Author Topic: Overweight cat - is this mistreatment?  (Read 3387 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Overweight cat - is this mistreatment?
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2009, 18:10:36 PM »
Jaffa is ginger and he's not in the least overweight.  He is a bit of a greedy guts though, and the only reason he isn't overweight is because I control his food intake, so there may be something in that theory!

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2009, 16:48:29 PM »

May i add he is a Ginger Tabby & i have seen sooooo many large ginger tabbies.....is it a genetic thing?

I have to admit that the 2 fattest cats in my household are both ginger/whtes and I have been wondering the same thing.....all my ohers are normal size.

Offline Mollyrock

• Senior Cat
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2009, 22:15:02 PM »
Awwwwk, the poor thing!

Offline Kally

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Chiana and Salem
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2009, 14:30:56 PM »
i just spotted an extremely over weight dog in the dog gallery http://www.morrisons.co.uk/Family-Life/Pets/Gallery/Dogs/?ImageID=e53074af-f24b-41b7-897f-74a1dac73b3a&OrderBy=Recent

now that dog is a corgi and it says the dog likes goats chese
The world is a dark place because of negativity so lets brighten it up with some possitivity

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2009, 15:22:54 PM »
My Macey likes her dry food, although she is not allowed it. She sneaks into the kitchen and eats it when Im not in there. To be honest I would say dry food is the cause of her being over weight, she was 5.2kg last november and is just growing in size, I dont know how to stop her  :scared:
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2009, 12:57:27 PM »
I have an overweight cat - he weighs in at 8.2kg!   He is generally a large cat in size anyway.  That cat in the photo though is seriously overweight - my cat looks nothing like that.

He only gets 30g dry food in the morning and at night - no treats/no wet food and yet he is still massive.    He went to see a nutrionist but quite frankly I don't think she believed me when I told her what I fed him and I just came away feeling bad when I know I'd done nothing wrong.   They also just promote Hill's food which at the moment I just can't afford so I've had to stop going - although he only lost 500g in the whole time he was seeing her which was over 6 months.   

« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 16:59:43 PM by Angeladeedah »

Offline Kally

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Chiana and Salem
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2009, 17:16:39 PM »
The world is a dark place because of negativity so lets brighten it up with some possitivity

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2009, 11:53:06 AM »
I think it depends on the level of "overweight." One of my cats is a little bit umm....I call her comely (as in comely wench!) but we do try and control it so it doesn't get out of hand.
However, the picture you're referring to in my opinion is definitely cruelty.
Totally agree. It really does depend on the level. I am sure most cases of overweight cats are simply because the catsare naturally a bit on the round side, scavenge food, are a bit lazy and don't run around as much as they should or the owners do give them extras out of love rather than anything else. When it comes to the size of the cat in question though, it is cruelty to let it get to that state as that cat will almost definately have health problems at some point or another. I personally do think owners should be aware of weight and prevention is better than cure.

Offline Mollyrock

• Senior Cat
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 11:41:37 AM »
Yeah, i am sure too that i have seen that cat before.
When we rescued Tiggz last may he was 6.1kg, at his vet check we where told he need to loose weight. He's due for his jabs soon so i am interested to see if he has lost any weight. He has lots of activity since the Bengals arrived but is still a considerably large cat. He doesn't have cat treats, just the very odd nibble of chesse. I have cut down on his dry to a few nibbles at night & he is on a high quality wet food. So we'll see what the vet says, i will let you know  ;D
May i add he is a Ginger Tabby & i have seen sooooo many large ginger tabbies.....is it a genetic thing?

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 11:21:51 AM »
I think it depends on the level of "overweight." One of my cats is a little bit umm....I call her comely (as in comely wench!) but we do try and control it so it doesn't get out of hand.

One of Korky's vets used to call him 'portly' (the others called him fat).  Mind you, he's in no position to get judgemental - if he ever gives up being a vet he could earn a living as a Richard Griffiths look alike  :rofl:

I can sympathise about the big cat/little cat scenario Mark - Korky was 6.8 kg and Tiny was 2.8 kg and everybody assumed that Korky ate Tiny's food but in truth it was the other way round.

But to get back to the photo - that really is excessive.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 09:40:28 AM »
I'm sure that cat is in some of the youtube "funny cat" videos that are a series of stills.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Sheli_80

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to Henry and Charley
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 22:18:27 PM »
I'm sure I've seen that cat before, think it might have a story of incredibly large cats but would need to have a hunt to try find it.

Offline Kucinta

• Adult Cat
  • Milo & Remy
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 22:08:48 PM »
Its not always mistreatment though.

My Lilly is huge but i have done everything i can to get her weight down.
None of my other cats are her size

That's why I said at the outset I know some cats can grow large (and as humans go, I'm not exactly small!  :-[), so wasn't wagging fingers in general.

It was just that the cat in this  particular photo really seemed excessively large, and was supposedly only one year old, I was concerned that at that size he would definitely have health issues sooner or later, but that the owners might not realise they were not doing what was best for him.

I think I'd go with JackSpratt on this one.

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
  • Miss Jasmine <3 (R.I.P Special girl)
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 22:02:29 PM »
Omg that photo's unbelievable  :shocked:

My Meeko's a hefty boy and my sister in law is always banging on about it but I've asked two different vets now and they said he might be slightly overweight by a chart but not anything to be concerned about they say he's just a solidly built cat. That, plus loving food and being ultra-lazy doesn't help. The other 3 will run for Da Bird, he just sprawls out on the floor with a paw up in case it flies over him  :evillaugh:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 20:57:27 PM »
Well done Mojo for finding it on other sites - I spotted this cat when the first 'vote for my cat' appeared on here and commented on how bad it was and I hoped it was not real as it also said it was 1 year old.

We can do some really good things with photos etc. but it's pretty sick when people start messing with things like this and get people worried.

Some cats are overweight and I can no longer pick my friend's cat up cos he makes my arms ache but he is healthy enough.  But that's another story which some people feel very strongly about so... The END  :hug:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 20:52:30 PM »

However, the picture you're referring to in my opinion is definitely cruelty.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 20:52:25 PM »
Same here. Kylie is 6kg and Willow is 2.5kg. I always stand my ground when vets start wagging fingers at me thesedays  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 20:49:43 PM »
Its not always mistreatment though.

My Lilly is huge but i have done everything i can to get her weight down.
None of my other cats are her size

Offline Kucinta

• Adult Cat
  • Milo & Remy
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 17:32:57 PM »
I just googled "fat cat" and the same picture of the cat came up on different websites, so I think this is someone who is very bored!!

Thanks for that - I was getting quite worried on behalf of 'Granty', but  knowing what to do for the best.

Offline Mojo

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 17:30:55 PM »
I just googled "fat cat" and the same picture of the cat came up on different websites, so I think this is someone who is very bored!!

Add Glitter to Pictures

R.I.P My beautiful Mango xx 13/05/2006 - 01/11/2009

Offline Kucinta

• Adult Cat
  • Milo & Remy
Overweight cat - is this mistreatment?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 17:28:21 PM »
I was looking at the cats in the Morrison's competition  and came across this one (hope the link works - not very IT)

I know some cats do grow large, despite the best efforts of their owners, but I'd seriously worry for the health of this chap.

Am I being too judgemental, or is this a case of unwitting mistreatment?

http://www.morrisons.co.uk/Family-Life/Pets/Gallery/Cats/?ImageID=55cbafb3-68fb-42ff-a141-c914d547b8c9&OrderBy=Popular

Link to CatChat