Author Topic: FIV and insurance?  (Read 12063 times)

Offline sarahb7538

• Kitten
Re: FIV and insurance?
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 16:17:54 PM »
I have also recently taken out a policy with AXA for my FIV puss. I looked into a lot of insurance companies and AXA were definately the best :)

Offline clarenmax

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 20:04:35 PM »
Excellent  ;D

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Billy and Zarny (Benji, Fred and Ginger, gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 20:01:27 PM »
To be honest I had assumed they would not cover for mouth problems, as when I researched FIV the general view was that FIV cats do have worse teeth than non-FIV. What I didn't expect was that huge list to be excluded!
I have now gone for the AXA insurance policy, so Benji is insured, just waiting for the paperwork to come through in the post, they seem to have the best policy and the best attitude towards FIV, and it is only £8 a month for Benji's insurance, peace of mind :)
Thanks for your advice and help!

Jen and Benji
...pick yourself up, dust yourself off, start all over again...

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 12:26:57 PM »
That's really interesting Clare - I have never insured any of mine as I assumed that insurance companies would just put everything down to their FIV. I might look into AXA then and get some quotes, as our current vet is really good and knows her stuff. To be fair I've never had any large bills (until Biscuits op today!) but when you have ongoing things it does add up.....and like you say a lot of their issues are due to old age rather than specifically the FIV (well it certainly has been with all mine anyway.)

Something to think about!

Offline clarenmax

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 13:54:43 PM »
Dental work is covered as long as it is not just for cosmetic reasons......Frantas claims settled without problem

Ah that's interesting, maybe it was excluded due to the FIV and known problems with Max then  :shy:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 13:52:07 PM »
Dental work is covered as long as it is not just for cosmetic reasons......Frantas claims settled without problem

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 09:21:37 AM »
thanks for your help, I think I will go with AXA then, like you said for £10 a month, its peace of mind really, I would hate for Benji to not have the best care available because I did not have access to lots of money right then and there.
Thanks
Jen and Benji

Offline clarenmax

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 13:33:59 PM »
Hiya, I can defo recommend AXA for insuring FIV furries  ;D

I had Max insured with them for years, having declared the FIV originally, and was worried that anything maybe except broken bones or things like that would be excluded.  However, they were great with all of his kidney/thyroid issues, which can be exacerbated by the FIV, but are not specifically caused by it.  My vet was also fab, stating that all issues were age related as opposed to FIV related.

It does all depend on your vet I guess, but I never had any problems at all. 

When I insured Poot I wanted the FIV down as a listed condiiton, but apparently they don't do that any more, and each claim is specifically discussed with the vet to see if any pre-existing conditions would mean they would turn down the claim.

The only thing you won't find covered is dental work (for FIVs or non-FIVs) as most policies exclude this as standard.

I think for the sake of £10 a month or whatever they quote you, the peace of mind is worth the money  :)

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
FIV and insurance?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 13:23:38 PM »
Hi,
I have been debating whether to get Benji insured and getting quotes and contacting insurance companies to find out exactly what they exclude due to his FIV status and I am surprised at how much is excluded! the only company I have found that does not have a 'list' of exclusions is AXA, who go by what the vet says, whether it is linked with his FIV. Does anyone have any experience with this type of policy? What kind of things would a vet link with FIV? Does it depend entirely upon the vet? Have any of you found it worthwhile to insure your FIV cats? the list of excluded illnesses from one company included bacterial infections, viral infections, skin problems, mouth problems, stomach problems, kidney problems, cat flu, allergies and cancer, as they said he was predisposed to all of these. Would a vet say the same thing or is it an insurance company covering its back so to speak?
Thanks for any help
Jen and Benji

Link to CatChat