Author Topic: RIP Chubby: FIV, chubby cat and non-retracting claws  (Read 35748 times)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
Re: FIV, chubby cat and non-retracting claws
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2011, 14:26:54 PM »
Just a quick note - Chubby has been well and lapping up the recent sunshine. I have another stray indoors just now and he's under a different vet, and when I mentioned to her that I have a FIVer in the family, she said I should get him vaccinated against the 'flu, as apparently flu + fiv is disastrous.

What do you guys think?

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2011, 01:55:09 AM »
So poleased that Chubby is back and settled  ;D

Offline clarenmax

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2011, 22:31:34 PM »
Chubby is gorgeous, and he's definitely landed on his paws finding you  :hug:

As a fellow FIV slave I'm kind of biased about how wonderful they are, and your vet Neil sounds wonderful too, hang on to him  :)

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2011, 19:14:10 PM »
Looks like it's going to be Okay, he slept on the bed all day and has eaten well, you were right, Gill.

I thought about Tramp when I was chasing Chubby around the house yesterday, it really helped to keep my focus on why I'm doing this. Thank you Michelle. And Tramp, a little bit of you lives on with Chubby.

Gratitude to everyone else for the encouragement and advice , I may have wee on my shoes but my heart is full.  :hug: :thanks: :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2011, 02:06:44 AM »
That Neil sounds great and so pleased you have a real heads up on Chubby  :hug: :hug:

He will forgive you as he gets hungry and wont want to lose his creature comforts but will remember for next time LOL

I had to use a brush to try and push Sasa from out under the bed last time but took me 3 days to catch her last summer.........didnt want to tell you that bit  :rofl: :rofl:

I didnt used to have an under the bed and I cant reach the centre and she knew it!! I forgot to shut the bedroom door and she flew upstairs!

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 20:38:33 PM »
What a wonderful vet you have found and what wonderful slaves Chubby has found!

It sounds like he's had a very rough time of it and couldn't have landed on his paws any better with you. Poor boy, is it any wonder he's so nervous of people.

Great news that he's otherwise fit and healthy and will now receive all the long term care he needs :Luv:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 20:11:20 PM »
Chubby was not a good cat, he pee'd all over the place and led me a merry dance around the house before I finally got him cornered at the top of the stairs - much akin to your method, Gill, except I had to adopt a mop to poke him out from under the bed in the first place.
He left a big puddle on the stair carpet (made from plastic fleece and rubber backed so will go in the washing machine) but eventually gave in and crawled into the basket.

Phew. Sylvester (2) came to poke a paw through the basket door, he's a terrible tease. Theo (5) (our other ex-stray and boss of the household) took the opportunity for a good sniff but backed off without incident.

Neil, totally new fave vet  :Luv:, spent almost an hour with us. Chubs was fine in the car but terrified at the vet, he pee'd through the bottom of the basket all over the vet's waiting room floor which actually meant we jumped the queue  :naughty: Good Boy Chubby... ;D

The lovely receptionist / tech washed out his basket and provided me with a puppy pad to get us home (dry) and popped his soggy blanket in a bag - real five star treatment.

In the room with Neil, Chubby was wide eyed, flat eared and alert but didn't strike out, bless. We heard his voice for the first time, he has a low tenor that says clearly "HEWWO!"  and "GERROFF!" and "NO!" that raised everyone's eyebrows and had the tech in stitches  :rofl: .

Under cover of a soft towel he froze nicely and let Neil examine him thoroughly. He didn't squeal at all when he manipulated his hips, so maybe arthritis isn't the right diagnosis after all (Rich only ever manipulated him when he was under anaesthetic, so he wouldn't have been able to gauge a pain reaction). Neil didn't feel the characteristic crunching associated with arthritis so thinks it's an old healed injury that may not have healed quite right.

Chubby weighs in a 5.75 Kg.

Neil also thinks he may be a bit younger than previously thought. Although it's a difficult call he feels there is enough healthy gum tissue and really good teeth to suggest he's nearer 5 than 8, and he's generally in very rude health indeed  :)

Chubby has certainly had a traumatic event that has led to his back feet and hips being injured, one paw doesn't sit right and two of his toes are in fact broken: the claw is not actually attached to anything, the pads on one back paw sit proud and don't naturally curl inwards. Now it's not hurting Chubby, it seems, but it does explain why these claws just kind of stick out a funny angles. Neil offered a de-claw for these two toes, as they are clearly already smashed, but he said it would be an unnecessary procedure with no real benefit to anyone, a lot to put Chubby through and I would still have to clip his other claws anyway.

Neil sees a crush injury on one back paw that has been left untreated and has led to this deformity, the other back paw also has a broken toe and some ligament damage, but doesn't looked crushed like the other one. This combined with the immobility and reduced width of his hips, strongly suggests he was run over by a vehicle some time ago, maybe as a youngster, and the hip has not developed properly. I know he had these narrow hips (which are way out of proportion the the rest of him) when he first came to us for food in 2009, so this didn't happen during his 3 month absence last winter, but was an earlier incident, and goes to support my instinct that he has been outside for years, maybe forever.  :'(

Chubs allowed the (really) short nail clip without any complaint. Neil showed me the dangly nature of his broken toes that will continue to grow claws. The one I had concerns about looking sore is actually one of the deformed toes showing evidence of crush injury, and is indeed injured, but this is recent and might have been caught in the plastic carpet!

Now to his FIV - Neil has a slightly different take to Richard - he doesn't support Richard's decision to de-tooth him (to lessen his infectability), as Chubby has shown he is non-aggressive to other cats so feels this was a step too far, and the risk of spreading the infection to my -ve residents by "received" bite still exists. I feel terrible about this now, poor Chubs. However, Neil admits that because of his de-tooth, he is less likely to pick a fight so maybe it has contributed to his continued safety in some small way, but he wouldn't have recommended this drastic measure. God, no wonder Chubby hates me. Neil's happy that Chubby is as happy and healthy as he could be, given his history and status, and recommends I just keep on doing what I'm doing, but has prescribed a trial size metacam for his dicky hip should the manicure not relieve his painful gait.

Neil gave him a thorough comb through while he was still and has relieved him of a nasty pile up in the middle of his back. I'm pleased that I've been using the appropriate flea and worm treatments, with a hands off cat all I can do is Capstar his fleas. Now I know how much he actually weighs, however, I need to increase his worming dose to 1.5 sachets of Panacur granules, and continue to Indorex his sleeping area as he did have some flea dirt in his scrapings.

Chubs went straight out when we got home, he's still sitting out on my porch seat after 2 hours and doesn't want to come in. The rain has stopped so he's not getting wet, but he's proper got the hump. I think come supper time he'll have forgiven me enough to partake of a small tin of tuna as a special treat, but I want him to come in for this so I'm not taking any grub outside for his convenience.

Mike just came home from work - I've regaled him with the tale and he's distraught about the poor little guy's story. I think Chubby might get extra chicken tonight.

Much peace to all... sighs with relief and acceptance. 

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 15:41:51 PM »
I have to trap my semi feral Sasa, she wont go near a carrier and I have to shut all the doors and get her in one room.............I use the hall and then trap her in one corner with the cage and its door..........all one end opens ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and then I can stroke her and she freezes and with cage covered with a towel , eventually I can gentley push her in........she is nearly 6.5 kgs lol.

Its the only time I can touch her except on vets table.

She doest want to hurt me so I am lucky.

Good luck  :innocent:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 15:36:27 PM »
Haha, just went to check the 5 carriers in case Chubs had taken residence. No HE hasn't but Pursley and Sly are occupying the two nearest the radiators. Smart.

Now how come they won't go near the boxes when it's their turn to go to the vet??  :sneaky:

Chubs is still under the bed eyeing me with great suspicion.   :shify: I think he's twigged.

Looking for a board to block off the cat flap - Chubby is strong enough to bust out past the locking mechanism when he puts his shoulder against it. Can't find anything except a horrible picture bought as a gift for our housewarming, I never liked it. That'll do then, perhaps it just fell of the wall. :P

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 13:06:41 PM »
he is lovely!!  hope his feet get sorted

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 11:25:02 AM »
Good luck at the vets and hope Neil can sort Chubby out nailwise  :hug: :hug:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 11:21:43 AM »
Hi Michelle and thank you for the wave!

So sorry to hear about Tramp, it sounds like he found a most loving home with you. I wish Chubby would sleep long enough for me to get close to him, but the moment I move towards him, he's off under the bed. Maybe he just needs a few more months...sigh.

Chubby is booked in to see great vet (cat oriented) Neil this afternoon. Neil's practice doesn't discount for treating strays which is why I took him to Richard's in the first instance, but Richard has left his practice  :( , so I'll have to stump up the full whack unless Chubby can charm a little discount out of Neil as he's a furry friend in need.

I'll let you know what Neil says about his claws - i managed to get a really good look at his back foot yesterday (he forgets how much he detests me when there's a slab of cooked chicken under his nose) and there's a definite dark red ring around one of the nail beds that looks sore, so I think he's caught it which may explain why he's extra lame at the moment.

I've spaced five carriers around the house in the vain hope that he'll hide in one of them when I come for him. Fat chance! :rofl: It'll be like an episode of Benny Hill, as usual.
It's raining today, so he hurried back in after his toilet stop this morning, and is showing every sign of holing up under the bed until it stops.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 22:04:07 PM »
Hi and  :welcome:

I lost my FIV boy Tramp in December - He lived with my 10 other cats who don't have FIV !

Funny you should say about the claws because Tramp had the same problem, I used to clip one as he slept lol took me weeks to get all of them clipped!

Think I would take Chubby to the vets for it to be done, they can clip them really short so they take longer to grow back.

Chubby is lucky he found you....good luck with him, so glad you're not afraid to keep him with your other cats

Michelle

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 10:41:19 AM »
All I can say aboiut his weight is that dry food puts on the kilos so more wet and less dry could help.

Being a feral for so long, he probably eats everything in case there is no more coming for a while, whether he will learn different eventually I dont know.

If you are going to reduce his food at all only do it in very small amounts very slowly and start with the dry, I am afraid I am not good at this and have two cats over 6kg! One is enormous and big boned but after 6 yrs he seems to have stabalized weightwise but the semi fereal still is piling on the kgs despite not eating that much.

I am sure bad backgrounds which both these have affects how they eat. Misa the giant cant walk past a dish without tasting it but if he eats too much his tummy rebels and he is sick.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 08:38:11 AM »
Thanks, Gill. I knew de-clawing was frowned upon here, I didn't know it was illegal - gosh brilliant!

I have the day off on Thursday, I'll see if we can chase little Chubby back into the bathroom (the only place he can't hide) and box him up for Richard to see him then.

Will keep you posted. Any thoughts on the obesity link? Or is it just him being greedy and sedentary these days (we free feed Applaws dry Chicken and supplement this with whatever wet pouches are on offer - seems to be a successful combination) ?

Ta
 :thanks:

Sheila

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 23:35:02 PM »
I think a lot of older cats cant retract back claws very well and I have a semi-feral that has to be trapped to get to the vets cos after she has lived hear for nearly 6 years I still cant touch her, although she loves her creature comforts.

I would suggest talking to your vet about Chubbys claws cos declawing is illegal in this country. except on abolute essential medical grounds.

The back claws in my experience tend to get very thick and I would expect that your vet would clip them for you, my vet did Duchas. I am supprised that he did not see them and offer when you were last there..................no I am not lol  ,cos I have had to ask to get claws clipped!!

Once clipped properly they will take quite a long time to grow again, unlike the front claws which seem to grow at a rapid rate and are sharpened on cat scratching posts and mats.

Sasa my SF freezes once on the vets table and I forgot this year to ask my vet , also called Richard, to look at her claws and also at Misas, but if necessary they can give a shot of gas to give just enough time to do claws if he doesnt freeze.

So that would be my recommendation to solve claws but of course you will have to trap him again.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 22:11:45 PM »
Hi Gill,

He is a lovely chunk of puss, thanks, I think so too.  :)

Mike and I are in East London, UK. Chubby is neutered and microchipped to me (he had no chip when we took him in). He's around late middle age, vet thinks between 8 and 10, so he's done well to last this long on the outside and was certainly on his last legs when we finally got him indoors.

Hopefully someone will have some good advice for me about getting his claws under control, they are clearly giving him some trouble, but never having seen this condition before I'm stuck. Once they are shorter, I feel he will be happier and may take a bit more interest in exercise.

It was one HECK of a job getting him to the vet for his various treatments, by the way. He really doesn't like me catching him, so I'd rather try to resolve his issues without having to trap him for the vet to see him every time he needs a manicure. I'm no wuss when it comes to claw clipping, and we have one other pretty awkward customer, but Chubby is totally hands-off.  >:(

Thanks for the wave!

Sheila

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 19:59:25 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs  ;D

Chubby is just a hunk  ;D

A couple of questions to help people to answer:

Where abouts do you live, ie are you in the UK? Its just that if you are in the States for example care from vets is maybe a bit different.

Is Chubby neutered now and chipped?

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
RIP Chubby: FIV, chubby cat and non-retracting claws
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 18:29:12 PM »
 :-[

Hi all.

Here's the quick bit...

My ex-stray Chubby, who has been settling in with me for about 8 months now, but is still very much "hands off", has been gradually beefing up - he's now pretty huge around the middle, I guess around 5-6 kilos. I've read quite a few blogs on this site and others and this does seem to be a fairly common theme. My short question is this...do FIV and obesity go together?
Also he has arthritis in his hip joints and broken tendons in his back feet that prevent him from retracting four of his claws, and prevent him from exercising as perhaps he should, the claws are now quite long and need clipping, the unretracted ones tap on the floor and look uncomfortable for him. I detest the idea of de-clawing, or knuckle amputation, but as I can't get hands on the beastie to clip his nails, and he can't seem to bite them down himself, would this be an occasion where de-clawing the injured toes is a fair solution? If not this, then how do I get to him for this otherwise simple procedure? Knock out drops, anyone?

Here's the story.

He was a lovely when he first turned up. He broke in most nights - I don't lock the cat flap so occasionally find strays sitting pretty in my kitchen - and helped himself to the resident cat food. My cats weren't bothered by him at all, I suspected that he was sleeping inside on cold nights too but only ever found him on the couch once. This suited everyone, he was happy to drop in when he needed us, and disappear when he didn't. We named him Chubby because of his chubby cheeks - long fur around his cheeks made him look quite pudgy, although back then he was just average sized.

Then last winter he disappeared for months. Until one freezing cold day in March 2010, there he was on the back step, looking into my eyes challenging me not to feed him. Of course I did, and noticed he was limping badly, his claws wouldn't retract on his back feet and he was matted and dirty. It was time to act.

I called the local warden who leant me his trap and we got him indoors, made the vet appointment, went through major trauma when he escaped and had to be re-trapped, then finally got him before the vet.

Fab vet Richard saw him. Richard removed his billies, diagnosed arthritis as being the cause of his lameness, took a blood sample and sent me off with a pat on the head and a very smelly, angry wild beast.

It was Richard who, 24 hrs later,  talked me through the initial panic when his results came back +ve. We re-did the test via Glasgow, it was confirmed. Initially the idea was to TNR Chubby, but this diagnosis changed everything and I agreed to bring Chubby in to my household of five FIV negative residents. Richard did me a deal on a full dental that included removing his two top canines (no biting see?) and threw in a microchip.

Chubby lived in my bathroom for two weeks whilst his stink subsided and his hormones settled down. Once he was clean and sober he was allowed to escape again, this time he was back in time for dinner, and hasn't strayed further than next door ever since.

Now he lives in the house every day, cleverly avoiding all contact with me except at meal times, but he's so cute I don't mind. He sleeps at the bottom of the bed, tucked underneath the central heating radiator. When I make breakfast he peers at me from under the kitchen table, then wobbles off into the garden for his morning poo which he fastidiously and furiously buries, sits on my porch chair for an hour or so, then back to bed till teatime when the routine begins again.

He gets his meds by food - a tastless wormer and capstar for fleas if I see him scratching. He has unquestioned respect of all my residents cats, there's never been a fight, just the occasional rumble when Sylvester the 2 year old gets too close to Chubby's dinner.

All thoughts gratefully received.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 12:20:37 PM by sheilarose »

Link to CatChat