Author Topic: Tragic news about one of our adopted FeLV kittens  (Read 8308 times)

Offline wharfevalley catsprotection

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Bobby - looking for a new home
    • Cats Protection Wharfe Valley
Re: Tragic news about one of our adopted FeLV kittens
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 14:42:38 PM »
Thanks Ela,

We tested them when they were little and then we tested them when they got to six months. Some of the kittens that tested positive at first, shook it off and have re-homed normally.
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 14:38:46 PM »
they did have two tests for FeLV, to make sure.

But were these tests months apart? Also as we all know it has been known for cats to 'shred' FeLV.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 14:44:27 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2008, 10:53:20 AM »
Ela, these are FeLV, not FIV. On the thread about these two kittens, they did have two tests for FeLV, to make sure.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 10:50:31 AM »
Have you had Ace and Adam tested again. As I am sure you know if a kittens is tested too soon it may seem FIV + when in actual fact it could be mums antibodies what have given  result. Cats Protection recommend that kittens are tested at about 5 months old to get an accurate result.

As we all know FIV cats can live as long as any 'normal' cat  and as they are usually kept as indoor cats can actually have a longer lifespan, so unless very ill and not responding to treatment they should not be PTS.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 21:53:55 PM »
Such sad news  :(

The chance of a loving home for however long they have left is a good thing, as long as the new owners are aware of what may be ahead (as I know they were in this case, and will be for Ace and Adam)

x

ccmacey

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 13:44:01 PM »
Of course you done the right thing, I believe every living healthy animal has a right to life and it's good people like you who can change things by giving them a go.

RIP April, although your life was only short Im sure you will be remembered for a tong time to come x

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 12:48:59 PM »
Aww, while it is sad, they were lucky to have been given that chance and got an opportunity of a home life, and got lots of love and attention in her short lifespan. RIP little one.
Please spay your cat

Offline clarenmax

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 09:16:17 AM »
Of course you did the right thing, we can love an awful lot in even a short amount of time. She knew the kind touch of people who loved her, who were pleased to see her, and helped her when she most needed it.

I couldn't agree more.

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 19:33:37 PM »
Thanks so much for these replies, it really helps to have support from people. I'm just so thankful that we found people to look after such needy cats and do the right thing for them. Fingers crossed for Ace and Adam  :hug:
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline J (Indoorcatsuk)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 19:16:50 PM »
Of course you did the right thing, we can love an awful lot in even a short amount of time. She knew the kind touch of people who loved her, who were pleased to see her, and helped her when she most needed it.
A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere. Groucho Marx.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 19:12:06 PM »
You definately give them a chance and they stand more chance in a forever home than stuck in a pen.......no offence meant .

Some cats will be able to fight off problems and others wont, but who can tell which are which . April will have had 7 months of love, care and warmth in a place she knew as home.............what can be better than that  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 19:06:44 PM »
Of course you did the right thing which is what you thought was best for them. it's so sad but at least she had some life and was loved  :(  :hug:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
Tragic news about one of our adopted FeLV kittens
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 13:48:46 PM »
Awful news that one of the female 6 month kittens has died  :(

April were adopted with her sister Amy to a wonderful couple who were well aware that they didn't have much time (around 3 years on average). April developed a tumor 10 days ago and died shortly afterwards. We feel that a healthy cat could have held off the tumor, but poor little April's immune system just couldn't cope with it. Her owners have been AMAZING and although upset, say that they have no hesitation in adopting another FeLV cat again. Fortunately Amy is coping well and doesn't appear to be missing her sister too much.

It makes it so difficult now as we still have Ace and Adam, but with this happening, we wonder whether we're doing the right thing in re-homing. Did the stress of the move put extra strain on April? But on the other hand, Ace and Adam can't stay in a pen forever!

It's just so sad, but we're pleased that we are able to give April love, care and safety for even her short life (7 months) and still believe we did the right thing in letting her and her sister live. We just hope that the others have longer lives  :(

Link to CatChat