Author Topic: Interesting lecture we had today about big cats.  (Read 4600 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Interesting lecture we had today about big cats.
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2009, 10:25:42 AM »
It was really good  :)

The kind of things they do for enrichment are getting a sheep fleece and sewing it onto big plastic barrels (originally wine come over in them - they have lots of arrangements with different companies to get free stuff) and making "legs" out of broom handles so the cats can "kill" them. They also make "blood icepops"  :sick: - they fill a bucket with blood and freeze a rope into it then hang it up. One odd enrichment thing they have is a retired greyhound they walk around by the enclosures. They said the dog isn't bothered and they cats go into stalk mode although they don't get stressed from not being able to get to the dog. He said the tigers etc really seem to enjoy it and the dog is oblivious  (he said greyhounds are stupid  :evillaugh: )
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2009, 21:47:12 PM »
Aaw Mark - I bet that's your best day at College ever  :Luv2:

I use quite a lot of aromatherapy oils and I'm glad to see they are helping the big cats.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2009, 12:36:36 PM »
She was invited to our branch open day but it was £100 which would have had to come from limited branch funds.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2009, 11:02:58 AM »
Beautiful Tiger pic JS. Stunning creatures  :Luv:

It's from Vickys behaviour page on Facebook.  ;)

I actually did my final study on the comparative behaviour between feral colonies and prides of lions. :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Gatos

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2009, 08:55:56 AM »
Interesting post - thanks.
Sometimes our little ones distant cousins don't seem so distant!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." ~ Albert Schweitzer

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2009, 20:07:55 PM »
Wish you had Mark.  I'd love to see how big cats respond to Witty's catnip although think I'd give 'em a wide berth when giving it to them.  I won some in auction and our lot are out of control with it  :Luv2:

Beautiful Tiger pic JS. Stunning creatures  :Luv:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 19:38:24 PM »
To be honest, I was really tempted to ask him if big cats responded to catnip during the question session but resisted  :evillaugh:

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 19:17:01 PM »
Thanks for reporting, Mark, that's really interesting.  ;D Look what effect the scent of catnip or valerian has on our kitties!
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 19:09:21 PM »
. He said that any of us that think it is nonsense should keep and open mind. He has seen things like lavendar completely turn around animals with stress/behaviour problems.

I've always believed in the powers of lavender  ;) and its one of the safe essential oils for cats too.

Sounds like a good lecture, I like the sound of their committment to enrichment.  :)

I believe in aromatherapy too and use it often although I don't mind lavender I'm personally not a big fan there are others I prefer.

Sounds a good lecture Mark  ;D
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 18:51:25 PM »
He mentioned lavender twice. One was just a piece of lavender flower that the tiger carried around for 10 minutes before eating. Another was a case of a stressed animal (tiger again I think) that after the keeper went in with it doused on their clothing, the animal relaxed and went to sleep.

Anecdote, not evidence, of course.  But as I say, I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear that the calming effects are real.  There's a sound reason we're drawn to certain smells and repulsed by others, after all.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 18:39:16 PM »
He mentioned lavender twice. One was just a piece of lavender flower that the tiger carried around for 10 minutes before eating. Another was a case of a stressed animal (tiger again I think) that after the keeper went in with it doused on their clothing, the animal relaxed and went to sleep.

I am going to look into visiting the place either as a volunteer or a paying guest. As our college has close links, it should be quite possible. One of the students in my class already volunteers there.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 18:44:45 PM by Mark »

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 18:33:42 PM »
He said he used to be a cynic but has seen the results of Aromatherapy first-hand. He said that any of us that think it is nonsense should keep and open mind. He has seen things like lavendar completely turn around animals with stress/behaviour problems.

There's some interesting research out there - admittedly on people - to suggest that there is a real therapeutic effect (in the area of stress) from both massage and aromatherapy massage.  I believe any additional benefit of using oils has yet to be proven but that this is an area of investigation currently.

In fact, I for one would not be at all surprised to hear that there is genuine therapeutic benefit in certain oils.

How does WHF administer the lavendar, Mark?  Having asked that, I know there is also current research into delivery mechanisms.

I'm a huge fan of lavendar myself: I find the scent transporting  :)
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 18:18:04 PM »
Vickys big cat patient, Ronja. ;)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 18:06:21 PM »
. He said that any of us that think it is nonsense should keep and open mind. He has seen things like lavendar completely turn around animals with stress/behaviour problems.

I've always believed in the powers of lavender  ;) and its one of the safe essential oils for cats too.

Sounds like a good lecture, I like the sound of their committment to enrichment.  :)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 17:06:00 PM »
Kylie is a larger cat and I bet she can use da birdy!  :evillaugh: :hug:

:smack: :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 17:13:52 PM by Mark »

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 16:54:41 PM »
Kylie is a larger cat and I bet she can use da birdy!  :evillaugh: :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 16:51:49 PM »
That sounds like a really interesting lecture, and amazing that so many things we do for our small cats relate to the big cats too  :Luv2:

One of the enrichment things for their Lynx is like a giant da bird  :evillaugh: but he said they wouldn't use that kind of thing with larger cats.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 17:05:39 PM by Mark »

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 16:46:20 PM »
That sounds like a really interesting lecture, and amazing that so many things we do for our small cats relate to the big cats too  :Luv2:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Interesting lecture we had today about big cats.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 16:37:28 PM »
We had a guest lecturer today - the CEO of WHF (The Wildlife Heritage Foundation) It isn't a zoo but they have all kinds of wild cats for  breeding & education programmes. You can go there for a day in a group but it costs around £200 a head.

Anyway, We were shown lots of pictures and given loads of info but some of the interesting things he said were;

1. Vicky Halls helps them with behaviour problems and is currently working with one of the Tigers.
2. They use and recommend Zylkene for stressed cats. They have successfully treated a tiger who was so stressed, she had snapped 2 teeth biting the cage wires.
3. He said he used to be a cynic but has seen the results of Aromatherapy first-hand. He said that any of us that think it is nonsense should keep and open mind. He has seen things like lavendar completely turn around animals with stress/behaviour problems.

http://www.whf.org.uk/ It isn't far from our college and some of the students are volunteers there but he said it is so popular that they refuse more volunteers than they accept. They are big on enrichment. They said the animals come first there - he showed us various ways they try to improve the lives and welfare of the animals there.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 16:49:28 PM by Mark »

Link to CatChat