Author Topic: Here we go - Biscuit again  (Read 10527 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Here we go - Biscuit again
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2008, 10:12:12 AM »
Am glad he seems better now. Molly hates her bloods being taken, so they put an anesthetic gel on her neck and she is fine.
Please spay your cat

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2008, 21:15:39 PM »
Quick update - All fine on the poo front  ;) Cheesecat I don't know how to do the quote things but you did make me laugh!

Biscuit seems fine. Doesn't seem to be drinking as much either (although I've been away a lot this weekend), so going to keep an eye and see whether the stress of blood tests needs to be faced. Would be good to have a baseline I suppose but we'll see.

x

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2008, 16:01:54 PM »
produced a beautiful normal looking specimen

Something only a true cat lover would say  ;)

Glad he is feeling a bit better. lots of love and headbutts from us lot :hug:
Sorry I didn't PM you back, I will do in a sec, just remembered something I HAVE to do before 4.30.. ooopsssss  :rofl:
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2008, 13:38:25 PM »
Don't say that Des, I've just ordered some!

Today's good news is that the poor lad has recovered from the vets visit (he wasn't himself after we'd been). He's gone 24 hours without a poo but produced a beautiful normal looking specimen this morning  :evillaugh:

Whether that's the steroid injection or the food I don't know but it's worked  ;)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2008, 08:21:22 AM »
Seraquin is what I use, but it isn't going down as well at the moment!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2008, 23:25:01 PM »
I've been admiring his pictures - he's a lovely boy, hope he feels better soon  :Luv:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2008, 17:42:59 PM »
Sorry your vet visit didnt go smoothly  :hug: im sure he will forget about it after another portion of sensitivity

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2008, 11:41:19 AM »
Well no blood test results for another week - Vet couldn't get blood, Biscuit was really stressed and has to go back in week to be sedated. Not nice to see, I won't be putting any of them through that again.

Steroid jab for diarrhea and some Royal canin sensitivity dry food (which he's scoffed down and seemed to enjoy), and some ear drops (he's always had manky ears).

Vet has suggested drinking could be linked to diarrhea, will wait and see.

Certainly don't feel any better after that visit, but hopefully food will help his tummy. Neck doesn't look good though  :(

x

Offline clarenmax

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2008, 09:58:31 AM »
I have been sent some exclusive pictures  :shify: of gorgeous Biscuit. He looks a million times better than the day me and Dawn dropped him off as a "foster" and he was gorgeous then!

Such a gorgeous babe  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 09:37:16 AM »
Thanks Helen - I know I'd promised ages ago to send you some but I'm a bit rubbish  :evillaugh: Will go have a nosy now....Dawn thanks for putting these on here  :hug:

Des thanks for the offer re the supplements - I've had a look through previous threads and have picked out Seraquin as a possibility, will have a chat to vet later (but don't think I need a prescription?).

Millysmum, he's been on Metacam for some time before the diarrhea started so don't think is linked. Is odd it's started but then my previous FIV oldies have all had recurrent diarrhea, Ted had it permanently for 3 years and nothing sorted him! Saying that there was a very normal looking one this morning, so maybe it's going to settle again for a while.

We're off to the vets shortly for a full blood profile (I think, is worth doing while we're at it) and should have results tonight. Will be telling the vet about the locum  :-[

Glad you all think Biscuit is gorgeous  :Luv: He's such a cuddly mummy's boy, I am still smitten  :Luv2:

Keep you posted on results, thanks again folks
x

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 00:24:37 AM »
Sorry Biscuit isn't feeling too well  :hug: As for that ignorant Vet  >:( I'd be reporting her to the RCVS, she obviously wasn't listening in those lectures!

Biscuit is stunning  :Luv2: I've nabbed his pic and added him to the Purrs FIV roll of honour thread  :)

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 20:47:16 PM »
I have been sent some exclusive pictures  :shify: of gorgeous Biscuit. He looks a million times better than the day me and Dawn dropped him off as a "foster" and he was gorgeous then! - he is of course far too charming to stay a foster for long .... Schmew was smitten! :evillaugh:

Here's the stunning boy  :Luv:

To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 18:42:57 PM »
Metacam can upset tummies if it coinsided with that. I hope hes feeling better soon and well done on not flooring the locum, what an ignorant attitude  >:(

Offline clarenmax

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 09:23:45 AM »
Hiya Schmew, sending big headrubs to Biscuit, hope he's feeling much better soon.

I've not had to starve Max for his bloodtests recently and we've been doing kidney function and thyroid?  Seems strange some tell you to starve and others not!

As for the attitude of the locum vet, back to med school I think  >:(  I really struggle to believe that some vets see FIV in such a negative way, and really do not know the facts.  It shocks me.

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 08:47:14 AM »
Hi Schmew  :hug:

I was just thinking about Biscuit at the weekend and meant to send you a PM to pester you for some piccies  ;)

Sorry to hear he is not feeling too good, you are right to feel furious about what the locum vet said! I would be so angry in your shoes. You wonder how someone can be so well educated in animal care and be so blinkered when it comes to some conditions (and not a super rare one at that!)

I can't offer too much advice but I can send my best healing wishes and headrubs for Biscuit  :ahh:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 22:38:31 PM »
i have always had to starve cats for blood tests, it was either for the kidney or liver part of the test, although if they are sent to the lab, I know there is an option to tick starved or unstarved. Rosie had basic pre-op bloods done (despite no op, cheapest way to test her kidney function), and when I asked, the receptionist was rather stumped cos they would normally be starved for that test!! It is the first time I have checked in years though, i automatically starve them if there is a chance they will need bloods, although if I have an evening app, they have a light breakfast and then no food till after (I schedule those as early as pos). Diabetes can be ruled out with a urine sample, if you have a cat willing to oblige - hyper-t can also cause diarrhea issues.
ETA: Metacam can cause kidney issues, but there are supplements you can use for arthritis, pm me, I Can send you some (although be warned, I am a bit useless at getting to the post office, although I have to go next week)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 22:40:50 PM by Desley (booktigger) »
Please spay your cat

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 22:33:44 PM »
Yes I've a feeling this locum would be suggesting similar.

Going to have a chat with my vet tomorrow anyway, see whether he wants him starved or not (not had to do that before for kidney function, and there's no plans to sedate him) and I'm not convinced about blood sugar tests I feel like I'd have seen other things to convince me of a diabetes problem. We'll see. Oh the joys of manky old cats  :Luv2:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 22:16:59 PM »
i can imagine - one of the vets at the other practice i use told my friends mum, who's cat was recently diagnosed, that if she hadn't had him as long, or she had other cats, he would be recommending pts - I can't believe some vets are so behind in their ways.
Please spay your cat

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 22:13:30 PM »
Des I was furious. If she'd said it was because others may be risk to him due to compromised immune system I'd have understood but she meant they could catch FIV off him! I was so shocked! I told her I absolutely disagreed and felt verystrongly about what she'd said. If I'd had time I'd have printed some of the info off the net and dropped it in for her. As it is I will be telling my vet all about it when we see him this week.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 22:02:06 PM »
Fingers crossed it isn't anything serious, and I can't believe your locum vets attitude - my vet has been wary of hospitalising some of mine, but that is cos she bit the vet just for stroking her, and when she was hospitalised (my vet was away that day), they had a wildcat on their hands, and had to ask permission to sedate her just to examine her (suspect they kept her on a low dose all weekend - didn't stop her ripping the bandage to shreds though), so she did at least prove them right.
Please spay your cat

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
Here we go - Biscuit again
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 21:55:26 PM »
My biggest fluffiest babe is having a few problems........  :( :'(

He's fine in himself, but has started with diarrhea. He had it for a couple of days a couple of weeks ago and it sorted itself out, but now it's back. He's had a job at the vets and 5 days of antibiotics but no change. No temperature at vets, but I never feel good about long term diarrhea as to me it just means he's just not getting enough nutrition from his food.

The other thing is he's started drinking loads of water recently. Obviously vet suggested blood tests, but wanted me to go back after he'd been starved so she could do kidney function and blood sugar. However she went on to say she didn't want to hospitalise him as his FIV status meant he was a risk to other patients, so I left before I smacked her one for being so IGNORANT and am waiting til later this week when my own vet is back (was a locum we saw, grr)

Like I say he's fine in himself, eating and pottering about and wanting a fuss  :Luv: He's cleaning himself and seems normal. Saying that he's keen to get out into the run and eat grass....I'd reduced the metacam, but have stopped it now (and feel guilty incase that's caused problems, but it's that rock and a hard place thing about pain and quality of life versus length of life). he doesn't seem to be in any more pain though from his arthritis since it's stopped, but I know they're good at hiding pain  :'(

have to say I've been here with the last 3 of my oldies I've lost, the recurrent diarrhea and eventually weight loss and the kidney failure/tumour diagnosis.........quite possibly jumping the gun too as no test results yet but He's such a babe, and has done so well and looks so good! He's still all filled out and fluffy, all I can do is keep fingers crossed. And try to stop being negative  :shify:

Sorry for going on, just know there's folks out here who understand  :Luv:

fankx

x

Link to CatChat