Author Topic: Sleepy cat after innoculations  (Read 1893 times)

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
Re: Sleepy cat after innoculations
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 11:24:13 AM »
Hello PrincessKasren I am sorry that I have not noticed your post previously qnd I hope that Oscar has made a full recovery.  You do not say what the innoculations were but I can bet my life that it was Fevaxyn Pentofel - steer clear

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,6283.msg97051.html#msg97051
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 19:58:13 PM »
Some cats do get very sleepy after vaccinations, my Bunty is one, and my vet says he has one who is always knocked out for a couple of days by his boosters.  So, in that respect its not unusual, but the complicating factor of what could amount to a double dose must be an unknown.  :hug:  In your situation I'd be hounding the vet just for the hell of it. 

Offline princesskasren

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Jezabel
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 18:42:43 PM »
One of my cats had a bad reaction to the Leukemia jab, I was very worried about her. It really knocked my faith in vets to be honest as they said it couldn't possibly have been the jab even though she started to get ill when she got home from the vets and had been fine before she went. I've always told the vets I don't want it for my cats since.

Double dose doesn't sound very responsible to me.   

Hope Oscars feeling better soon  :hug:

I hope that she recovered ok? Oscar ate again but he's a bit unsteady on his feet...well more than normal for a blind kitty...and just seems a bit out of it.
Oh and also...my other cat Jezabel had her vaccinations when i got her years ago but has never had any yearly boosters...vet said to me yesterday Oscar will need yearly ones but they are both indoor cats and never meet other animals or many people really so I never bothered with any boosters for Jez. In fact now that i think of it maybe Jez never even got vaccinated in the first place as I do not remember doing it but she's 9 and healthy so maybe indoor cats don't really need them. Other than Feline Leuk what else do they get vaccinated against?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 18:47:11 PM by princesskasren »

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 16:00:13 PM »
One of my cats had a bad reaction to the Leukemia jab, I was very worried about her. It really knocked my faith in vets to be honest as they said it couldn't possibly have been the jab even though she started to get ill when she got home from the vets and had been fine before she went. I've always told the vets I don't want it for my cats since.

Double dose doesn't sound very responsible to me.   

Hope Oscars feeling better soon  :hug:

Offline princesskasren

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 13:49:00 PM »
Those of ours that have the leuk vaccination are usually a bit sleepy and off their food the following day.

I too would keep a very close eye and certainly contact vet if he is still sleepy and off his food tonight.

Get well soon Oscar  :care:

Ok so is that what the last vac is the leukemia one? He has gotten up and eaten some food this afternoon albeit slowly and sleepily! lol

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 13:46:26 PM »
Those of ours that have the leuk vaccination are usually a bit sleepy and off their food the following day.

I too would keep a very close eye and certainly contact vet if he is still sleepy and off his food tonight.

Get well soon Oscar  :care:

Offline CatGirl

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 12:14:28 PM »
Personally,i'd keep a close eye on him and if he's still sleepy by tonight,i would ring your vet.I wouldn't have thought that twice the dose was good.Good luck.

Offline princesskasren

• Adult Cat
Sleepy cat after innoculations
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 12:02:58 PM »
Oscar got his last innoculation yesterday afternoon 3 weeks after his first. Last time he was ok but this time he's lethargic and has been sleeping most of teh time. Now the vet realized after she gave him his jab that she had given him one that was out of date and for legal reasons had to give him one in date so gave him another. Now I trust her when she says it won't do him any harm but is this why he is so out of sorts? Two times the virus in his system? I am not sure what the last jab in the series is and don't some of tehm have live virus in them?

Link to CatChat