bit more calm and less inclinded to rush about and get lost ... they will also no their names by then and will hopefully come back when you call them.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 21:07:30 PM »
Hi,

I personally wouldn't let them out un-neutered....I'd also probably try and keep them in till they were abit older but thats just Me

When you start work are they going to be outdoors all day till you come home then ?

Have you sorted the problem with the stray in your garden and the pond ?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 21:10:43 PM by furbabystar (Michelle) »

Offline golden eagle

• Adult Cat
how to make sure kittens come back home when let out?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 20:35:59 PM »
I am thinking of starting to let my kittens out. Had a trial run today and they loved it but after a little while I got scared thinking they wouldn't find their way back in the snow and brought them back in. Am I being over-protective? They will be 6m old nxt week. I was going to have them both done this week but cant' because of the weather. We are snowed in.  :Crazy:

They will be microchipped when they are done but in the meantime I put a color on them today (which they hate). I have heard that cats when going out for the first time should be let out only when they are hungry but is there anything else I could do to encourage them to find their way back home? I am so worried they will get lost in the woods (we live in a semirural area). I know the weather is not the best to let them out but I am about to start a new job in 2wks time and I will be out all day till late so would like them to be able to go outside if possible before I start my new job.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Link to CatChat