Author Topic: Where do i start?  (Read 16974 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Where do i start?
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2008, 13:13:10 PM »
There would be a big shock if everyones cats were tested, what would happen then, mass euthanasia? If the irresponsible owners of entire tom cats had their animals neutered the disease would go a long way to disappearing.
I was told that George should have been tested before rehoming any more cats, as it was he died from something much worse, the invisible FIP  :(

Its great that so many Purrs members have FIV furries  ;D

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2008, 09:37:33 AM »
As someone on here has pointed out before, probably lots of us  have rescue cats that are possibly FIV but unless they were sick, they wouldn't be tested and it would make no difference anyway.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline rach

• Adult Cat
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2008, 21:44:37 PM »
Tell it has worked for almost 2 years! I guess our vet isnt trained in being humane, just doing his job.......if he came to our house, saw them both cuddled up on our laps as we watch a film he would change his mind I have no doubt  :wow:

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2008, 19:48:59 PM »
If a cat is found to be FIV I really dont see the need for any other cats in the household to be rehomed, not when they are living together fine. If one of mine were found to be FIV they would be staying here. FIV is not something to worry about when managed properly.
Couldn't agree more!

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2008, 19:47:27 PM »
If a cat is found to be FIV I really dont see the need for any other cats in the household to be rehomed, not when they are living together fine. If one of mine were found to be FIV they would be staying here. FIV is not something to worry about when managed properly.
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2008, 17:59:18 PM »
I think you are doing the best thing keeping them together. I'm sure you won't have any problems - well any more than you do with "normal" cats - so no point testing Rollins as he wants to stay with his bruv  :hug:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline rach

• Adult Cat
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2008, 15:52:41 PM »
Just to clarify the elastic bands are the really big thick ones, not the little thin ones which snap....we flick them, they chase them and bring them back.

When we found out Manson was FIV, the vet told us that Rollins should basically be found another home and be tested. However, what you may not know is that both cats also have deformed back feet and stumps as opposed to paws. Because of this we took them in as indoor cats. For all we know, Rollins could also be FIV, but we will cross that bridge when we come to it. We had to pay £130 for the FIV test and could not afford to get Rollins done too. They are brothers, and very close (most of the time!!!!). Manson has his own litter tray, they have their own food bowls and they are happy.....they cahse each other but do not fight.

At the end of the day, if we had not have taken them both in who would have?

Offline koscha (Ruth M)

• Hero Cat
  • Meowmy to Kelirehenna, Rincewind & Zeratul
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2008, 08:20:56 AM »
First off let me say congrats for being the meowmy of two adorable kitties!  :Luv:

I also have experience of non-FIV and FIV cats living together with no problems. My bridge babe Harry was diagnosed with FIV at the age of 5. At the time there were 4 cats in the house; the other were tested and all remained negative. My 2  babes moved on with me but Mizzy lived with Harry until he went to the bridge aged 15.
As long as they do not get overtly aggressive with each other (Harry was one hell of a fighter when defending his territory- thats how he caught FIV), but we found that they could share bowls without too much risk. If they had bitten each other, that would have been a different matter.

But yes, I would take on an FIV+ cat into a FIV free household again, without fear.

Oh, just in case someone hasn't mentioned it (soz if they have) but just keep a weather eye on Mansons teeth, as FIV can cause problems here. We nearly lost Harry as his mouth got so bad that his gums went necrotic and the only way to halt the spread was to remove all his teeth! Didn't stop im wolfing his biccies though! Just make sure your vet remembers to check his chops at every vet visit... :)

Manson, tubby...nah, uber cuddly thats all  :innocent:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2008, 00:16:44 AM »
Beautiful boys  :Luv2: Manson is on the *ahem* tubby side!

Offline Sylvia

• Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Thomas, Suki, Sweep, Tatty & Tabs
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2008, 23:27:15 PM »
Manson and Rollins are absolutely gorgeous  :Luv: :Luv2:

Our FIV and non FIV kitties all live together.  After all, Tatty had been popping in to share the odd meal (breakfast, elevenses, lunch, tea, supper, midnight snacks etc ...  :rofl: ) for possibly 2-3 years (maybe even more) before becoming a fully fledged member of our household.  Once he had been neutered, and everything had calmed down, we took a long time to ensure that everyone got along well enough, and then we went through the same routine when Tabs joined us.  I believe that, just like any other furry family relationships, the most important thing (apart from  :Luv: ) is that as long as there is no aggression between the family members, then there is no reason why FIV and non FIV cats can't live together.

The Celia Hammond Animal Trust site states about FIV cats that "Provided the cats are not aggressive to other cats, our experiences lead us to believe that there is no reason that they cannot be rehomed with FIV negative cats that are similarly friendly towards other cats", and they have a lot more experience than I, and most vets, do.  ;D

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2008, 19:05:27 PM »
The boys are gorgeous.

What has your vet advised about them living together and the other not having it? I would be interested to know his thoughts as many say FIV cats should not live with none FIV cats. Although if they have already been living together I dont see a reason for this.

Have you had him tested form Glasgow to make sure?

Her vet must be sensible or it would have been bye bye Manson!
Has Rollins been tested?

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2008, 15:22:14 PM »
Des some cats do fight even in rough play in a house and its not age dependant and hygeine in paramount with most illness's anyway so I think a valid point - some sites say they should have different bowls etc but ours are communal so all eat together and use very many of the same litter trays to.  Also some cats are out on a daily basis and can have a fight and can come home with it.

Its just not popssible for all cats to be tested due to the expense - I know we did it once and we had 36 tests through Glasgow at our cost but weighing up the pro's and cons we just let ours live all together happily

Blue is the only test to Glasgow for FIV as outr local CP test all strays and ferals not that I asked for it so they paid and he is negative.

Gem, Beijing and Brodie were tested as vets thought it could be what gem had but as all 2 are related we tested for everything and Beijing is a Cornona carrier, Gem died from FIP and Brodie is clear for all  so sometimes its the luck of the draw

Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2008, 11:02:52 AM »
Hygiene isn't an issue with FIV, it can only be transmitted by bites, so as long as you dont have aggressive cats, the risks are negligible - around 1-2%. Low enough for me to to it, although I know a lot of rescues who wont
Please spay your cat

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2008, 08:59:32 AM »
FIV and non FIv can live together - we had Holly in the Clan and we knew it when we took her on - we have no FIV + from this but do have Beijing Baby as a Corona Virus carrier as her Mum died from FIP but she is here forever just as Gem wanted

I think as long as they get on and hygeine is good then there are no issues there just the odd looks from folks but I would take FIV again as here they can be indoor only with the Indoor section of the Clan.

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2008, 00:28:59 AM »
The boys are gorgeous.

What has your vet advised about them living together and the other not having it? I would be interested to know his thoughts as many say FIV cats should not live with none FIV cats. Although if they have already been living together I dont see a reason for this.

Have you had him tested form Glasgow to make sure?
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2008, 21:22:00 PM »
What gorgeous boys!  :Luv2:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2008, 21:20:20 PM »
I wouldnt class elastic bands and hair bands as toys, more things that could be dangerous. Might be an idea to look on the shop for Da Bird, fantastic toy that very few cats can resist, even my 18.5yo
Please spay your cat

Offline rach

• Adult Cat
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2008, 19:29:58 PM »
Bless them - exercise is just as important as food

ohhh yes, we have the ping pong balls, the light pens, the elastic bands, the hairbands you name it!

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2008, 18:55:29 PM »
they are lovely cats Rach  :Luv: very cute in the boxes
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2008, 18:01:57 PM »
Bless them - exercise is just as important as food
Please spay your cat

Offline rach

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2008, 17:25:46 PM »
rollins is on the left and manson on the right : :evillaugh:

Offline rach

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2008, 17:25:14 PM »
We have tired allsorts but it just wont budge! Have swopped the majority of his food from dry to wet aswell as he has suffered from cystitis and can be greedy with the dry food.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2008, 10:04:29 AM »
Glad to hear he is doing well, but do keep an eye on his weight, as they can have health issues to being overweight.
Please spay your cat

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 20:16:24 PM »
 :welcome: back.  Glad he continues to do well  :)  I think we're long overdue some  :pic: of the handsome young man and his brother  :Luv2:

Offline rach

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 19:55:38 PM »
AWWWWW it has been a while since I have been on here!! It seems like so long ago that Manson was diagnosed. However, I am glad to say that apart from being a tubby little butter is he doing well and is very happy!!  ;D

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2007, 08:05:36 AM »
I am glad he is doing well, cats can live into double figures with FIV, fingers crossed he is one of them.
Please spay your cat

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2007, 00:26:57 AM »
Thats great news Rach.

Glad Mason is doing well, he should be able to live a normal life.

Good luck, he is a special boy to have a Mummy like you

Michelle xxx

Offline rach

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 11:59:04 AM »
Everyone and everything is fine! Apart from him being too greedy at brekkie and puking it up as soon as he had a mad moment. Hes growing nicely too, though still a little behind his brother.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 10:42:48 AM »
Very recently we lost a  20 year old FIV cat that  had been infected for many years, however it was not the FIV that got him in the end. FIV cats really can live a full life and a best to keep them indoors so they are away from the many bugs out there that would effect their immune system more than so called 'normal' cats.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline clarenmax

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007, 16:41:14 PM »
Hiya, just catching up with all the new threads on the site - you'll see my boy on my profile, he's called Max and he's FIV+ as well.

He was diagnosed when he was picked up as a stray aged about 2, he's just turned 8, so I've had him for 6 years with no problems (touch wood!). 

He had to have a few teeth out about a year ago, but apart from that there have been no health worries with him.

Feel free to email me if you like and I can give you a more detailed response, piccies, all sorts of things lol.

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 21:05:01 PM »
Hi Rach, Manson, Rollins (and husband!)

Just caught up with the thread, I hope you're feeling more positive about things now and that the puds are ok and recovering from their ops. I've had FIV+ cats for the last 7 or 8 years, if you want a chat about anything just shout.

Hugs to you all
x

Offline Parée

• Adult Cat
    • Teddy Boys Reunited
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 10:31:49 AM »
Hi Rach
Sorry to here about Manson I know how you feel, did you have his test done at Glasgow I had Merlin first one done at the vet and it was positive and then I had one sent up to Glasgow and the test came back negative, just read all you can about it and give him lots of hugs  :hug:
A cat is for life

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 20:46:46 PM »
Rach,

Sorry to hear your little lad is FIV+  I have no knowledge of this condition I'm afraid so can't really offer any advice (I'm very good at support though and I'm a good listener  ;) )

I have included the Catchat links for you which I'm sure will help:  http://www.catchat.org/fiv.html

This links you back to the old CatChat FIV section so you can trawl through the posts at your leisure: http://www.catchat.org/discus/messages/3780/3780.html?1163695874

Big hugs to you, Manson and Rollins :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 20:12:36 PM »
Sorry to hear your baby has this but at least you know and can start with the supplements etc - veronica from catchat has 4 boys all FIV and some of hers are in to double figures with little or no isues.

At the end of the day he is your baby warts and all and you will learn to adapt he isn't different on the outside just the inside is a bit off.

We had an FIV feral for 9 months she sadly died from stress related cat flu when we moved - 27 got it but poor Holly couldn't fight it despite our wonderful new vet, she was and always will be our Hissy Holly and her consition was just that something she came with, like Bert who is blind, has a heart murmer (discovered when he was 20 - he was 21 in dec 06) he also has arthritus and a blood disorder and is off to the vet on Friday for his full annual booster, Maverick with 3 legs, Phoenix with cardiomyopathy, Peanut with lumps and custs internally a plenty but at the end of the day they are my babies and I won't swap them for the world just make their lives happy and as healthy as we can , non of our "normals" caught this so if your other boy is okay what the hell, they are brothers and will always be your babies no matter what.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 19:21:41 PM »
I've posted this on your original thread too:

Of course you are shocked, Rach,  :hug: but there is a huge group of people on here whose cats are FIV+ and living happy, normal lives - they will give you loads of excellent advice.

:Luv: to Manson and Rollins.

I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 19:10:28 PM »
There is loads of good info, and a good place to start is here, there are loads of people with FIV+ cats, if you go on CC, there is some good stuff in the forum there, and also a really good article on the home page. As I said on your other thread, it isn't a death sentence, cats can live to their teens with it.
Please spay your cat

Offline rach

• Adult Cat
Where do i start?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 18:43:20 PM »
Our little boy Manson has just been diagnosed at FIV+.

The vet has told us a little but I was too upset to care...are there any good websites/info sheets out there?

Link to CatChat