Author Topic: FIV Advice Needed Please!  (Read 16011 times)

Offline carole1b

• Adult Cat
  • Lucy Loo
Re: FIV Advice Needed Please!
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2007, 16:07:44 PM »
Hi Donna

How is your little one ?? I know how you feel my cat tabby has just been diagnosed with FIV. He is ok at the moment and not sick apart from Diorehha and some weight loss. Have you any advice i noted your cat also had some runny stools. He is on anitbiotics at the moment and tree barks powder thats supposed to help him digest food. He likes wet food and is on Royal Cannin sensitive but hes not keen on it at all, I want to get him eating as much as I can so can you recoment a wet food high in protein for him. I am so sorry your bell is not well. PLease let me know how your going on I so hope there was something the vet could do.

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2007, 23:30:00 PM »
Hi Donna - just wondering how Bell is getting on, he's in my thoughts often.

x

Alex

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2007, 16:00:59 PM »
We hope that Bell has good luck today. 
Thinking of you.
Cuddles from Alex and furry head butts from Dylan. xxx

p.s-Anyone who lives in the South Wales area, Dylan is in The South Wales Argus sometime next week.

www.southwalesargus.co.uk

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2007, 14:24:33 PM »
Fingers crossed for you both today. I'm just so please he's found you to look after him and isn't out there suffering alone. Big hugs to you both and thinking of you

x

Offline clarenmax

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2007, 08:50:06 AM »
Sorry to hear that Bell is poorly at the moment.  I hope the vets can do something for him  :hug:

Will be thinking of you xxx

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2007, 07:46:59 AM »
I will be keeping the two of you in my thoughts, and hoping that the vet can do something. if not, I know you will do the right thing by him and not let him suffer.
Please spay your cat

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2007, 00:07:45 AM »
So sorry to hear that Bell has gone downhill.  It's such a hard decision to make when the time comes but I know you will do what is right for Bell, he's a lucky boy to have found such a caring Mum.  Keeping everything crossed for you both, hope you have some positive news at the vets tomorrow  :hug:

Offline donna

• Kitten
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2007, 23:55:26 PM »
Hi,
Not good news for Bell. He was doing ok-ish, but thi afty he has started with watery and bloody diarrhoea and is being sick.

He looks confused, disorientated and in pain this eve and I'm really concerned for him. he has been drinking a heck of alot of water and has stopped eating.
He's gone downhilll really quickly. Over the last 24 hours he's gone from looking a little bit worse than normal to looking really poorly.
 I'll get him to the vet tomorrow and see what they say.

I have a feeling that its getting close to the time to Bless him and to help him into the Light over the bridge. I'll take the vets advice tomorrow, but i dont think he should be suffering like this, its not fair for him.

Will let you know how it goes for him, maybe the vet will be able to help him feel better and he will improve tomorrow.

With Love and Thanks to all
donna xxx

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2007, 22:30:14 PM »
Any updates on Bell Donna? Keep thinking of him - hope he's doing ok

x

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2007, 14:14:30 PM »
Donna, do you have any other vets in your area? If so, it might be worth shopping around, some vets are more proactive with certain illnesses than others. I haven't heard of the remedy you mention, i would just check that none of the ingredients are toxic. Good luck
Please spay your cat

Offline donna

• Kitten
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2007, 12:59:09 PM »

***Good luck with Bell, Donna. Fingers crossed you can both defy the vets with this one, what kind of cat food have you tried him on? Do you feed wet or dry? Dry food can be easier on cats with mouth issues. ***

Hi :)  :thanks: to All for the advice and encouragement!

I feet wet food as Bell cant eat the dry. His teeth are loose and gums infected, it causes too much pain for him. I may try soaking some and see if he will eat them.
Ive just been researching on the internet and have found a home made 'remedy' that some peeps have tried for furry people in Bells condition.
Its a blend of Palm oil,  buffered Vit C, Zink sulphate, Lecithin, Alpha lipoic acid , omega oils and Green Tea. Its spread on the feet and paws for them to lick off.

Has anybody tried this? If so what were the results?

My vet has given up with Bell, its a case of keeping him as happy as poss till the end, now I'm not daft, I know he's sick and we will prolly loose him but I want to make sure Ive done all I can to help him first...not giving up without a fight!

He's having aggressive AB treatment at the mo, which is helping, but this wont keep on working, as soon as the bacteria become used to the AB they will stop working :(
I'm looking at ordering these ingredients and giving it a go so any info or advice about it would be welcome!

Dylans owner Alex! Please dont be scared cos your lovely liddle kitty is FIV+...Bell is a stray who was very sick when I found him ( or he found me !), his FIV was already active cos he was so run down and his immune system was so over active. For a 'normal' cat who is loved, looked after and fed etc well there is no reason that they cant live long, happy and sick-free lives.
Bells case is different cos he didnt have a home and was living paw to mouth with no one to care for him when he became poorly. Dylan has you to care for him, he's gonna be an ok Happy Kitty :) 

Love to all
donna xxx

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2007, 19:15:43 PM »
Good luck with Bell, Donna. Fingers crossed you can both defy the vets with this one, what kind of cat food have you tried him on? Do you feed wet or dry? Dry food can be easier on cats with mouth issues.
Dylan sounds cute Alex, I am surpised no one wanted him with being ginger, it is a very popular colour in most areas, and doesn't seem to have the stigma that ginger in humans does. As Lynn says, there is a lot of sources that say not to feed FIV+ with raw food, I personally would air on the side of caution and not feed any raw to them at all
Please spay your cat

Offline clarenmax

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2007, 19:04:33 PM »
Dylan sounds adorable  ;D

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2007, 15:14:41 PM »
Thats a shame about his sisters  :(
He sounds a cutie, have you any pics?

Nobody wanted him because coupled with the FIV, hes ginger

Round here people love gingers (and white is the other high demand colour).

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2007, 15:02:34 PM »
having an adoption day and I originally went there for a cute, tiny kitten but when I saw him I fell head over heels in love.  Nobody wanted him because coupled with thee FIV, hes ginger. 

If only more people would take a leaf out of your book, I would be so happy.  Thank you.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Alex

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2007, 11:34:06 AM »
Dylan is 7 months old and we got him from Cats Protection.  He was found dumped in a box with his two sisters, who were free from FIV but are now found to be blind.  Cats Protection were having an adoption day and I originally went there for a cute, tiny kitten but when I saw him I fell head over heels in love.  Nobody wanted him because coupled with thee FIV, hes ginger.  I've only had him a week but he has turned into a lovely cuddly, cheeky boy.  I have infact written this three times because he keeps walking over the keyboard and pressing delete! ;D

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2007, 14:06:06 PM »
Donna the nice thing is Bell did find you and forever long he has left he will be loved and spoilt by you.

We had our FIV Holly - landed the day before I burried my mother (timing is never the best) - a feral my old vet refused to put to sleep.

Her hissyness Holly had 8 months of good quality food, heating and love if only from a distance, moved house with us and died 10 weeks after we moved with another of my feral mob beside her.

Holly loved the other 36 cats, the 2 dogs and the good food, humans were her problem but when she left we had a gaping hole that will never be filled and proved that FIV can live in a normal household - well one we consider noral with 37 cats in total - 2 strays outside and Jazz our remaining doggie.

Holly was a feisty lady who had love on her terms I only wish it had been longer so love him while you can as we just never know when they will choose to say goodbye.
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2007, 13:34:15 PM »
alex as millys mum said high amounts of raw liver is not advisable in any cat but small amounts every now and then are ok.  Some people debate whether you should feed raw products to fiv/felv cats due to their immune systems being not as good as non fiv cats but if your cat is healthy then it shouldnt be a problem for a small amount of FRESH raw meat.  I had a fiv/felv cat who ate rather a lot of raw meat but he was accustomed to it. (ps he never had a stomach upset in his life and it did not affect him in any way)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2007, 13:04:19 PM »
Hi Alex, congrats on your new babe!
Raw liver is ok for cats if fed in moderation, it has lots of vitamin A in it so excessive amounts would cause probs.

How old is Dylan? Was his status confirmed at Glasgow?

Donna, hopefully the anti-b's will make him feel better  :hug:

Alex

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2007, 12:07:52 PM »
I've just become mummy to a FIV+ kitten called Dylan.  I have been told to NEVER give him raw liver.  Is this right or have I been misinformed?
 :thanks:

Offline donna

• Kitten
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2007, 15:13:02 PM »
Hi,
We went to the vet this morning. Bells lymph glands are swollen and his mouth does need alot of attention, but nothing physical can be done as he isnt strong enough to take an anesthetic. He also has more muscle wastage now than he did at his last visit, even tho he has filled out and put on some fat with the feeding and extra warmth.

Bell has been put onto permanant antibiotic to try and keep the infections under controll and also an anti inflammatory to help ease things down even more for him and to take away any pain he has, but vet made it plain that its all palliative care, making the time he has left as comfy as poss and bringing a bit of sweetness into Bells life.

Vet says it doesnt really matter what Bell is fed on, as long as he's happy he can eat whatever he feels like as it wont really matter about long term damage from dog food or anything else cos the FIV is active and will get him before anything can.

At the mo Bells life quality is ok, he's happy, eating bits and bobs, purring alot and enjoying his comfy lifestyle. He is to be reassessed every month or sooner if I'm worried. If things get too much for him and he starts suffering then it will be time to rethink the strategies, but for now he is to stay with me and enjoy some TLC.

I still need as much advice as poss about making life better/easier/comfier for my little friend please, he's only gonna be here for a short time so got to try and make it the best for him.

I wish he had found me sooner.

Love donna xxx

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2007, 13:25:19 PM »
HI :)

I'm just off to go and look up the taurine and where to get it from...Thank You! He does seem to prefer the home made food so I shall get some in for him. What kind of dose should he have?

Hi Donna,
Heres where I get my taurine from http://www.good4you.co.uk/store.asp  - search for NOW brand. I tend to buy the capsules rather than the loose powder, because it saves measuring out! I use 2 capsules (so, 1000 mg) to around 500g of meat, but, I would start adding it gradually at first, because some cats can get tummy upsets from amino acids like taurine, if they are introduced to quickly.

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 23:00:28 PM »
Donna he looks adorable and you're trying so hard with him, I'm sure he'll be fine. Your vet sounds great too.
Please keep us posted on his progress

x

Offline donna

• Kitten
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 20:28:38 PM »
HI :)

I'm just off to go and look up the taurine and where to get it from...Thank You! He does seem to prefer the home made food so I shall get some in for him. What kind of dose should he have?

I ordered a pig liver for him in my online shop this week in a fit of bravado and 'I CAN make catty food'  ...I was so relieved when they delivered the shopping and it was an unavailable item ! :Crazy:  I'll pop to the local butcher and get some smaller pieces to start with I think!

Yes, I do think the Merc is working or at least helping :) Have had some good results with animal homeopathy, especially wound healing and for shock.

Thanks for the dog food reasurance as well, if he continues to enjoy it i can always add the taurine to it :)

I love this site! So much info and answers ...Thanks!
Love donna xxx

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 19:47:24 PM »
Hi:)

I have recently been adopted by a poory-sick furry friend who we have called Bell.
He arrived in my hay store in a real mess and near to collapse with exhaustion and malnutrition.
Took him straight to the vet who has blood tested him and found severe anemia and FIV and one liver function test was abnormal. Kidney function and other liver test was normal.

I feed cooked not raw as I'm worried about his immune system coping with any bacteria that may be on raw meat....any advice on this?

The one thing he goes nutty for is butchers tripe dog food...he actually elbowed my dog away from his food bowl to get it! I have read that cats shouldnt have dog food, but also read that they will eat what they need.

He has the homeopathic remedy Mercury for the sore gums/mouth twice a day and also the FIV remedy once a week.

Hi Donna,

I don't know about raw meat for immunospuppressed cats, but its great that he's getting fresh cooked at least - you might want to think about adding taurine if you're cooking the food, because most of it is lost in the cooking process. I buy the powdered NOW brand which is just taurine (some brands have additional ingredients in)

If he likes the tripe dog food I shouldnt worry, the concern about feeding dog food is that it doesnt contain sufficient taurine for cats, but if your'e feeding it alongside all the other lovely things your're giving him, it shouldnt be a problem!  ;D

Do you think the homeopathic merc is working for his mouth? It sounds like he's improving under your care! Good luck at the vet!

Offline donna

• Kitten
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 19:42:50 PM »
Hi :)
I do have a stack of tins of Hills a/d...is that the same? It was from the vet, but fussy Mr Man wont touch it!
I tried all sorts to get it down him but he refuses point blank! I shall try again tho!

I have just made him some minced chicken and rice with a small spoon of scrambled egg mixed in and he scrammed the lot, was only 2-3 dessert spoonfulls, but thats good going for him! I shall try adding the a/d to this mixture a little at a time and see if he will start to eat it that way.

His blood tests were sent away for testing, I'm not too sure where to but they were back within a week. We are back at the vet tomorrow I shall ask about the Antirobe then...Thank You!

The vet was amazing when i first took Bell in. As Bell was a poorly stray he didnt charge for consults, a weeks worth of AB injections or another weeks AB tablets, they gave me the a/d food for him also with no charge!
I did pay for all of the blood tests ( EEEEK!) and will be charged for further follow up consults, but his generosity was astounding...so kind!

Thanks for the advice, its really appriciated  :thanks:

Love donna xx

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 18:07:42 PM »
Hi Donna
The best thing you could feed Bell is a/d from your vet, its high in fat, very palatable and really helps ill cats recover. Its ultra smooth so good for those with bad mouths.
I would hold back on adding extra vits, the a/d has all the neccessary vits in it, as has all cat food.

Did your vet test him for fiv inhouse or send it away? When he recovers i would get another test done at Glasgow to confirm his status.

I would request another course of anti-b's for his mouth, Antirobe are the best for that kind of problem.

Bell is really lucky to have found you and you are a complete star for funding this cat out of your own pocket!

Offline donna

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 17:12:46 PM »
Ok, It worked so heres another :)

Love d~xxx

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline donna

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 16:56:28 PM »
Hi :)
Thanks for all the replies!
I'm trying to upload a pic of Bell but the ones I have are all too big...gonna see if i can shrink one down :)

Hope this works!
love donna xx

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline clarenmax

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 16:21:36 PM »
Hi Donna, yes we defo need to see some photos of your new addition!  Can I also say I'm really pleased he's found his way to you, you sound like you're trying to do all the right things for him, so well done you  :hug:

With regard to the FIV side of things, you're doing all you can do at the moment really.  Your vet will have probably told you that they tend to suffer more with teeth and gum problems, I think you'll have to see how the antibiotics work, then decide what to do from there.  He may need to have some of those teeth taken out, but don't worry, cats can eat biscuits with little or no teeth, so if he does have to have some extractions, he will be fine.  My boy had to have 2 out a few years ago, and now we feed him prescription dry food, Royal Canin Dental SO, as the pieces are larger and they actually have to chew them, as opposed to just swallowing them straight down lol!

I'm not really up to speed with nutrition for cats, so hopefully others will advise what is good for this little one.  I think at the moment the main thing is to find something he enjoys to get his weight back up to normal and strengthen him up, then look at what to regulate his food intake on.

Some peeps on here also give vitamin supplements etc, so hopefully they will be on soon to give some further advice.

Sorry its a bit short and sweet, I'm at work at the mo and need to get some letters out this afternoon  :Crazy:

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 15:41:51 PM »
Hi Donna,

Well done for taking Bell in , that's really lovely and he's so lucky to have found someone to love and care for him for the rest of his time. Thank you for giving an FIV cat a chance! He sounds lovely. Photos please!

I'd check with the vet about his feeding, just to be on the safe side.

Best luck and keep us posted

x

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 15:18:30 PM »
Hi Donna and  :welcome: to Purrs.

I can't offer any advice on FIV care I'm afraid but I know there are several "experts" on here who will be able to help you out.

Bell sounds wonderful and is very lucky to have found you .... fingers crossed all your TLC and patience will pay off and you will have another furry in your life.

In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline donna

• Kitten
FIV Advice Needed Please!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 14:14:23 PM »
Hi:)

I have recently been adopted by a poory-sick furry friend who we have called Bell.
He arrived in my hay store in a real mess and near to collapse with exhaustion and malnutrition.
Took him straight to the vet who has blood tested him and found severe anemia and FIV and one liver function test was abnormal. Kidney function and other liver test was normal.

He had severe gingivitis and mouth was very swollen. The vet gave him a week to 10 days before we would have to ease his way and put him to sleep. Well, that was 5 weeks ago and he is still with us!

He has had a course of anti biotic which has improved but not cured the sore gums and mouth. He is still very smelly and drooly, but is improving slowly. We are back at the vet for a check up tomorrow, so shall see whats else can be done to help him.
He is eating small ammounts at a time, approx every 2 hours he has 1 or 2 spoonfulls of whatever food I can get him to eat, mainly sardines, tuna, cooked chicken and fish, some types of cat food (when he will eat it! ). A friend reccommended to boil some rice untill its gone sticky and add it to minced cooked chicken, meat or fish...he enjoys that..sometimes!
I feed cooked not raw as I'm worried about his immune system coping with any bacteria that may be on raw meat....any advice on this?

The one thing he goes nutty for is butchers tripe dog food...he actually elbowed my dog away from his food bowl to get it! I have read that cats shouldnt have dog food, but also read that they will eat what they need.
 I could do with some advice on this please cos i dont want to cause him further problems by giving him something he shouldnt have, at the mo he only has it as a last resort if it's the only thing I can get him to eat on that day.

He had difficulty maintaining his own body temp at first so he spends most of his time snoozing on a wheat bag thats tucked inside in a fleecy blanket ....I think he is now maintaining his own temp, but sooo enjoys his 'Hottie Bags' so keeping up with them cos it makes him smile :)

He has the homeopathic remedy Mercury for the sore gums/mouth twice a day and also the FIV remedy once a week.
Bell is slowly gaining weight, but is still so painfully thin and weak. He will now get up and have a wander round the sitting room when he feels like it and has started to groom himself a little again. Theres a shine coming back his coat as well :)

I really need advice about the food and also what dosage Vit C and the dose for any other vitamins he should be having.
Any advice at all on how to help him is gratefully received!

He is a fairly happy boy at the mo, on good days he will follow me round and jump up for a cuddle, he is still wobbily on his legs and the vet says he has muscle wastage. His purrs at me even when I just look at him and enjoys sitting snuggling and being groomed. Although his appetite does vary, its got much better since his mouth has improved, I'm not having to tempt him quite so much and he will now go to his food bowl himself when I pop his food in for him. So his life quality is reasonably ok at the mo.

I do know that we may still loose this fight for him, he is a very poorly boy, but were not going down that road without trying everything first !

Bell is the second Cat Person to have adopted us from the hay barn. This time last year I found our Daisy-Adora. She had crawled in there onto a bale of hay after being attacked by something, poss a fox or other animal. She had 2 huge open and infected wounds on her side. Daisy went thro a horrendous ordeal of 2 operations, daily vet visits to change dressings, it was a slow recovery but we got there in the end. She is now as fit as a fiddle and SUCH a happy person :)

Again...Any advice about Bells treatment, feed..anything that may help to save my liddle friend is so gratefully received.

Thank You!
With Love
donna :)xx

http://www.raceforlifesponsorme.org/raceforRheta

Link to CatChat