Author Topic: cattery Question  (Read 5649 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: cattery Question
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2010, 09:34:38 AM »
Funny how people sometimes join to ask a question then disappear without a trace  :Crazy:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2010, 12:24:46 PM »
Its hassle because they are obliged to change and wash between visits to isolation and the other pens or so I was told.
love
Tab

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2010, 11:13:42 AM »
I can't see how there is any hassle?
Please spay your cat

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2010, 11:12:30 AM »
I know its just a lot of hassle to them so not very practical
love
Tab

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2010, 10:35:21 AM »
Tab, you might want to explain to them there are no risks of an FIV cat staying in a pen, it can only be spread through contact such as deep bites.
Please spay your cat

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2010, 10:13:36 AM »
The cattery I help at has an isolation pen but because of the health controls involved where you have to basically wash and change before going to other cats they dont take un vacc'd or FIV cats its just there in case one becomes ill
love
Tab

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2010, 19:34:10 PM »
Sharn has an isolation pen but doesn't take unvaccinated cats. Not sure what the rules are. Maybe risk of airborne disease?

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2010, 19:32:33 PM »
Quite a few catteries round here have a seperate pen or two where unvaccinated cats can stay, is that not a common thing then?

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 08:44:08 AM »
Would a cattery accept an indoor only cat that is unvaccinated due to a prior bad reaction? I presume not as you could be lying about indoor? I don't ever intend to put Noah in a cattery, but you never know.

They shouldnt -

And If a cattery says they would then I wouldn't use them !! (if that makes sense)

I know what you mean - if they bend one rule, how many others will they bend? No reputable cattery would risk it I don't think.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 08:26:25 AM »
Would a cattery accept an indoor only cat that is unvaccinated due to a prior bad reaction? I presume not as you could be lying about indoor? I don't ever intend to put Noah in a cattery, but you never know.

They shouldnt -

And If a cattery says they would then I wouldn't use them !! (if that makes sense)

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 23:40:01 PM »
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 21:53:09 PM »
There are a lot of issues to bear in mind such as not accepting "guests" without proof that vaccinations are up to date.

If a client cant produce an up to date vac card then I ring their vets

Amazing how many people don't vaccinate. When people phone about rehoming, we ask them about vaccinations. Some of them say things like "I think so" etc. We tell them that one of our fosterers runs a cattery and she isn't allowed to take cats that are't up to date and this needs to be backed up - so this could make a difference to how long they wait.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 21:53:46 PM by Mark »

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 21:28:04 PM »
There are a lot of issues to bear in mind such as not accepting "guests" without proof that vaccinations are up to date.

If a client cant produce an up to date vac card then I ring their vets

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 21:08:40 PM »

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 22:04:34 PM »
The Cattery i use was just opened last year. the people loved cats and have 2 of their own and their dream was to open and run a cattery. They have no formal qualifications. the worked in conjunction with the local council to design and build and its the best cattery around and they are super with the cats.

I vowed never to use a cattery after bad experience but i heard so many good reviews about this cattery and Ollie and Tyler were so happy there, it was large and spacious and they had to rooms in it seperated by a cat flap.
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 21:35:05 PM »
Can I ask Pud?  Why do you want to know? 

I initially assumed that you were interested in starting a cattery but you might be wanting to look into whether a particular cattery is up to scratch?

Not that it matters....just interested  :shy:

:welcome: by the way  :)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 21:39:32 PM by Rosella moggy »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 19:01:01 PM »
It's a tricky one. I know someone that runs an excellent cattery but refuses to belong to FAB any more as she finds the charges too high. I suppose when you are building a business, it might be more important but to someone who already has a lot of repeat customers, not so. As far as I know, legally, you need to register with your local council and that is the only requirement (except of course tax, NI etc)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 17:13:03 PM »
I found this on the link Christine supplied...

"Qualifications and training   
No formal qualifications are needed to run a cattery at the present time, although it is a great advantage for any cattery proprietor to have training in cattery management. The FAB can provide you with information on courses."

I think however this may have been written before the Animal Welfare Act came in so would suggest you confirm this.  You could contact FAB.  I'm sure they could tell you if above comment is still the case.

Offline pud

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 16:56:53 PM »
Thanks but that website dose not tell you if you have to have any Qualifications just that they have courses

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 16:54:14 PM »
Hi and  :welcome: glad you've joined us  ;D

Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 16:52:49 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs, Pud, glad you found us and decided to join in.

This link should be helpful for you: http://www.fabcats.org/catteries/index.php
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline pud

• Kitten
cattery Question
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 16:50:46 PM »
Hi do you know if you have to have any Qualifications to be able to run a cattery or can anyone start up there own cattery

Link to CatChat