Author Topic: Hi, Please help me play cat detective!  (Read 5652 times)

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
Re: Hi, Please help me play cat detective!
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 01:30:24 AM »
 :welcome:
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 22:53:40 PM »
what happens if you take away the doormat? or is that not possible?

is there anything going on just outside the front door which might make her feel she needs to mark her boundary?

the fact that she also peed by the patio doors does make it sound like a boundary issue
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 21:16:35 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs, msrisotto: glad you found us.  Everyone will be nice to you on this forum: we don't tolerate unpleasantness :hug:

That being said, many other people will be able to advise on this issue better than I, and they will be along in a moment,
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline msrisotto

• Adult Cat
Hi, Please help me play cat detective!
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 21:07:40 PM »
Hello all, I'm new here so please be nice!

I have a beautiful, nearly 5 month female kitten called Jellybean  I'd attach a photo but can't figure it out, duh  :-[

We've moved into a house and have been here about a month now (we'd had her a week before we moved).
She's an indoor cat and currently living in our living/dining room full time. I wanted her to have the run of the house while we weren't here but she can't be trusted.

She started off by peeing by the patio door in the living room. This stopped when I put a second litter tray in this place. I haven't been able to fix the other issue though. When i'm in the house, i let her out the living room and she's been peeing on the doormat at the front door (she used to defecate there but she's switched to peeing). So i washed it with a biological solution (Soaked the mat and scrubbed) and put orange peel on it to deter her. When the peel is a day old, she'll go back to pee on the mat. I can't put a tray there as we'll step on it when we walk through the front door and she doesn't mind if she goes in the corner on in the middle and it's a big mat. She didn't mind walking on tin foil when I put that down.

I've had a Feliway plug in diffuser since we moved in, i bought it to help her feel relaxed during the move. I've recently bought the Feliway spray (She's costing me a blimmin fortune!) and i sprayed that on and around the door mat but saw her squatting there soon after!

The previous owners didn't have any pets.

WHY is she still attempting to pee on the doormat?
Would putting her food bowl there help? It's a big doormat so she'd be able to avoid peeing in her food whilst still peeing on the mat.....

I'm desperate for help so thanks in advance!

Link to CatChat