Author Topic: Urgent home needed for FeLV cat out of options.  (Read 5004 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: Urgent home needed for FeLV cat out of options.
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 18:38:06 PM »
Just linking back to your other thread as there are replies on there too http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,39314

Offline Griffybrush

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Many
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 17:30:06 PM »
It was a snap test kindly funded by my local CP but at 3-4 years old the vet said it was unlikely he'd just shed it and given the scratches and bite scars on him that it was given to him that way while being left on the streets.

If somebody else could take him and do this test then that'd be great but I genuinely can't afford the expenses he'd need.

I really do want him to just find a nice home with someone who'd adore a lap cat, the poor thing just wants somebody to love and take care of him, he doesn't scratch or bite and is perfectly happy with my dogs but again, I'm just not willing to risk my babies in the slightest and they're not happy about being banished upstairs while he's here.

I'll re-post this in the urgent home section as well, thank you.

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 17:15:15 PM »
Hi

Wonder whether this might also be posted in the urgent cats needing homes section as well?

Could I ask whether the diagnosis of FeLV was based on a single in-house snap test as they can provide false positives?

Also my understanding is that cats can develop antibodies and shed the virus so it is important to see whether the cat is permanently infected. This I believe is done by having 2 Felv tests undertaken 12 weeks apart and analysed at Glasgow or Bristol.

PS you may find this link re FeLV useful
 http://www.catchat.org/leukaemia.html

Apologies if you already know all this but sure you will agree it is very important especially for this little cat.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 17:27:45 PM by Edd, Reason: To add PS and link »

Offline Griffybrush

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Many
Urgent home needed for FeLV cat out of options.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 16:22:42 PM »
I need an urgent home or even somebody who will foster and find a home for an approximately 3 year old male, he's grey and was abandoned, he's flead and wormed but has tested positive for FeLV and I was advised by RSPCA to just "let him go" which I find disgusting as he's so not feral, he just lies on you purring and cuddling, nudging you when you stop with the fuss, he's got a good build and the vets think he's a British short hair cross, he seems entirely healthy and you wouldn't know he was infected without the test.

If he can't find somewhere in the next week he'll have to be PTS as there's nowhere else for him to go, I've called every animal welfare place in the area and called everyone I know and had them ask their friends and their friends friends and have been either advised to put him down or just let him go as I have cats of my own and as much as it breaks my heart I refuse to put them at any sort of risk, no matter how small so he needs to go, he's so amazing it really does rip me up to even consider putting him to sleep but I'm out of options.

I'm in birmingham and please help, if you can at all call me on
07919337977 at any time or day

Link to CatChat