Author Topic: Sniffles  (Read 1678 times)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Sniffles
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 20:57:50 PM »
 ;D that's good news
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline weesilvie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 20:23:38 PM »
Well I finally made it to the vets through the snow on Saturday!  I asked the nurse about the sniffles.  She said that as long as it didn't go on for another week, then she was probably fine.  Thankfully Silvie is sneezing much less now so I'm happy.  The vet nurse certainly put my mind at rest as well.
So alls well that ends well!

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 15:31:44 PM »

I have been doing a bit of internet rifling and it seems that if a cat is a flu carrier, particularly the herpes virus, then they can 'shed' the virus, or have recurrences of symptoms, at times of stress or if they are immunosuppressed.  Immunosuppression can include if they've had corticosteroids.  Silvie had a steroid jag for her skin thing almost a fortnight ago.  I haven't kept the invoice so don't know which drug it was Silvie had to look up the possible side effects, but I do need to go to the vets tomorrow to collect some more arthritis drugs for her so will try and have a chat with the vet or the nurse about it then.

That's right, our Smokey was a carrier and he used to get really sneezy at certain times eg when stressed, I think it's a good idea to just mention it to your vet though tomorrow  :hug:

Offline weesilvie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 09:40:47 AM »
Thanks Janey, nice to have some reassurance.  I can get a bit paranoid about my animals' health and wellbeing - sometimes it can be a bit of a tough one weighing up the potential benefits of a vet visit against the stress it causes them, me - and my bank balance!

I have been doing a bit of internet rifling and it seems that if a cat is a flu carrier, particularly the herpes virus, then they can 'shed' the virus, or have recurrences of symptoms, at times of stress or if they are immunosuppressed.  Immunosuppression can include if they've had corticosteroids.  Silvie had a steroid jag for her skin thing almost a fortnight ago.  I haven't kept the invoice so don't know which drug it was Silvie had to look up the possible side effects, but I do need to go to the vets tomorrow to collect some more arthritis drugs for her so will try and have a chat with the vet or the nurse about it then.

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 15:02:23 PM »
I would be inclined to agree, I'd just see how she is over the next day or so if she continues or gets worse then I'd let the vet check her over  :hug:

Offline weesilvie

• Adult Cat
Sniffles
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 11:27:40 AM »
Silvie seems to have a touch of the sniffles - just wondering if you think a vet visit is worthwhile or if anyone has experienced something similar.

She doesn't have a snoitty nose or gunky eyes - every now and then she just seems to be trying to sneeze something out which isn't there.  This happens quite a few times each day.  I've noticed over the past two or three days.  She doesn't seem to be off colour at all, I haven't introduced anything new such as air fresheners to the house - the only thing is that I have had to use Indorex household flea spray as she has a possible skin allergy.  I have, however, been really careful to keep her away from treated areas and air them for as long as possible so the stuff has dried in before she's anywhere near it.  Another thing is that she has had a good dose of flu in the past - about 2-3 years ago, from which she recovered well and she's not had any recurrences before now.

My inclination is to leave it for a few days and see what happens.  Like most cats she's not keen on vet visits and we were only there just before Christmas for the skin thing!  But worry not, if it seems necessary, I won't hesitate to take her in again.

Any thoughts?

Link to CatChat