Author Topic: walking the cat...  (Read 9197 times)

Offline clarenmax

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
Re: walking the cat...
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2007, 11:06:39 AM »
I've often thought of the harness idea, but have never gone through with it as there are many cats in our road, and I just don't want to expose Max to any potential 'face to face' contact with other cats, or indeed any germs/lurgies which may be present outside.

I know that by having the windows open even a tiny bit there is the risk of airborne viruses, but for me taking Max outside is a risk I just wouldn't want to take really, even though the little monster does occasionally get through my legs and out of the front door, its only for a second, then he's back inside again  :evillaugh:

I guess that unless we do annual bloods on our FIV cats, we don't really know to what extent the immune system is compromised?

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2007, 10:36:41 AM »
The reason that FIV+ pusscats need to be indoor is not just about controlling any risk of their passing it on.

I and Cats Protection agree 100%, keeping in is very much for the sake of the FIV cat as their immune system is not as robust as a 'normal' cat and there are much virus and bacteria out there that would not necessarily be of detriment to a 'normal' cat but to a FIV cat could be life threatening.

Re a harness, unfortunately some cats have lost their lives to these e.g. recently on 2 separate occasions a cat has seen a bird on the fence simply slipped the harness jumped over the fence, shot through the neighbours garden and straight into the path of a car. I have heard on a number of occasions mishaps to cats who had a harness on.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007, 02:37:54 AM »
There's something that's concerning me here that nobody seems to have noticed.

The reason that FIV+ pusscats need to be indoor is not just about controlling any risk of their passing it on.

It also has rather a lot to do with protecting them from potential sources of bacterial or viral infection - namely, other cats and their effluence.

I'm not saying don't or anything but just bear in mind - is where you want to take your cat safe for him as an immunocompromised individual?

There are window boxy things I've seen photos of for people that don't have gardens but want their cat to be able to get a bit of fresh air - maybe that's worth looking into too? Bit like a cat balcony, I s'pose. I'm saving up cash to get net frames to put into my upstairs windows so that I can have them all wiiiiiiiiiide open and not worry about anyone getting out - that might work too.

Please forgive me if it sounds like I'm trying to teach my grandmother to suck eggs - I am acutely aware that any or all of you probably already know this stuff and then some, but I just wanted to make sure it got said. :)
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007, 16:24:23 PM »
There is a Bengal breeder who makes little jacket type harnesses and they cant break free - I think it is Spoticatz.  They are really cute
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2007, 01:08:33 AM »
Kockas harness was actually one made for a rabbit cos the cat ones were not right for her cos she was very small and I think they also had a very small length between the front section and back which was not right for her. It used to fit just right and I bought a lightweight extendable lead to attach to the collar.

When we went on our first and last holiday she used to go for walks on the stop offs on the way there and back and we would walk round the MOTOs. People used to look and think awwwwwwwww a little grey dog and then do a double take when they realized it was a cat  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2007, 22:28:13 PM »
Great topic. My sister used a harness on her Spenny to get him used to their new garden when they moved. Worked well and yes....slow walks!

The only concern I would have is living in a built up area there are likely to be dogs around. I would take care with this. Not all dog owners are considerate or careful enough to keep their dogs harnessed.

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 20:10:58 PM »
 Hi Kate

The woman who did our house check a couple of week ago was telling us that she now took her cat out on a harness as she lost her previous cat to a RTA, so wasn't taking any chances with her present cat.  She said he loved it and would recommend it to everyone to prevent the heartache of the loss of our babes to a RTA.

PS she takes this cat out in his own made to measure clothes and t-shirts  ;)
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 19:58:47 PM »
My very first cat, Mouse, used to go for walks with me regularly. They had not invented cat harnesses at that stage so it was just a light-weight leash on a collar (very high risk) but he took to it like a trooper. I used to take him to the beach when I went surfing and he and I would wander along the rocky bits of the beach looking into rock pools. He was also the purrfect colour for the school I supported in the Head of the River races so each year we would go to the race with his leash woven in black and magenta ribbons and his collar adorned with black and magenta ribbons and promenade with the toffs - very classy even if I do say so myself. He seemed to enjoy it, but as Lynn points out - you should not expect to get too far too soon. ;D

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 18:59:59 PM »
I was recently looking at cat harnsses and found this site http://www.norgeskaukatt.co.uk/Harness.html ... they look lovely and aren't to expensive.

They are fantastic harnesses and the lady who makes them is absolutely lovely and will tell you how to measure your cat so you get one that fits perfectly.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 19:03:55 PM by Team Svartalfheim's »
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Mojo

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 15:51:58 PM »
Just caught up with this thread...

Was considering doing this with Mango & Chutney, as  I live in a "maisonette" type place which has no garden. I dont know if Chutney would appreciate a lead or harness, but I think Mango would be ok with it.

Is it still worth trying them even though they are now over a year old? I have read that its best to try this sort of thing when they are kittens. Is a rabbit harness best?

Mojo  ;)

Add Glitter to Pictures

R.I.P My beautiful Mango xx 13/05/2006 - 01/11/2009

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 09:31:28 AM »
Good luck with trying it - and if you do take him outside, dont forget that he will then needed the added protection from things like vaccinations, worm and de-flea treatments if not already done.
Please spay your cat

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 20:52:54 PM »
I was recently looking at cat harnsses and found this site http://www.norgeskaukatt.co.uk/Harness.html ... they look lovely and aren't to expensive.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 19:09:55 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs Kate! Glad you found us and glad Frank (?) is doing so well.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 19:09:44 PM »
MY kocka used to love going for walks in her harness and would tell me when she wanted to or not  ;D

I bought it cos we went on holiday and she used to walk round the farmhouse outside.

Make sure the harness fits well and I attached a lightweight extendable dog lead to the lead so she could walk off a bit furthe than me, she was only a lightweight cat. Because she was a small cat and the cat harnesses seemed to have such a short bit between the front and back section I bought a rabbit harness and it was great.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 18:54:46 PM »
Hiya

some people dont like them and there are various risks..mainly them struggling and getting free and running off, secondly them getting tangled up and strangling but since you are not intending tethering him thats not an issue.

personally i had a harness for my fraser and we took him out for little walks and he was FINE AND PERFECTLY HAPPY.  you must make sure it is very tighly secured though and i'd let him get used to the harness in the house for a few weeks before taking him out.  the only thing with cats is dont expect to walk fast  :rofl:  but even if its just for 10 mins while he has a chew on grass or something i think that would be fine, he cant pass the fiv on unless he manages to bite another cats ie its not airborne.

I wouldnt carry him out and then put him on the ground in the middle of a wide open space to start with, just start off around the door or stairwell if you live in an upstairs flat.

Good luck and let us know how you get on

Offline frankthecat

• Kitten
walking the cat...
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 18:18:11 PM »
Hi there

First can I say how pleased I am this forum has transferred over from catchat- I used to go there a lot when we first got our FIV cat.

Well, we've now had him about 18months and hes lovely. But he keeps trying to get outside! We're in a 2nd floor two bedroom flat (which is why we wanted rescue FIV cat) so no potential cat-proof garden to let him out in. I've seen in pet shops you can get small dog/cat harness to take them for walks, but I wasnt sure if its a good idea. Would it be ok with his FIV? And has anyone any experience of walking a cat?! do they like it? I am worried it will be cruel to show him the outside world again but not let him run about free.

Any advice gratefully received.
Kate

Link to CatChat