Author Topic: Suspected bengal cross kitten causing a riot, advice needed!!  (Read 11122 times)

Offline miafey

• Adult Cat
Re: Suspected bengal cross kitten causing a riot, advice needed!!
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2010, 16:18:34 PM »
I've only just caught up with this too, what a sad situation although good outcome for Cookie now  :hug: not sure how long they've had the new cat, sounds a bit worrying though, could it be the move, new environment etc causing the upset tum?

They've had him for 3 weeks. At the moment there is no other sign of sickness apart from the upset tum so I hope it's nothing serious

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2010, 13:14:23 PM »
I've only just caught up with this too, what a sad situation although good outcome for Cookie now  :hug: not sure how long they've had the new cat, sounds a bit worrying though, could it be the move, new environment etc causing the upset tum?

Offline miafey

• Adult Cat
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2010, 11:20:28 AM »
So she settled well after the week trial? Excellent news. :)

I hope the little boy is OK too.

Yes cookie passed the trial and now lives happily with her new family!!

The boy's got several soft faeces and twice with some blood. Maybe just need a deworm.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2010, 11:14:26 AM »
So she settled well after the week trial? Excellent news. :)

I hope the little boy is OK too.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline miafey

• Adult Cat
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2010, 23:09:19 PM »
Thanks so much everyone!!

Cookie is very well in her new home and that's a BIG relief. I was so worried about her settling down there because she went there alone without any of her toy/food bow/bed, etc. The family texted back on the next day said they couldn't handle her. After negotiation they agreed to give her a week's time and if it doesn't work out they would send her back.

And in the following week or so they said cookie was alright but refused to send back a photo of her. I got very nervous about that as the weather was very bad in the week and if they didn't really bother to travel and send cookie back I though they might just dump cookie.

It turned out that they are really decent and trust-worthy person and I apologise for thinking bad of them! They sent back photo of cookie sitting on their laps. How nice it is!! Cookie finally gets her life back!

Thinking about that I'm really thankful to the previous owner of my cat Florrie. They adopted Florrie about 2 years ago but had to send her back to the rescue due to the change of their circumstance. But when I got Florrie from them they gave me everything for Florrie, her bed/her food/her litter tray/her collar (and a spare one)/her snack....and even a can of tuna - her favorite food. They must have loved her so much.

The bad news is I already started hearing of some healthy issues of their new exotic boy. I have no idea how serious it is as I'm certainly not an expert. But I do hope they go and see a vet asap as the cat is still covered by the 4 weeks insurance provided by the breeder.....

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2010, 21:54:01 PM »
I'm so sorry, miafey. It's disappointing when people don't give an animal the chance it deserves to be a part of their family. (I'm not even "officially" in rescue but as Julie says it's all too common, sadly.)

I can't imagine why Cookies new home would lie that she's behaving herself, but if you feel the need to ask if you can stay in touch and tell them you'd happily help if they have any problems with her. ;)

I believe that cookie is quite behaved in her new home. That's what made me feel even more sorry for her. Because that means cookie is not so bad that she must be given away. I feel that I was fooled. I tried so hard to help them on cookie's behavior problems as I thought that was the reason they always complained. But now I think it wasn't. It was them fed up with a naughty moogie and just wanted a pedigree.

Looking back to what I've done for them I felt I was an idiot!

I've only just seen this thread.  Miafey you are NOT an idiot ... you ar a caring person who obviusly cared more for this little kitten than your "friend".  I'm so pleased that Cookie has gone to a new home and to a family that obviously want her.  It's also good that she has gone to a home with another cat as this will teach her good manners and how to play nicely without biting and scratching.  :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline KrazyKatLady

• Adult Cat
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2010, 21:34:42 PM »
bless, she was def very bengal looking. they shoulda gone for a persian, the one i just got is a mix and she is sooooo laid back. but kits are like kids they have to be occupied, maybe they should have rescued an older calmer cat.
Cat Mom to Aussie & Kiwi, and non furry child Caleb.

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2010, 12:27:40 PM »
Poor Cookie  :'(

At least now she is loved and "Wanted" - how anyone can 'Give' their cat away is beyond me  >:(    -  horrid evil  :censored:  shame on them.

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2010, 11:54:08 AM »
Not an idiotic - caring. You care about Cookie and her welfare and wanted her to be happy in her home. She is now, just not in the home she had.  ;)

I think you're probably right - they wanted a "pedigree." (I've put that in inverted commas because unless they went to a reputable breeder and the cat has papers it isn't classed as a purebreed anyway.)

Offline miafey

• Adult Cat
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2010, 11:07:06 AM »
I'm so sorry, miafey. It's disappointing when people don't give an animal the chance it deserves to be a part of their family. (I'm not even "officially" in rescue but as Julie says it's all too common, sadly.)

I can't imagine why Cookies new home would lie that she's behaving herself, but if you feel the need to ask if you can stay in touch and tell them you'd happily help if they have any problems with her. ;)

I believe that cookie is quite behaved in her new home. That's what made me feel even more sorry for her. Because that means cookie is not so bad that she must be given away. I feel that I was fooled. I tried so hard to help them on cookie's behavior problems as I thought that was the reason they always complained. But now I think it wasn't. It was them fed up with a naughty moogie and just wanted a pedigree.

Looking back to what I've done for them I felt I was an idiot!

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2010, 10:54:04 AM »

I can't imagine why Cookies new home would lie that she's behaving herself; but if you feel the need to, ask if you can stay in touch and tell them you'd happily help if they have any problems with her. ;)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 11:52:31 AM by JackSpratt »

Offline miafey

• Adult Cat
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2010, 23:53:46 PM »
Personally don't think I would be able to cope bengal either.....

But they only paid 30 quids for cookie... not even a price for bengal cross? But she's from a very nasty place too as I mentioned earlier with flea and cat flu. The owner of her mum might not even notice that his cat had affair with a bengal/X.

Yet the new owner has provided feedback that cookie is OK with them, still indoor but didn't cause them any problem. Unless they're lying, I would think maybe I'm wrong from the very start. It's not cookie's problem at all. It's just them got tired with a lively young kitten and wanted a quieter lap cat hence the exotic.

Welcome to my world, Miafey!  :rofl:

I'm sorry but it's a familiar story. BSBs knocking out 'fake' pedigrees to schmucks.  >:( I'm noticing more and more Bengal types ending up in rescue so we know it is on the rise. People buy them because of their stunning looks and find they can't cope with their demanding nature. We know that some Bengals haven't inherited those traits and can be quite placid just like a domestic, but very many are much nearer to their wild cousins and you don't know which you've got until you open up the box and find out. It's like having a 2 year old continually pulling at your apron strings wanting this that and the other NOW. Not a breed of cat I could cope with.  :doh: If they'd done their research they would have known that. If they'd have gone to a responsible breeder they would have been monitored and councilled during the settling in period and Cookie could have gone back to the breeder if all else failed.  :shy:

Fingers crossed for this new boy. But not a happy situation.  :( :hug: :hug:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2010, 23:40:28 PM »
Welcome to my world, Miafey!  :rofl:

I'm sorry but it's a familiar story. BSBs knocking out 'fake' pedigrees to schmucks.  >:( I'm noticing more and more Bengal types ending up in rescue so we know it is on the rise. People buy them because of their stunning looks and find they can't cope with their demanding nature. We know that some Bengals haven't inherited those traits and can be quite placid just like a domestic, but very many are much nearer to their wild cousins and you don't know which you've got until you open up the box and find out. It's like having a 2 year old continually pulling at your apron strings wanting this that and the other NOW. Not a breed of cat I could cope with.  :doh: If they'd done their research they would have known that. If they'd have gone to a responsible breeder they would have been monitored and councilled during the settling in period and Cookie could have gone back to the breeder if all else failed.  :shy:

Fingers crossed for this new boy. But not a happy situation.  :( :hug: :hug:

Offline miafey

• Adult Cat
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2010, 23:14:54 PM »
I know the breeder was a bit BSB. I knew that because the breeder said she had never spayed/neutered any of her cat and told them not in any rush to neuter their new exotic boy who's already 8 months old. Not something a sensible breeder would ever say.

Funny enough they insisted that if cookie was in any pyhsical health condition they would not give her away at all. That was the behavior problem which they thought was impossible to change.

Nevertheless i've had enough from them. The emotional part of me is shouting "you think you'll have peace by getting rid of cookie? NEVER!" but the other part is saying "please not anything happens to the new exotic boy, otherwise he's soon be abandoned and forgotten just like cookie".

And I know they're already looking into getting another BSH in several months time.

To be honest if I have known they would do that I would have cookie, at least temporarily before I can contact the local charity I got my cat from and ask them to find a good home for cookie. At least they'll do home check, get cookie spayed and make sure everything is just OK for the poor little girl. But she's gone....

Aw, hun..!  :hug: :hug:

Do you watch the TV show Hustle?  :shy: There's a saying on that show that you can't cheat an honest person. I'm afraid these people are prone to want something for nothing and there's a whole cat breeding industry sprung up to 'exploit' them. They won't have bought a pedigree for £200. They might have got a pedigree type (or cross) from a back street breeder for that money but it won't have a known bloodline or have been bred with care and it won't have papers. The true price for a well breed pedigree cat is much nearer £500/£600. They will probably end up paying 4/5 times the 'bargain price' in vet fees to fix health problems which will no doubt occur.  :tired: And when they've got fed up with paying out for that, this new cat will also be ditched just like Cookie and they'll start all over again.  :doh:

We have 2 Bengal crosses in our care at Canterbury CP right now. Both found as strays and both almost certainly kicked out by people who thought they were buying a bargain and failed to research properly into the bred traits of these high maintenance cats.  :innocent: A good breeder would never have sold a cat to someone who could so casually get rid of it them.

So yes, get angry with them because they are idiots and just the type to buy black market rip off stuff and then complain when what they buy turns out to be a fake.  :tired:

You can't do anything about Cookie now but you may be within a chance of saving this new cat. And the day will come, believe me, when this new baby also gets it's marching orders.... so you'll be ready, won't you?  ;) :hug: :hug:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2010, 22:52:36 PM »
Aw, hun..!  :hug: :hug:

Do you watch the TV show Hustle?  :shy: There's a saying on that show that you can't cheat an honest person. I'm afraid these people are prone to want something for nothing and there's a whole cat breeding industry sprung up to 'exploit' them. They won't have bought a pedigree for £200. They might have got a pedigree type (or cross) from a back street breeder for that money but it won't have a known bloodline or have been bred with care and it won't have papers. The true price for a well breed pedigree cat is much nearer £500/£600. They will probably end up paying 4/5 times the 'bargain price' in vet fees to fix health problems which will no doubt occur.  :tired: And when they've got fed up with paying out for that, this new cat will also be ditched just like Cookie and they'll start all over again.  :doh:

We have 2 Bengal crosses in our care at Canterbury CP right now. Both found as strays and both almost certainly kicked out by people who thought they were buying a bargain and failed to research properly into the bred traits of these high maintenance cats.  :innocent: A good breeder would never have sold a cat to someone who could so casually get rid of it them.

So yes, get angry with them because they are idiots and just the type to buy black market rip off stuff and then complain when what they buy turns out to be a fake.  :tired:

You can't do anything about Cookie now but you may be within a chance of saving this new cat. And the day will come, believe me, when this new baby also gets it's marching orders.... so you'll be ready, won't you?  ;) :hug: :hug:

Offline miafey

• Adult Cat
Re: Suspected bengal cross kitten causing a riot - updated :(
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2010, 22:25:27 PM »
Think I shall update this one: Cookie was rehomed  :-[

I went to London for about 4 days after X'mas and when I arrived back home late 29th Dec the first thing I heard from cookie's owner was that they just gave cookie to another family....

I was so shocked and......annoyed. she told me they took cookie to her mum-in-law's for X'mas for two days and cookie was so scared that she wouldn't want to go out of the carrier. Cookie threatened and scratched everyone who tried to approach her, apart from the owner. So her husband has decided that they can no longer keep such a "half wild cat" and placed an ad on gumtree to rehome her for free. Soon they found another family with a bigger house and another female resident cat, a dog and a rabbit.

I was very very sad. I would have never thought that they would give her up without even trying for a consulation. Her husband refused to pay any more money for cookie as she had already cost them too much. So cookie was not insured, not spayed, but vaccinated. They didn't believe in the "cat training" thing. They said it would be a waste of time as some cats just got that nature and could never be altered.

Am I over reacting? I would certainly try everything before I give up my cat. Cookie is definately not "hopeless" and her behavior over X'mas isn't just normal for a cat into a new place?? Considering the house were packed with around 7-8 people and another big dog not many cats would be very calm first time there??

What made me more annoyed is that they spent over 200 pounds on a pedigree cat just 3 days after cookie was rehomed. They have never thought of the possibility that cookie's rehome might not be successful. Although they did say they would keep cookie if she was sent back when I asked that. But if they really took this serious, surely they would not consider that a good time to have a new cat??

Cookie left them alone, with all her beddings, litter tray, food plate, scratch post, cat tree, blanket, toys now enjoyed by another cat. I don't understand how can you give your cat to anyone just like that. Doesn't she need at least her bedding with her smell on to keep her calm and relaxed in the new home?

I felt very devastated about that as cookie was just like my cat. Well I understand that sometimes people do need to rehome their beloved cats due to various reasons. I just don't think they tried hard enough. Moreover, maybe it's more of an emotional thing but I just don't see how can they handle this if they really care about cookie. They just lost their "beloved" cat and then raced to fall in love with another one in no time?? Or is it just me feeling terrible about this just because cookie is differet for me?

It's been over 3 weeks since it happens and I was always in some sort of "mood". I don't know if I was wrong. I was even asking myself was it just because they've now got a pedigree and I've got a moggie so that I felt so against it? (ridiculous isn't it? I don't even know how it came to my mind but I was so doubtful.) Then I think people are different. They may not have the same feelings as you do to pets. It's difficult to make up a standard. I feel disappointed and really sad, especially to cookie. But I wish her a very happy life, which she certainly deserves.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 22:29:46 PM by miafey »

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2009, 14:09:48 PM »
I had to stop using mine as it got Tilly so excited with it she started to foam at the mouth.  :tired:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2009, 13:58:41 PM »
Only Sasa seems to be able to see it, so maybe all my boys are color blind LOL

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2009, 13:09:28 PM »
I have been known to put the dot on Noah's paw ....  :naughty:
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2009, 12:42:58 PM »
My OH puts the dot on my foot or the dog!!!  :tired: :evillaugh:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2009, 12:37:44 PM »
Oh my cats love em Gill, guaranteed to get the crowd going  ;D

I like to make it out as if the red dot had gone under something eg the sofa, the cats sit there watching and waiting for it to come out  :evillaugh:

My partner does that too. Has him in stitches watching the cats patiently waiting for their "prey"..... ;)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2009, 12:31:56 PM »
My Lola & Maisey go in a frenzy over laser's.....Granted a few ignore it....but that is made up by the joy for the ones who dont!!!  ;) :hug:

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2009, 12:28:18 PM »
Oh my cats love em Gill, guaranteed to get the crowd going  ;D

I like to make it out as if the red dot had gone under something eg the sofa, the cats sit there watching and waiting for it to come out  :evillaugh:
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2009, 11:11:25 AM »
the prob with lasers is some cant see the dot like misa and also there is no catch and kill process, just a cheap thrill.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2009, 03:14:57 AM »
Aw she is a doll!  :Luv2:

If yer lazy like me try a laser from the shop (blue tab between the Arcade and Chat, look up and right..."The screen silly!"  :evillaugh: ) .....Cheap and effective, lots of fun and energy used up chasing the dot!  ;) :hug:
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 03:15:56 AM by Bazsmum »

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2009, 00:48:44 AM »
Another vote for Da Bird as well as the Da Furry or Da Mousey attachments, I would have thought the kitten could be left with some of the pheasant feathers (which Purrs sell separately) to play with as if she eats those it wouldn't be harmful (any regular: please correct me if I am wrong). Also good for channeling hunting instincts are the Original Dragonfly from eBay, laser toy and Turbo Track (again from Purrs). Great videos on YouTube of all these toys in action!  ;D

I am also wondering about nutrition ... you say the kitten is getting repeat eye infections, possibly from playing in her litter tray and that she easily gets the runs. If she has had antibiotics her beneficial bacteria will have been wiped out and the bad guys will then get a hold, so a course of LactB could help sort out those issues. Obviously discuss with the vet first! Secondly what about a raw chicken wing? Even small kittens can have them, if she enjoys them it will keep her occupied and again could channel those hunting and chewing instincts?  :sneaky: She could be given a bit of wing when she has to go into her crate.

:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2009, 20:44:38 PM »
Tell your pal from us she did a fine job pulling Cookie around.  :hug: And if she ever meets up with the prawn who breed her, plant a fat juicy left hook on their chin.  :boxer: In fact wait until it's their turn for the time-share brain cell that back street breeders pass around between each other and hand them a CP neutering leaflet.  :see:

Good luck with Cookie! She's adorable.  :naughty:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2009, 20:39:55 PM »
I've got a rawhide stick and Darwin loves it. Chews on it and carries it around like a prized possession....

Offline miafey

• Adult Cat
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2009, 20:03:41 PM »
Do the other owners know they are being sold kittens with cat flu? not good breeding at all  :scared:

Yes she does seem very Bengaly. Maybe she is having a bit of teething thats why she is chewing things? I know Lyla used to chew wires when she was a kitten but she has now grown out of that.

I think da bird would be great for her, and also a lazer- would wear her out a bit  ;)

I don't think they know at all. There are so many people out there just buy kitten because they are cute. If the kitten then turn up sick they may be just thrown out or left untreated.
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe Cookie needs something like a dog's chewing stick?

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2009, 19:54:32 PM »
Do the other owners know they are being sold kittens with cat flu? not good breeding at all  :scared:

Yes she does seem very Bengaly. Maybe she is having a bit of teething thats why she is chewing things? I know Lyla used to chew wires when she was a kitten but she has now grown out of that.

I think da bird would be great for her, and also a lazer- would wear her out a bit  ;)
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline miafey

• Adult Cat
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2009, 19:50:15 PM »
miafey, my cousin did very similar. Took on a six week old kitten who wasn't properly weaned because the woman told her if she didn't she'd "just give him to whoever came for him." He's a handsome boy now, with two "siblings." (Attached a picture for you. ;))

Being separated at five weeks means Cookie won't have been taught much from her Mum which will impact on the situation. Can I suggest your friend gets cable covers while training Cookie out of chewing them?

Definitely think it's worth getting in touch with Vicky Halls. Possible join her group if you're on Facebook too and open a discussion thread - someone else might have experience and be able to give you some tips we haven't thought of.

Thanks for the lovely pic :)
Will look for the cable cover and find Vicky Halls on facebook  :thanks:

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2009, 19:31:54 PM »
Sounds worrying. My boy was separated from his mum at 3 weeks of age, he is as daft as a brush, quite mouthy- but doesn't hurt. But he's never been that naughty. He does like to put things in his mouth and did chew the Christmas lights last year. But there isn't much trouble that he can get into and never has, everything dangerous is hidden from sight and as they say ... Out of sight, out of mind. Shoes are never left out ... He's eaten two sets of laces when a kitten.

As for toys. Mine likes things he can put in his mouth and chew... Scrunched up paper, feathers, bottle tops, feather wands. He's not a bengal, but a very active housecat. Ooo and if he doesn't get enough sleep he gets cranky.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2009, 19:17:32 PM »
miafey, my cousin did very similar. Took on a six week old kitten who wasn't properly weaned because the woman told her if she didn't she'd "just give him to whoever came for him." He's a handsome boy now, with two "siblings." (Attached a picture for you. ;))

Being separated at five weeks means Cookie won't have been taught much from her Mum which will impact on the situation. Can I suggest your friend gets cable covers while training Cookie out of chewing them?

Definitely think it's worth getting in touch with Vicky Halls. Possible join her group if you're on Facebook too and open a discussion thread - someone else might have experience and be able to give you some tips we haven't thought of.

Offline miafey

• Adult Cat
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2009, 19:08:47 PM »

Can I ask why Cookie had to leave her mum and sibblings at such a young age? It would seem a lot of her problems are due to that.  :(

The owner of her mum (and perhaps dad) are selling up Cookie's brothers and sisters. Cookie has got cat flu and fleas. The owner would throw her out or just let her die if my friend wouldn't take poor cookie :(

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2009, 19:04:59 PM »
Oh Julie that made me laugh and the thought of all those peeps lining up for a birman like mine ....noooooo i wsnt the lady............ :-[.....i meant I have a seal point and bet he would have been a real charmer with lady cats  ;D

Offline miafey

• Adult Cat
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2009, 19:02:25 PM »
Well, she loves Cookie very much. And to be honest being naughy is not the biggest issue - she's been like that for over 2 months... It's that she's always doing something rather dangerous to herself worries her. Also she doesn't know how to educate her. Cookie doesn't really care what you do :(

Yes only 5 weeks! My friend did a lot to take her through. Here's a pic on her first day home.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2009, 18:55:53 PM »
Gill on the subject of genetics.... I wished I had kept some of the photos but Reigate CP were called in to sort out several dozen farm cats and kittens a couple of years ago. Lots of fiery little hiss spits ready to take a chunk out of you! All cream/chocolate colour points! They couldn't believe their eyes.  :rofl: Turned out a  :censored: silly woman up the road from the farm had a Birman tom - unneutered of course - and he had at least 30 girlfriends at the farm.  :tired:  At their next rehoming roadshow the queue to adopt these little feral/farm kittens  went on for 300 yards out the door.   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Can I ask what did your friend think this cat was going to do/ act like? Thats how cats are Im afraid  :shy:

I think it's more the eating cables and other household items that Cookie's owners are concerned about if I'm right, Miafey? That certainly isn't usual behaviour.  :-:

Can I ask why Cookie had to leave her mum and sibblings at such a young age? It would seem a lot of her problems are due to that.  :(

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2009, 18:52:02 PM »
I have bengal - they really are just like all other cats, they look a bit different that is all - surely this one is just a naughty kitten who left its mother much too soon?

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2009, 18:47:09 PM »
I think all the advice given is sound advice. Cookie is a cutie - but did I read correctly; she was separated from her mother at five weeks?Way too young, poor little tyke!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2009, 18:36:41 PM »
Some times there can be two fathers but its the way she is behaving that seems to be the indicator and that very bold tabby looking pattern which look bengal to me. The rest of her fur looks ticked which is very unusual  for a normal moggy. Could be the mother or father had been cross breads themselves , genetics are very very complicted but Cookie is lovely and now its all about getting her sorted.

I would start with da bird now.........there are loads of pictures on Purrs of cats 5 or 6 ft off the ground jumping at it and they are just ordinary moggies.

Even my Sasa, all 6 kgs of her, had all 4 paws off the ground in the garden  :rofl: :rofl:

Link to CatChat