Author Topic: To insure or not?  (Read 5286 times)

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
Re: To insure or not?
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 23:28:27 PM »
Personally I've never insured any of my FIV babes, as I've always thought the insurance would just say any illness was attributed to FIV (with the exceptions of accidents of course......)

I put money away each month to cover possible vets bills. The dogs are insured though!

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 21:49:27 PM »
One day Bob came home with his leg just hanging in a floppy heap. He had broken the wee bony prominence that attaches the sinew to the bone. Goodness knows how it happened. He was 11  years old and had a breed life expectancy of 10 years. I was broke. I had no money. The best solution, which gave a 50% chance of success was $3000.00. I took it, despite having to go into hock for 6 months. He died aged 19 and was still happily jumping in the back window which was 4 feet off the ground. If I had had insurance it would have meant I could have lived on more than canned beans for 6 months. It is not worth going without.

Offline clarenmax

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 10:38:27 AM »
That's true, assuming they would not try to get out of paying by saying that FIV cats are more prone to such conditions  :shify:

In my mind its worth having, even if its never claimed upon, just for that peace of mind.

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 10:36:52 AM »
I would insure so things like hyperthyroidism, diabetes and heart conditions are covered. And if they were to door bolt into the path of a car it would be covered too.

Offline clarenmax

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 10:20:14 AM »
I do, I've got a policy with M&S, its about £11 a month, not only due to the FIV, but the fact that Max is nearly 9 as well.

I'm not sure of the merit of the insurance though, to be honest, as any illness which they could attribute to the FIV would be excluded.  Dental work is also exluded.

It does however cover for any eventualities like breaking a leg or anything like that.

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline LittleLijah

• Senior Cat
To insure or not?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 08:46:18 AM »
I was wondering whether anyone else insures their FIV boys and girls? Luckily my first cat was insured before we knew he had FIV.

Link to CatChat